Boren 2012-2013

DanielJones

Stoked chicken--

They decided long ago! I would presume the past month has been about dotting i's and crossing t's and determining specifically how much each budget is, I have always wondered with these scholarships though what determines actual date of notification -- is it just one las approval from up above? Or is it re-checking all details one last time...

I'm a new poster but a applicant for the fellowship 12' fellowship, Indonesia, I just received an email saying I wasn't accepted. Curious to see other results.

Water 28 -- are you a fellowship applicant or scholarship applicant? My guess would be that the likelihood of fellowship alternates getting the Boren is probably much higher (previous posters have definitely talked about getting the award after being an alternate) than for scholarship alternates. This is just because a lot of PhD applicants (myself included) apply to a ton of grants and the Boren as amazing as it is, is not always a top choice for PhD students who ultimately want to work in academia, because once you leave academia it is very hard to enter again. So, long and short, I definitely know of Fellowship applicants who turn down the award...not that I am planning to!!

Hi everyone! Happy results day! Please fill out the form (or RE-fill out the form) now that results are out. I didn't get a fellowship, but lets keep the form up for the benefit of next year's applicants. Again, please fill out the form completely even if you already did so. Here is the link. https://docs.google....EV2kwQk5OS2c6MA

Then, look at the results here: https://docs.google....kwQk5OS2c#gid=0

Good luck to everyone and congrats to the recipients!

Why aren't they sending out scholarships yet?

I imagine it would take a while, with over 1000 applicants for fellowships and scholarships. It looks like fellowship alternates, YESes, and rejections have gone out judging by the facebook page and the spreadsheet.

Hold tight. I'm right there with ya.

Congrats to all those who have heard back! Well done!. For those of us who are still waiting, good luck and I am praying for you all!

According to the Boren's FB page: "The Fellowship announcements have been emailed out. We hope to send the emails regarding the Scholarship announcements by the end of the business day tomorrow (May 2)."

So no scholarship results yet, but good luck to the fellowship applicants here!

fadedsunrise --

I presume (and this seems backed up by spreadsheet results) that only Fellowship notifications have gone out. I believe that Fellowship recipients heard a few days before Scholarship recipients last year as well....

(Clearly I didn't read what others wrote above...nice work on the evidence Naeseom, mine was just a hunch)

Edited by ebuckner

Boren just posted on their facebook page: "The Fellowship announcements have been emailed out. We hope to send the emails regarding the Scholarship announcements by the end of the business day tomorrow (May 2)."

I feel like I'm going to be sick. One more day?!?!?!?

EDIT: Ha, looks like we were all posting at the same time.

Edited by peridot

The good news is that it's only 24 hours and we know roughly when to expect the results (instead of spazzing everytime we look at our inboxes for the next week).

Though I think I have lost all hope to concentrate on anything else until the email comes tomorrow!

Water 28 -- are you a fellowship applicant or scholarship applicant? My guess would be that the likelihood of fellowship alternates getting the Boren is probably much higher (previous posters have definitely talked about getting the award after being an alternate) than for scholarship alternates. This is just because a lot of PhD applicants (myself included) apply to a ton of grants and the Boren as amazing as it is, is not always a top choice for PhD students who ultimately want to work in academia, because once you leave academia it is very hard to enter again. So, long and short, I definitely know of Fellowship applicants who turn down the award...not that I am planning to!!

I was a fellowship applicant and am a master's student. I guess I'm hoping I am near the top of the alternate pile and that a bunch of people decline their awards because they were offered another amazing opportunity. Boren is really the best option for my interests...but I guess I'll have to look into other sources of funding at this point. Sigh.

I just found out that I got the Boren Scholarship for Tajikistan. Crossing my fingers for the rest of you!

Edited by mfrost

Notified of Boren Fellowship by email just before noon. It says to confirm by May 7th so alternates probably won't have to wait too long for bumps to start. Good luck to you all.

hoosierKnight85, does this mean that you go the Fellowship, and they told you to accept or not by May 7th? Sory, I may have missed something in the uptake.

Thanks