Boren 2012-2013

DanielJones

Hey everybody,

I applied to the AFLI and just received an acceptance letter for the domestic summer program at U of F. I'm hoping this letter is a sign of more good fortune to come. Has anyone else received a similar email?

Hey everybody,

I applied to the AFLI and just received an acceptance letter for the domestic summer program at U of F. I'm hoping this letter is a sign of more good fortune to come. Has anyone else received a similar email?

I also got that email and the budget email. Not sure what it means, but hope it's a good sign. Did you get the budget email?

Congrats! I know next to nothing about AFLI (just googled it) - are the two dependent on each other or mutually exclusive? (for example, I was a Rhodes nominee to University of Oxford, their Migration Center. I got accepted into the program but didn't get the Rhodes so therefore didn't go bc of lack of funding)

Would it be possible to repost the survey on this page so applicants can continue to input their status?

Sure!

Hey all, here is the 2012-2013 Boren Fellowship/Scholarship spreadsheet. I made a form for you to fill out, which I believe can be accessed even if you're not a gradcafe user. Please fill out the form completely. When results-date nears, you will be asked to fill it out again with your results update, so come up with a "username" that is both anonymous and memorable.

I am selfishly interested in seeing whether any Fellowship applicants for Persian or for Tajikistan received the budget update email...

Here is the link to the form:

https://docs.google....k5OS2c6MA#gid=0

And here is the link to view the sheet AFTER you have filled out the form:

https://docs.google....kwQk5OS2c#gid=0

Yes, the waiting to hear back from Boren (and, in my case, Gilman and transfer schools) is pretty painful. Hopefully we will find out the first week of May.

Also, I can't believe we have so many users on this forum that applied for Korea. Since North Korea seems to be constantly in the headlines, maybe Boren will be quite generous with the amount of awards given for ROK.

Edited by faxekondi

Yes, the waiting to hear back from Boren (and, in my case, Gilman and transfer schools) is pretty painful. Hopefully we will find out the first week of May.

Also, I can't believe we have so many users on this forum that applied for Korea. Since North Korea seems to be constantly in the headlines, maybe Boren will be quite generous with the amount of awards given for ROK.

I thought about that too. Last year there were 5 South Korea Boren scholars. It will be interesting to see the number for this year.

As for the waiting.... I've been busy with finishing up this last week of classes and now finals will take over my time, but it's still in the back of my mind always. :wacko: I swear, if one more relative or friend asks me, I'm going to freak out. I don't know how many times I've said "I won't know until early May" but apparently not enough to stop people from asking me about it. I imagine once May begins I'll start obsessively checking my email. This is agonizing.

@peridot- omg, I feel the same wat about people asking. It's not like I told all my friends or anything...but the ones who are asking are the people who have written me letters of rec. and parents and close family. Wish they didn't know now so that I don't have to tell them I didn't get it if I get rejected.

Well I just heard back that I got accepted into the Eurasian Regional Language Program....and I got some $ and got my plane ticket covered...that means there's almost exactly $20k left to be funded...the max amount of fellowship funding...crossing my fingers.

Edited by fso2k11

do you think there's any chance that we find out the last week of April (this week) rather than next week?

One of the Boren representatives who came to my campus said I could email him towards the end of April if I wanted to know if I got the scholarship earlier. I'm too freaked out to do that, even though a part of me desperately wants to, lol. I think I just want to be notified along with the rest of the group, so we can all achieve victory together, or cry together. I'm hoping for the former... *fingers crossed*

do you think there's any chance that we find out the last week of April (this week) rather than next week?

That would be awesome... but the budget update email said that "final award decisions will be announced in early May, 2012" so I'm holding out for then! I wish I could know now. :/

kbui, we posted at the same time- I would be tempted to do it, but also really scared! Was this somebody from the national panel? You're not talking about your school representatives, are you? Sometimes I wonder if the school reps know anything before we do.

Edited by peridot

I really hope so. Last week I finally got my acceptance letter for my program (American Councils' RLASP in Moscow) and they're only giving me till the 30th to accept and pay fees. I may have to email Boren early because I can't afford it without them.

That would be awesome... but the budget update email said that "final award decisions will be announced in early May, 2012" so I'm holding out for then! I wish I could know now. :/

kbui, we posted at the same time- I would be tempted to do it, but also really scared! Was this somebody from the national panel? You're not talking about your school representatives, are you? Sometimes I wonder if the school reps know anything before we do.

This was a man from the national level, I believe. I really hope we all get the scholarship/fellowship, it will be an incredible experience that some of us can't afford without funding.

Hi everyone, I am a Boren recipient from last year and am currently on an American Councils program. I am coming out of forum "retirement" to say American Councils worked with me last year to extend the deposit deadline until I heard from Boren. I would encourage anyone with a deposite deadline for an AC program before the Boren results come out to just write them to request an extension. On the other hand, I would not write to any Boren staff member until the results come out. I imagine they are quite busy right now. Just my two cents. Good Luck!

Hi everyone,

I found you guys while searching for some...ANY... info on the status of this year's Boren apps, and am so glad to learn there is an entire thread of people dealing with the same angst!

I added my stats to the spreadsheet - what a great idea! Read the entire thread from last year and found it very interesting.

I guess we will hear within the next week. Gah! It is going to be a long one!

Does anyone know if we get email notices as well as mail (website just says mail, but last year people got emails I think?) ? Because I'm studying abroad this sem, and the person that usually checks my mail is traveling over the next 2 weeks! o_O

Good luck to everyone!!!

Hi everyone,

I found you guys while searching for some...ANY... info on the status of this year's Boren apps, and am so glad to learn there is an entire thread of people dealing with the same angst!

I added my stats to the spreadsheet - what a great idea! Read the entire thread from last year and found it very interesting.

I guess we will hear within the next week. Gah! It is going to be a long one!

Does anyone know if we get email notices as well as mail (website just says mail, but last year people got emails I think?) ? Because I'm studying abroad this sem, and the person that usually checks my mail is traveling over the next 2 weeks! o_O

Good luck to everyone!!!

You will be notified of your award status via email. If you receive the award, you will be sent an award packet with further details/instructions/forms.