Boren 2012-2013

DanielJones

I just got that sought for financial update request. March 23, 2012, 10:16AM CST, applying for Taiwan, Mandarin Chinese, living in Minnesota. I'm so excited! I wonder how many people get recommended to receive the ~150 scholarships.

Here's what the request looks like:

Thank you for submitting your National Security Education Program David L. Boren Scholarship application. Currently, your application is being considered, and final award decisions will be announced in early May, 2012. If your study abroad program has an earlier deposit deadline, you may want to let them know that you are awaiting a decision from the Boren Scholarship.

If you are awarded a Boren Scholarship, you will be required to attend the Orientation and Convocation Ceremony in Washington, DC on June 6th and 7th. We would also like you to be aware that, if you are awarded, certain materials will need to be submitted before your first award disbursement would be issued. Should you win the award, you would need to purchase your roundtrip airline tickets before receiving your first disbursement. Please plan accordingly.

For study of French or Spanish, awards will be contingent upon testing at the appropriate language level. If you are an applicant for one of these languages and are conditionally offered the award, you will need to take a test through a service called LTI as early as possible after receiving the award packet. The level at which you test on the LTI exam will determine whether or not you remain eligible for the Boren Scholarships.

As your application is being considered, we request that you provide IIE with additional information about your study abroad program costs and financial aid status. The Boren Scholarship online system (https://nsep.iieweb....p/nseplogin.asp) allows you to submit the requested information electronically. Applicants should use their original user name and password to log onto the system. Please be sure to hit the “UPDATE” button in order to save the requested information online.

** PLEASE PROVIDE IIE WITH THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION USING THE ONLINE SYSTEM BY MONDAY, APRIL 2ND! **

A. Cost of attendance at home institution – Please state your total cost to attend your current U.S. institution for one academic year. Include tuition, room and board, books, etc. as appropriate. Do not subtract financial aid or scholarships/grants.

B. Updated Financial Aid Information – If you receive financial aid, identify the total amount of financial aid that you receive for an academic year. Include scholarships, grants, AND loans.

C. Study Abroad Dates and Cost –The table lists your study abroad dates and costs as stated in your application. You must contact your study abroad program to determine if anything has changed. If so, enter the new dates or amounts in the space provided. The program costs MUST be broken down into the following categories:

· Cost of tuition and fees – if your home institution requires you to pay its tuition rather than the study abroad program costs, please include your home institution tuition costs in this field

· Cost of room and board – this is housing and food

· Cost of round-trip international airfare – please remember that you must travel on a U.S. Airline as far as possible

· Cost of books, insurance and local transportation

Please be as accurate as possible in estimating these costs, keeping in mind that Boren does not select recipients based on their budgets. If there is no change to the information listed, you will need to reenter the same dates/figures on the second column.

D. Study Abroad Financial Aid - If you receive financial aid, identify the amount of financial aid that can be applied to your proposed study abroad. Do not include loans.

Do not hesitate to call our office at 1-800-618-6737 or email boren@iie.org if you have any questions. We look forward to receiving your updated information by Monday, April 2nd.

Sincerely,

Susan Sharp

Assistant Director, Boren Scholarships and Fellowships

Institute of International Education

1400 K St., NW Suite 650

Washington, DC 20005

Edited by kbui

For consideration on what's just been said, I'm a Scholarship applicant for Tajikistan and haven't received a budget email (California).

Maybe they haven't sent information to applicants of the Middle East yet, or that they haven't sent it to students in certain regions in the U.S. yet.

I would wait a little longer, then email them if I haven't received anything sometimes next week (since I'm sure they'll be very busy today).

Scholarship applicant for Mandarin, Mainland China. (located in California). Didn't get anything and it doesn't seem to be looking good. Shouldn't Arizona and California be grouped together into the same Southwest region? A few posts earlier an Arizona applicant got an email.

Also if it were grouped by worldwide region, Middle East Scholarship applicant has gotten an email, as well Asia ones-South Korea, Taiwan. =/

I am a Boren applicant to Russia and also haven't heard.. I can't necessarily see a trend in US geographic regions, but there does appear to be a clear pattern in where one applied and who is finding out... Eurasia and Eastern Europe still hasn't shown up yet, so I'm still holding out hope!

Edited by wannabeanexpat

I'm also a scholarship applicant for Mandarin, mainland China, and I haven't received a budget update email =/ I'm from Florida. Did anyone in the east coast/southeast region receive an email for an update? Hopefully some US regions haven't been sent emails yet but I'm not counting on it :(

I am a Boren applicant to Russia and also haven't heard.. I can't necessarily see a trend in US geographic regions, but there does appear to be a clear pattern in where one applied and who is finding out... Eurasia and Eastern Europe still hasn't shown up yet, so I'm still holding out hope!

Any Fellow applicants for a country of the East Europe/Eurasia region? If you're lurking, please speak up and let us know either way whether you've received a budget email :)

So i have a few bits of information. First, i got an email that said i didn't complete the application process. This is a mistake and there's people all over the country freaking out. The woman also told me all who were going to get an email have got it. I haven't. I've only seen one scholarship app that has received the letter...but i might have missed some...so how many scholarship emails are there out there?

Hi all - this my fp on the forum.

I was a Boren Fellowship Applicant for Japan, and I haven't gotten anything back.

I'm bummed b/c one of my profs who recommended said all his students who he's written letters for have gotten it.

Not a great first....

Still have some hope since the week isn't over yet.

Also, from last year, did all the e-mails come over 2-3 days?

I'm wondering if I should hold out hope for next week.

I'm a Japan scholarship applicant and haven't received anything as well, and just hope what Monica Bowcut McDonald said is true and not all the scholarship applicants haven't been notified yet !

You mean not true? Because she said that they are all out. Also... she said if you did not get an email you are unlikely to get a scholarship.

You mean not true? Because she said that they are all out. Also... she said if you did not get an email you are unlikely to get a scholarship.

I wonder if this fact (that all emails have gone out) applies to fellowships too. Anyone care to call and ask for the Fellowship applicants?

hey all, just joined so i could leave this comment:

I received my budget email on wednesday around noon (i'm in louisville, ky on EST)

1. Fellowship

2. Korea / Korean

3. Pretty detailed budget.

Already saw there are a few other Korea folks on here, annyeonghaseyo! :D

Will check back here more often since this seems to be the place to go for breaking Boren news.

Hey all. I'm a scholarship applicant to study in mainland China. I received the budget update email this morning at 11:15 am and I attend school in the southeast.

Edited by peridot

Someone mentioned budget update request emails for Eastern Europe / Eurasia. I received one on Wednesday. I don't want to be more specific than that, since I'm sure the fellowship staff do monitor this site.

Well that's depressing. I'm also an applicant for Russia and I have not received an email. I thought it was strange applicants for Eurasia weren't getting emails until I read this. I guess I'll be trying again next year.

Edited by JMurphy

I just received an update for financial information at 8:17 a.m this morning.

Boren Scholarship

Amman, Jordan: CIEE program

Arizona State University

I recieved an email today at 8:17am. I am a Scholarship applicant from California and have applied for South Korea.

Hey all. I'm a scholarship applicant to study in mainland China. I received the budget update email this morning at 11:15 am and I attend school in the southeast.

So from these replies, it seems that only China, South Korea, Taiwan, and Jordan have received the letters. There hasn't been any replies on South America, Africa (though this may be due to the ALI), Europe and Eurasia.

Edited by kbui

That's disappointing :( Judging from the feedback I received from my campus rep I thought I had a pretty good chance of getting a scholarship but I guess not *sigh* Congratulations to everyone who did get the email though! I hope you all end up getting it :)

I find it hard to believe that ALL letters have been sent and that not a single soul applying for Russia/E. Europe was asked for a budget update.

Not to be a downer but I'm pretty sure the gradcafe is not a representative sample of all applicants. It's possible you are the only one here applying/lurking from Russia/E Europe

That's disappointing :( Judging from the feedback I received from my campus rep I thought I had a pretty good chance of getting a scholarship but I guess not *sigh* Congratulations to everyone who did get the email though! I hope you all end up getting it :)

Sorry about that Anna. If you're not a senior, you can always apply for another scholarship. A second application will be much stronger because now you know a whole community of people who's willing to help you, and when you get it it'll be even more satisfying. Thank you for your positive wishes.

Sorry about that Anna. If you're not a senior, you can always apply for another scholarship. A second application will be much stronger because now you know a whole community of people who's willing to help you, and when you get it it'll be even more satisfying. Thank you for your positive wishes.

You're welcome and thank you for your kind words. I knew it was a bit of a long shot anyway since I was applying for a semester and not an academic-year program, but hopefully my other funding options come through.

I would again remind everyone that the Middlebury summer language schools are still open and offer financial aid and are "language pledge" programs that offer incredibly intensive instruction. If you are truly interested in improving your "package," be creative, don't give up and remember that the only thing that matters if you didn't get the Boren is your ability to persevere and move forward. We are all tested by obstacles and disappointments and what separates those that are successful from those that aren't is the ability to rebound from adversity. We are all a work in progress...

Edited by riverguide

Not to be a downer but I'm pretty sure the gradcafe is not a representative sample of all applicants. It's possible you are the only one here applying/lurking from Russia/E Europe

That's true... but we have a fairly sizable community on this forum, and Eurasia is a very large region. As it turns out, someone applying for Eurasia did come forward saying that they got the letter. So I guess all letters are out.

Best of luck to those who got it! I'll try again another year.