PoliSci 2008-2009 Cycle

CAPoliSciPhD

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Pete. All the good vibes I can go to you guys. Although this is not so marvelous for me right now, as I'm not sure I will be able to even accept the invite... Anyway, this is for another thread (the one I started in the Applications section).

Good luck to you all (I'm also still waiting on 9 schools). Judging from what I've read here, we have a strong group of candidates. I'm sure all will be well.

Hey all,

I just recently joined the forum. Thought I share some of the joys and pains as I await my results as well. Replying to the above post, I think Virginia might start sending out decisions tomorrow. From what I can put together, Virginia has been sending out decision e-mails on the Thursdays and Fridays, during the last week of January.

but it'll be Thursday! lol tues and wed are the high days!

Yes, but Thursday is only slightly lower. I think a school is going to make a splash tomorrow. There is a cool wind in the air tonight --- a wind of change. CHANGE is coming to thegradcafe! Keep your browsers attuned to UNC, FSU, UVA and OSU if you applied there.

Let me get this straight. Few schools will be contacting this week and next week. Majority will send out their decisions around mid-Feb and the remaining in early March? Is this the way it works, or at least that is what I can gather from the results search section. Just wondering when to expect the batch of letters I presume!

The poliscijob rumors blog answered that question about whether or not we can expect later decisions because of an increase in applications and almost all said no...

take that for what it's worth (which isn't much) And UC Davis and WUSTL have gotten back around their normal times.

I'm just thinking it'll possibly be mid-late Feb before I hear from anyone I applied to - Princeton, Stanford, UPenn, Columbia and Chicago. I know Chicago use postal notification as well so that may be even longer for me in the UK. TBH though, since applying my feelings are a bit lukewarm towards Chicago.

Yeah, I guess that is true. The only Dec 1st deadline schools that I applied to were UVA and USC. Anyways, I also heard that some schools offer a rolling-based admissions - meaning it really is a first come first served logic offering admission to anyone who they find qualified first. Does anyone have any idea which schools that might be.

I'm not sure where you heard that, but I'm pretty sure no political science PhD program fits that description. I could be wrong.

Hhhmmmm... You might be right. I thought that that might be true because some of the school's that send out their decisions are kind of spread out. They notify their students early then go on for the next month or so. That is, they might have rounds where the committee gets together to decide. They notify their top students, then the next round of students and so on. But, this is an assumption so nothing affirmative! Maybe the waiting process is taking a toll!

None of the departments I applied to examine on a rolling basis. They wait until all applications have been received and then make their decisions based on the whole applicant pool. Master's programs are rolling, not PhD...Not that this knowledge makes me feel any better... :shock:

Hhhmmmm... You might be right. I thought that that might be true because some of the school's that send out their decisions are kind of spread out. They notify their students early then go on for the next month or so. That is, they might have rounds where the committee gets together to decide. They notify their top students, then the next round of students and so on. But, this is an assumption so nothing affirmative! Maybe the waiting process is taking a toll!

The spread might be explained by students declining offers, and departments extending new invitations.

Departments typically admit twice or three times as many students as they expect to actually attend with the expectation of a large portion will decided to go elsewhere. This is done at even some of the most competitive programs (lots of yale and princeton admits decide to go to harvard or stanford, and vice versa). Some schools do use a waitlist, so they will indeed have some late offers of admission, but this is usually done only after they perceive that the target class size for a given year might not be met with their remaining pending offers.

An employee at UNC Chapel Hill program confirmed that they have two rounds - one in late January and another in mid February ("mostly likely," the individual said).

So that means they should be notifying people, like what, now?