grad school at 42?

playfulrocky

I'll be 37 when I start my PhD this fall, and while part of me does wish I'd gotten an earlier start, I also believe that everything happens in its own time and for its own reasons. If I had started school sooner, I may not have had a lot of the experiences I've had in the meantime--travel, marriage, kids. I may have put those things off or skipped them entirely. I'm in a good place and I know I'm ready for this.

On a side note, my husband is 43, and while he's not in the process of going back to school, I certainly don't think his age would be an obstacle if he decided that he wanted to go back. He works just as hard at his job, and at the home-work balance, as any grad student would. I'm sure he could be successful as a grad student at his age if that was what he wanted to do.

Go for it :)

40 on the nose and just applied and got accepted to an MSBA-CIS program. Never had the opportunity to attend college in a "traditional" setting so I am extremely excited.

• 2 months later...

Whatever you do, don't constantly go around to the other grad students and act like you know so much more than they do because you are more mature, experienced than they are.

The "I know better than you because I am older" mentality will make them hate you. Even if it is true, you should try not to be a jerk about it.

Sorry, OldGrad . . . you're not old! I've got you very definitely beaten on that score. I don't feel old in grad school. If anything, I feel younger. It's great being back doing such challenging and stimulating work to do. Congratulations -- you'll love it!

Whatever you do, don't constantly go around to the other grad students and act like you know so much more than they do because you are more mature, experienced than they are.

The "I know better than you because I am older" mentality will make them hate you. Even if it is true, you should try not to be a jerk about it.

I agree. Just interact with your cohort as if they were the same age as you; treat them with respect. Most people don't figure out my age until they see me with my (old) kids or see the pictures of my kids in my office.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm submitting an application today, at age 43, for a field that would entail a substantial career shift. I figure such a transition will be a lot easier now than in another decade.

In the wise words of my mother "It's not like you are getting any younger. If you wait, you will just be that much older when you start." I'm not that old myself (25), but my father (55) finished his second masters degree about 2 years ago now. It's good advice and I think graduate school is a completely different world from undergrad. Not that it is ever too late to get a bachelor's degree, but the age difference isn't going to be as big of a deal once in a graduate program.

I am 31 (born in 1981) now. From Vietnam, came to the US 6-7 years ago (after completion of BA degree in Business), and started from the beginning: going to the ESL classes and working as a waiter. Then I joined the US Army. I enjoy the experience of being a soldier, and get the support for my education (GI Bill, Bonus, and Tuition Assistance). I got the AA degree from St. Louis community college (FP) last Summer, and am on the way to finish BS degree in Computer Science at UMSL sometimes within Fall 2013 to Spring 2014, then go straight to a grad program.

Hopefully I can achieve a PhD before the age of (31 + 1 + 6 = 38) ^^

There is a saying, "it's never late to start something new." And workout 15-30 minutes everyday if possible (running, swimming, or stretching, etc.) will help a person a lots in the long way ahead :)

• 3 weeks later...

@ Loc Nguyen. I am of Vietnamese descent too. I will start my PhD late though. I will be almost 38 coming in this Fall 2012. I wish I could of started earlier or years ago. But it nice to know that there a lot of people in their 30s going back to grad school.

• 9 months later...

I thought I'd try restarting this thread...

I'm wondering if anyone has a similar situation to mine.  My husband and I are in our early 40s, house, no kids.  We both have master's degrees and I'm going back for a PhD in a new field.  I managed to find a good program fit within reasonable commuting distance (~30 minutes).  I am also very fortunate in that I will be able to reduce my hours at my middle management job by taking educational leave.  (I have no plans of leaving that position... I'm on a good career trajectory.)

I don't have illusions about grad school being easy, but still I feel like it's something that I will do well, having looked back at the past 15 years since I got my master's.  I visited the program last year while students were giving presentations, and thought, "I can do that!"

I simply feel like the "stars are aligned" and I'm in the right place, at the right time, and it's going to be great.

... am I delusional? ;)

@ callista - thanks for reviving this thread! I find it really inspirational. And I don't think you are delusional at all. I think the most important first step is envisioning yourself there and you've done that. The stars are aligned and it feels right so go for it! 

I'm 36 years old and will be starting my MFA in Poetry this fall. Completely different field from what I'm currently doing for a living, but it's my passion and I've wanted to do this for a long, long time. I won't be quite as close to home as you, but I did apply to programs within a 3-mile radius of my current home and my (aging) folks (the program has to work for your life). Frankly, I'm really glad that I waited as long as I did because my writing is much more mature. I think time may have given me an edge, rather than been a hindrance. Anyway, like you, I feel like the time is right.

Best of luck as you start your new program...it sounds like you're going to kill it!