Boren 2012-2013

DanielJones

Hi everyone,

Please pay attention to your e-mail. I believe that the scholarship notifications have been sent out or are in the process of being sent out. I found out that I did not receive it a couple minutes ago.

Congrats to those of you who won! Everyon else, sit tight; you should know by the end of today!

hoosierKnight85, does this mean that you go the Fellowship, and they told you to accept or not by May 7th? Sory, I may have missed something in the uptake.

Thanks

Warrint - that's correct. Got the fellowship, and the e-mail wants us to accept or decline by May 7th. So I was suggesting that, given their desire to get responses within a week, alternates near the top of the list who are likely to get bumped probably won't have to wait too long. Purely my speculation. And good luck again.

After several months of writing applications, interviewing, and researching, I have finally achieved my goal. Boren recipient for Taiwan 2012-2013. Thank you for everyone's support, and I hope to hear more good news from the forum! :D

Congrats to everyone who got awarded!!!

I got alternate :( To those of you in my boat who aren't celebrating at the moment, any idea how the process works? Is it if someone from your country/language declines or anyone declines, and if that's the case surely they have us alternates all sorted out into some priority order that only they would know?

In the email I got it says if you do not hear back from them 2 months prior to your program start date you can assume you aren't going. My start date was June (AFLI)!

I would imagine the chances of being awarded as an alternate are quite slim (for the scholarship). Such a bummer!

I asked and it seems that it depends on whether someone from your country/language declines, which sucks for those of us who applied to non traditional countries...

I am in your boat, I applied for non-trad country and language. Let's just think good thoughts.

@snowblossom2 Thanks for this info. That sucks! I kind of assumed it went the other way. Well, I applied for Tanzania/Swahili which as in the top 5 for both country and language awards last year, but I just can't imagine anyone who applied to go there turning it down! Now I wish I hadn't waited till the night before to write the whole application! Dang! Time to make other plans :( Good luck with your situation! Please post and let us know how it turns out.

Edited by stokedchicken

Congratulations to all the other Fellows and Scholars. See y'all in DC!

To those in the alternate waiting seat- hang in there. Last year's thread shows that some people got off the alternate list and got to go!

Have any Fellowship alternates gotten any updates yet?

Nope...I did send an email to request feedback, as I would like to know at some point what I can improve for next year. They responded that they are very busy now (understandably) and that I can contact them in July to discuss my application if I do not get called up before then.

Nope...I did send an email to request feedback, as I would like to know at some point what I can improve for next year. They responded that they are very busy now (understandably) and that I can contact them in July to discuss my application if I do not get called up before then.

By July I'll be doing my second month of language training, either with Boren $ or my own, ugh. Luck to you

It might take a little longer for alternates to hear back because the award packets for recipients were sent out late (still haven't arrived yet).