CAPoliSciPhD

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just for fun, I thought I would run down my stats and where I applied:

GRE: 740 (V) 700 (Q) 5.0 (WA)

UGPA: 3.93/4.0 (summa cum laude) [mid-sized public university]

Law school GPA: 3.68/4.0 (magna cum laude)

Field: Public Law/Judicial Politics

Applied to: Wisconsin; Ohio State; Northwestern; Virginia; Notre Dame; Washington University in St. Louis

Any thoughts?

twright said:
Field: Public Law/Judicial Politics

Applied to: Wisconsin; Ohio State; Northwestern; Virginia; Notre Dame; Washington University in St. Louis

You have great stats and great chances I think (if the rest of your application is as strong).

One thing though that I read from something that was posted earlier, coming from a poli sci prof from Northwestern:

On the first and third points the committee is assessing your fit to the program. Will there be an advisor here who is willing and able to give you the support needed for success? For example, our department does not have a strong program in public law. Therefore, the committee discounts (but does not automatically reject) applications that propose research in public law.

Source: http://roberts.polisci.googlepages.com/ ... dvice2.doc

Of course, I can't vouch for this as I don't know how old or accurate that is.

Yes, I think that was posted a couple of years ago by the Northwestern professor. Lee Epstein recently left Washington University and is now teaching in both the law school and political science department at Northwestern.

oh my! It's really started! Its unfortunate that I am only awaiting result from one school at this point. The other schools that I have applied to don't come until, I believe, Mid-Feb! Congrats to those accepted thus far and please keep this thread posted on when someone hears back from UVA.

Hi. I can already tell that this site is absolutely bruising to my ego and probably not good for my anxiety. But whatever. I just want to know if I should keep hoping or give up now. I am absolutely stunned at the number of rejections posted on here last year from people with vastly better applications than mine.

If any of you who have knowledge of this field and this process think that I need to just stop waiting for letters and start making other plans, just say so. It'll hurt less now than in March when the thin envelopes arrive.

Okay, here's my story:

-Undergrad GPA 3.52 from a small religious school; major in biblical studies

-Graduate GPA 3.63 from a good-but-not-great seminary (probably top 10, definitely not top 5; such places are seldom ranked). My degree is the MTS for those who know what that is. I focused on the role of religious people and institutions in politics and public policy. Very general and flexible master's program.

-GRE: 660V/620Q/5.0AWA.

-LOR: One from a college prof who I had 5 or 6 classes with and thinks well of me. One from my graduate advisor who is a prominent sociologist of religion. One from a current work supervisor. I'm 28, and finished college at 21 and grad school at 23. I'm hoping a non-academic rec won't sink me. But unlike a lot of the 22 year-olds probably applying post-BA, I've been out of school for a while and had some real jobs and "life experience."

-Personal Statements: I just talked about my ongoing desire to study the influence of religion in politics from a social science perspective and how I already did religion degrees but was always drawn to American politics and need a poli sci dept to continue my studies.

-Work Experience: Two years in parish ministry (not a good fit for me); two years teaching at the secondary and community college level

I applied to (ranked in order of my admittedly weak perception of how "good" the schools are in this area):

-MIT

-Georgetown

-University of Florida

-Washington University in St. Louis

-American

-Boston University

-Boston College

I'll go to MIT if admitted, just because I figure their post-PhD placement is probably the best. But I really would be very happy at Boston University (because I love Boston, love BU, and already have a degree from there) or Georgetown (where a faculty member who I've corresponded with via email before I applied has said my numbers are "good enough to get you in)." UF made the list because I live in Florida and it would be cheap if I get no funding. I hesitate to admit that, until seeing this site, I've considered Boston College, George Washington, and American back-up schools.

Anyway, I really want to spend 4 or 5 years as a PhD student and I really want to teach students about government. I don't want to be famous, and I don't want to write a book a year. I'm not so clueless as to believe I can get in at the Harvards and Columbias, and have spent a lot of time and effort getting over my inferiority complex about not being the best or brightest. I'd like to believe I have a chance at some of these second-tier places.

Thoughts?