PoliSci 2008-2009 Cycle

CAPoliSciPhD

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would any Chicago admits be willing to share their stats? I would be really curious to see exactly what it takes to get in there.

I have a 3.82 UGPA, 3.75 Grad GPA from a pretty solid school, a forthcoming book chapter, some conference presentations, and some research and travel grants. But that apparently is not enough to even get waitlisted.

Yes, you'll get a good look. I would pitch your SOP to Patchen, since he's on the ad. com and will be reading it.

Thanks, LeftCoast. I got a letter dated Feb 13. It arrived Saturday I live very close to UMD) but I just got it today as I was away all weekend. I was surprised as their deadline is 2/15, I think. So I wasn't expecting to hear for some time. I posted the details on the results search page.

Oh great. Now I am going to be OCD about both my e-mail & regular mail

Someone in the department told me. I have no stake in the decisions there, but you're absolutely correct, that was brutal.

Plisar, were you given any particular reason to why so few were admitted at Chicago this year (besides the generally obvious reason of poor economy)?

Yes, you'll get a good look. I would pitch your SOP to Patchen, since he's on the ad. com and will be reading it.

Sigh. I got no love from Patchen, despite my SOP being basically a love letter to him and Robert Pippin. Can't win 'em all! (unless you're plisar or coachjrc :P )

The economy is AWFUL. Unfortunately, this is vastly affecting graduate programs, especially at private institutions, but it's clearly hurting public institutions as well. Harvard Soc was considering not admitting anyone this year.

This is definitely the worst year in years for graduate school admissions. It is ROUGH.

Quick question: are stipends taxed, and if so, what percent does the government usually take?

My impression is that stipends are taxable income. The percentage you pay depends entirely on your gross taxable income after exemptions and deductions... but if you're living entirely on your stipend, I think you'd be in the 15% bracket. Of course income below $8000-ish is taxed at 10%, so you'd probably end up paying somewhere between 1500 and 2000 in taxes.

Sigh. I got no love from Patchen, despite my SOP being basically a love letter to him and Robert Pippin. Can't win 'em all! (unless you're plisar or coachjrc :P )

My stats are actually not nearly as impressive as yours aspiringtheorist. I have a UGPA of 3.77 from a top-30 liberal arts college(one of my majors was English, a rather risky choice for someone whose native language is not English!)

GRE is 710V 740Q 5.5W. No publications and no conference experience. I sent in a chapter of my thesis, which my advisers felt very strongly about. I am fluent in two languages other than English and am learning a third. The only reason I can think of for getting in is my SOP, which I wrote specifically for Chicago (all 2433 words of it--they said up to 2500 is OK).

Really why? u still have some great schools to consider... and as for UPENN it ain't over till i have the rejection letter in my hand..lol :wink:

UPenn is done notifying, Stanford is done notifying, Chicago is done notifying... Columbia and Princeton aren't exactly safeties and having had zero success at the others (not even waitlisting) I'm guessing my apps just weren't strong enough and so I think I'm basically waiting for another couple of rejections at this point :(

stipends are definitely taxable. in some cases, so are tuition remissions, although i think that depends on how your school categorizes it (i.e. as a scholarship vs. part of your compensation for service). as for how much the gov't takes out, that would depend on other factors.

stipends are definitely taxable. in some cases, so are tuition remissions, although i think that depends on how your school categorizes it (i.e. as a scholarship vs. part of your compensation for service). as for how much the gov't takes out, that would depend on other factors.

Eeek, who is making tuition remissions taxable? I thought that was always considered non-taxable.

Looks a Michigan admit is up on the result page. I didn't apply there so I don't care, but I'm sure many of you do, so thought I'd sound the alarm. You heard it here first.

This is the first of my schools to start notifying. If I didn't hear today, do you think its over, or could some notifications be coming tomorrow?