Best Guess on New Gre Percentiles

Daisy Fields

Ok so I ask one last time to see anyone can help:

This is my last week and I am taking the test on monday. Ive already taken 1PP, 3 Manhatan, 4 Princeton and the free Kaplant test. I really need one more good practice test before monday but I cant find a good one (free or bought). I wanted to buy a kaplan test but I dont see where I can do that on the website.

I really appreciate some suggestions,,,, Thanks.

Why don't you do another Manhattan test?

Hey, my understanding is that if you took the revised test, your score report will ONLY show scores on the new scale (and the percentiles). It will not show scores based on the old scale.

If, however, you took the old GRE, and you're submitting scores after November, your report will show the old scores and the estimated scores on the new scale.

Look at page 4 of the following:

http://www.ets.org/M..._supplement.pdf

• A new score concordance table that will create an easy bridge from current test scores

(200 – 800 score scale) to revised test scores (130 – 170 score scale). It’s designed to help you compare current scores with new ones, includes percentiles and features printed charts and online tools to allow you the flexibility of using the style that fits you best.

A revised score report that’s been enhanced to offer even more information about a candidate. The revised score report will feature scores, percentiles and concordance information when appropriate, directly on the score report, so you will have all the information you need at your fingertips to compare applicants — easily and effectively.

This new table will become available in November 2011 after the statistical analyses required for the conversion to the new 130 – 170 score scale are completed.

Why don't you do another Manhattan test?

I bought 6 of them, I did 3 and my brother the other 3, they dont let you repeat the tests. And they only sell those 6. Same with Princeton I already did all of them. I wanted to do one kaplan but besides the free one I dont think I can buy another.

If anyone have any other suggestion ill really appreciate it

Hi all,

I found this forum as I've been scouring the internet for help deciphering my revised GRE ranges. Thanks for sharing all of this analysis. I'll add to the practice test scores so we all have a little more information that might help us relax until November.

Revised GRE:

Quant: 750-800

Verbal: 730-800

Powerprep II:

Quant 750-800 (6 wrong, 2 on first section)

Verbal: 750-800 (4 wrong, 1 on first section)

Princeton Review Online Tests:

Test 3

Quant: 162 (8 wrong)

Verbal: 166 (4 wrong)

Test 6

Quant: 161 (9 wrong)

Verbal: 157 (11 wrong)

Test 7

Quant: 163 (5 wrong)

Verbal: 157 (11 wrong)

Test 8

Quant: 160 (8 wrong)

Verbal: 159 (8 wrong)

I also did the practice test in the ETS book and scored:

Quant: 750-800

Verbal: 680-780

Old GRE (three years ago -- only studied for quant):

Quant: 760

Verbal: 540

AWA: 4.5

In the Barron's and Princeton Review books, I would consistently get 2-6 questions wrong on both sections, but the scoring metrics were not ideal -- I usually translated them with ETS' scoring scale for an estimate.

Also, I found a lot of errors on the PR online tests and in the book. Specifically on the PR online tests, the functionality of the program was subpar. The "highlight a sentence" questions never worked, occasionally images wouldn't load, and some answers to questions were flat out wrong. So, I would take the PR score estimates as a lower bound to what you are capable of. Despite the errors, the PR tests are great practice for simulating the real testing environment and time constraints.

I'll add some more details on my testing experience to inform those who have yet to take the new GRE.

I scored 730-800 on the verbal. I found the verbal to be significantly more difficult than Powerprep. My first verbal section was tough, with difficult vocab (which I had been acing on practice exams), and the second verbal section was equally as difficult, if not harder. This leads me to believe that the section was weighted a little bit since I was uncertain on 4-5 questions and probably got some of those (and likely more) wrong.

I scored 750-800 on the quantitative section (3 parts). It was pretty straight-forward. It was about the same difficulty as Powerprep, with no big surprises. My data interpretation questions were very easy, and there wasn't anything that I would deem a "hard to very hard" question. That said, I usually make 2-3 careless mistakes, but barring that, I felt well prepared from studying the ETS, Barrons, and PR books.

Does anybody have a guess as to the ranges? My Q 730-800 seems to indicate that I missed eleven!!! questions, which is quite a lot! I got that number from the ETS release linked earlier. I mean, 11 questions doesn't even seem like it should be a 730, let alone 800. I also didn't feel like I missed 11; I did have to guess at some because I ran out of time, but not 11! Is there something that I'm missing? I would love if someone could help shed light on it. I had 3 verbal, 2 math.

I've already re-registered for the November test.

Edited by habanero

Ok I am finally taking the test on Monday, this are the results of all my different practice test in progression:

Power Prepp:

• 550 - 600 verbal -
  • 730 - 800 quantitive -

Princeton:
    • Diagnosis test August 16:
    • 152 verbal
    • 152 quantitive -
      • Diagnosis test August 23:
        • 153 verbal -
        • 159 quantitive -
          • 152 verbal -
          • 161 quantitive -
            • 158 verbal -
            • 165 quantitive -

Kaplan
              • Diagnosis test September :
                • 680 - 680 verbal -
                • 750 - 800 quantitive -

Manhattan

• Diagnosis test September 2: (free)

[*]620 verbal - 89%

[*]720 quantitive - 75%

[*]Diagnosis test September 5: (2)

[*]630 verbal - 90%

[*]710 quantitive - 73%

[*]Diagnosis test September 19: (3)

[*]570 verbal - 79%

[*]730 quantitive - 77%

[*]Diagnosis test September 22: (6)

[*]560 verbal - 77%

[*]770 quantitive - 91%

Any guesses on my scores for MONDAY? I will take bets....

I finally took the test, I got the scores I expected in math according to the practices test I showed you. But I scored significantlly better in Verbal, which made think that verbal scores are a little bit more random and can not be as acuaratly predicted with practices test. Actually i got scores all over th eplace in verbal practices.

So my final scores where:

630-730 Verb

740-800 Math

Thanks all for the help and advice

Congrats George2248! Those are great scores.

Thanks man I hope they are enough, I am planning to apply to some top Civil Engineering Schools and since I have no background education in the US I am afraid that the GPA from and LOR from my University in Venezuela are not going to be taken very serious. Im very happy that I did good in Verbal though because that showed my English is getting better.

I wish ETS would give a more concrete estimate of scores at this point. I'm sure they have more than enough datapoints to give another revised estimate that is much narrower. Waiting another month and a half is gonna suck.

It is definitely stressing, specially when you are relying on a score in the top range

I'm guessing the math scores will be at the lower end of the ranges we got, and the verbal scores will be at the higher ends. I think that's just because, overall, more people tend to do better on the math than on the verbal. But who knows...

My reasoning was exactly the opposite

Does anybody have a guess as to the ranges? My Q 730-800 seems to indicate that I missed eleven!!! questions, which is quite a lot! I got that number from the ETS release linked earlier. I mean, 11 questions doesn't even seem like it should be a 730, let alone 800. I also didn't feel like I missed 11; I did have to guess at some because I ran out of time, but not 11! Is there something that I'm missing? I would love if someone could help shed light on it. I had 3 verbal, 2 math.

I've already re-registered for the November test.

First I am wondering how you seem to be sure that you missed that many questions? Is it based off of your power prep test? Second, it might also depend on the difficulty level of the questions that you had. Also is there a specific score you are looking for that you feel a need to retake the test? I see that you are a Comp Sci person, I know that many people are looking at getting a higher score on the Q section, so is it that you are trying to get that range a bit higher?

I stupidly looked at the paper test raw scores for that range and forgot that the computer exam had fewer questions! I actually think I missed 7-8 or so. The last Q section I got was really difficult, so I may have done well on the first. Oh, lord. I do NOT want to wait another month + for this. I'm being driven absolutely crazy.

So I took the test earlier this week:

Barron's (No scaled scores)

Test 1

Quant: (30/40, 0 omitted)

Verbal: (31/40, 0 omitted)

Test 2

Quant (28/40, 1 omitted)

Verbal (37/40, 0 omitted)

Manhattan: (1440)

Quant: 740 (28/40, 9 omitted) 80th percentile

Verbal: 700 (30/40, 0 omitted) 97th percentile

Kaplan: (1410-1560)

Quant: 750-800 (32/40, 4 omitted) 82nd-94th percentile

Verbal: 660-760 (32/40, 0 omitted) 94th-99th percentile

Princeton Review: (313)

Quant: 158 (30/40, 3 omitted)........should be 31/40 (wrong equation listed in Quantitative Comparison question)

Verbal: 155 (27/40, 0 omitted)........should be 30/40 (a bug in the test), not sure what score out of 170 that corresponds to

PowerPrep (Paper): (1410-1560)

Quant: 750-800 (38/50, 4 omitted) 82nd-94th percentile

Verbal: 660-760 (39/50, 0 omitted) 94th-99th percentile

PowerPrep II: (1420-1570)

Quant: 750-800 (32/40, 1 omitted) 82nd-94th percentile

Verbal: 670-770 (31/40, 0 omitted) 95th-99th percentile

Official Revised GRE: (1430-1580)

Quant: 750-800 (0 omitted) 82nd-99th percentile

Verbal: 680-780 (0 omitted) 96th-99th percentile

Overall, my scores have been pretty consistent. It appears that an accuracy of only 75-80% is sufficient for the highest score range in Quant, while a similar accuracy for Verbal corresponds to the top 5% of test takers. No idea how the spread at the top will look in the new scale. If Daisy's estimates are correct, those of us in the 750-800 range will score somewhere between a 155 and 170. That seems like a huge difference psychologically. I wouldn't be surprised if Karajan's hypothesis--that math scores may be on the lower end of the range and verbal on the higher end--is correct for many of us. ETS has specifically said that the new scale should allow for more meaningful comparison among top-scorers, in Quant especially. Therefore, I am afraid that a good score in the old scale (750-800) may not necessarily translate into a good score in the new scale. Best of luck!