PoliSci 2008-2009 Cycle

CAPoliSciPhD

Sam123 - It doesn't look like Brown usually mails out notices until late Feb. to early March. Hopefully they will be a bit earlier this year, but I wouldn't count on it.

More optimistically (at least for those who hate waiting - oh wait, that's all of us), I would place big money on the first notices being received next week. There are a number of schools who typically send first notices the last week of Jan/first days of February...

We're almost there!

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sam123 - It doesn't look like Brown usually mails out notices until late Feb. to early March. Hopefully they will be a bit earlier this year, but I wouldn't count on it.

More optimistically (at least for those who hate waiting - oh wait, that's all of us), I would place big money on the first notices being received next week. There are a number of schools who typically send first notices the last week of Jan/first days of February...

We're almost there!

I think that 'bricking it' pretty accurately sums up how I'm feeling about the next 3 weeks :S

Out of interest, what do people think of UPenn, and what is their reputation like in the USA?

Obviously they're an Ivy, but over here they're not as well ranked and I see they're ranked #28 which isn't great, but they have some great people in their department... What are your thoughts?

Studying math on your own is certainly better than not studying it at all, but unless you take a class and get it on your transcript, you can do little more than mention your independent work in your personal statement. Those minimum courses I listed are on topics that are rather hard to pick up on your own unless you have a natural propensity for it. If you've had at least most of them, then trying to learn on your own might not be too painful.

If you do decide to try learning math on your own, the key is to not gloss over ANYTHING. There is a real temptation to say "OK, I get this" and move on. That's when you miss seemingly innocuous details which turn out to be quite important. Choose a book that has answers in the back including proofs. Since proof reading and writing is the biggest skill involved in this course (beyond memorizing theorems), it does you no good if you can't check yourself. If you find a book that looks interesting, find it on Amazon marketplace and contact the seller to find out if it has proofs in the back.

An alternative you might consider is investing some time in learning a programming language or stats package. While R is the up and coming hot package, Stata, GAUSS, EViews, or any number of others could help your profile.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've taken all the minimum courses you've listed except Real Analysis, am thinking of picking up Rudin and picking up what I can--I have heard Rudin is painful though, so if I can find any easier less compact alternatives, will definitely supplement with those. I also know STATA, perhaps that should help? I might pick up on R if that is the newest thing. Thanks again, good luck in the coming months!

Anyone apply to UVA? One would think decisions would begin to trickle out this week.

Yep, I applied there, and am also waiting, uh, "patiently" to hear back from them....I'm also hoping to hear back from TAMU and UNC, soon. Unless they're rejecting me, in which case, I can wait until I have an acceptance or two to hear the bad news.

Yep, I applied there, and am also waiting, uh, "patiently" to hear back from them....I'm also hoping to hear back from TAMU and UNC, soon. Unless they're rejecting me, in which case, I can wait until I have an acceptance or two to hear the bad news.

UNC was the first school I heard back from last year. I wanna say I got my acceptance in the first week of February. TAMU's came two or three weeks later.

So does anyone think that ANY poli sci programs will get back to people this week?

I wouldn't rule it out. People heard back last year from OSU beginning Jan 28th I think. I applied there so I'm pretty nervous, and sick of waiting.

To the best of my knowledge, another school completed it's first set of decisions last week, but it has to go through the usual approvals before anything gets sent out.

Care to elaborate which schools these are? Does it rhyme with Shmarvard or Flale? Merkeley? Thlanford?

rlayla:

I like the way you think. Sorry to say, I have to keep my lips tight about specifics. The good news is, schools are getting busy making decisions and the news will start pouring in soon enough!

Same here, before you get any ideas about getting info on Blochester or Glintzton or SloshU!