PoliSci 2008-2009 Cycle

CAPoliSciPhD

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting. I got 790q/690v/5.5 but no GPA as Oxford doesnt issue GPAs, nor any other grades prior to final exams. How much of a disadvantage do you guys reckon this is??

As a Cambridge man, i would say that it is a serious one! :wink:

No, seriously, I would just extrapolate from your previous year's exams.

Hey

So if you went to oxford/cambridge you will ahve a degree class e.g. 1st etc. probably equates to 3.8-4 at a top US school. So what is your class? What is the average grade youve been getting in end of yr exams?

If not I guess they will go on your exams over the last 3 or 4 yrs. Plus LORs and SOPs. Good luck, I'm sure US profs at the better schools will work it out

Just spoke with someone at U of M, all acceptances haven't all been sent out, just to some special cases. So, no e-mail/admittance at this stage doesn't mean a rejection. The full committee met yesterday, but I'm not sure if all of the sub-fields have made final decisions, if not it should be soon. I was also told that they're taking WAY fewer people, aiming to take on 1 or 2 new grad students in each sub-field (so accepting 5-6, maybe less for smaller fields like theory). But since all of the 5 people accepted in a sub-field will probably be getting offers from the other top schools, the waitlist might actually get used.

My stats are actually not nearly as impressive as yours aspiringtheorist. I have a UGPA of 3.77 from a top-30 liberal arts college(one of my majors was English, a rather risky choice for someone whose native language is not English!)

GRE is 710V 740Q 5.5W. No publications and no conference experience. I sent in a chapter of my thesis, which my advisers felt very strongly about. I am fluent in two languages other than English and am learning a third. The only reason I can think of for getting in is my SOP, which I wrote specifically for Chicago (all 2433 words of it--they said up to 2500 is OK).

Thanks for sharing, procrastinatrice, much appreciated. Congrats on getting in!

sure:

790Q/800V/6 on the GREs, 3.76 undergrad GPA (not in poli sci), and i've also got a law degree, for whatever that's worth (consensus seems to be either "some" or "not much")

my recs are from 2 law profs and 1 poli sci prof.

dang 800V. so you're that *dot* in that score distribution curve on those GRE graphs. gonna get noticed friend, gonna get noticed.

theory? american?

Does anyone have any info on Georgetown, GW and WashU? Just curious because the three schools have been awfully quiet thus far. Any info on when the adcomms are meeting or when the notifcations are due would be helpful. Thanks!

I just got a phone call from a professor at University of Michigan, telling me I got accepted.

He told me that they're admitting 25 students this year and are expecting 15.

It seemed like it was a very informal phone call, but students weekend is March 13-15.

yaaay!

I just got a phone call from a professor at University of Michigan, telling me I got accepted.

He told me that they're admitting 25 students this year and are expecting 15.

It seemed like it was a very informal phone call, but students weekend is March 13-15.

yaaay!

Congrats!