Waiting it out 2012... 'I've just submitted my application' thread

fenderpete

Finally completed FAFSA and Yale's separate financial aid application. Yale had a field for Trust Funds. :lol:

Trust funds you say? I wonder how many people check that off? BTW when's the deadline for FAFSA?

I don't know if there's a common deadline for all states and schools, but generally it's recommended to file before March 1. Yale stipulated a February 15 deadline, for instance. The sooner it's done, the sooner the program can consider you for aid (and the sooner you'll figure out what you need in terms of loans).

How come the other schools don't make you fill one out explicitly? I know a couple of the schools I applied to asked about my sources of income etc but I only remember seeing one ask about the FAFSA

I've decided I don't. My undergrad notified me with an envelope filled with confetti and a window cling as well as a "CONGRATULATIONS" card. It was pretty awesome.

I'm actually a fan of the online notification because it will cut out the need of another human being on the other end of a potentially awkward phone call.

It's MONDAY! that's all... happy waiting everybody... :wacko:

Tell me about it. I barely slept last night. I awoke to an email at 3am, only to realize that I hadn't turned off all of my social networking notifications. That was the end of sleep for me, and I almost deleted that particular network account, lol.

I'm actually a fan of the online notification because it will cut out the need of another human being on the other end of a potentially awkward phone call.

I just remember how awkward it was when I came home from school to see I was wait-listed at my top choice (which i then got into and attended :) ). What's so awkward about that, you may ask? Well, my mom had already opened it to see if she should go surprise me with a celebratory cake and balloons, and wasn't home when I got back from school ... so when she got home .... yeesh. I can only imagine what she was thinking/feeling on the drive home, knowing I was there, devastated.

I still didn't have to talk to people, I submitted online and got a card in the mail. Of course that was at my parents where I knew and trusted all of our mail people. My current city is a black-hole when it comes to mail. My deposit for field school was "lost" for over a month thanks to USPS here and I almost lost my spot.

I think phone calls are horrible and I wanted to cry when I saw my top choice notifies rejections by phone after the interview stage. I hate phones in general.

I think phone calls are horrible and I wanted to cry when I saw my top choice notifies rejections by phone after the interview stage. I hate phones in general.

Oh that's awful... i don't know hwy adcoms would think that's a good idea. "Hmm, yes, let's call them and see how long they can hold back tears!"

that is so true and conversely if you don't show any emotions re: a rejecton, will they hold it against you if you apply again? "Oh he probably didn't care anyway" ... at least w/an electronic message, I am the only one who can see my inital reaction and I don't have to think about anything else. Maybe that's just me

I must be one of the only to have NO idea when the decision dates are........Mostly because I am working right now and enjoying my life a bit that I don't even really want to think about going back to school (sigh).

I sort of just threw it ALL aside when I finished applications, didn't even bother check decision dates. Assumed that they are in early march (like undergrad).

Imagine the surprise when I opend an email today to see TWO decision emails, from Feb 2nd and 3rd respectively............

At least one of the surprises is good. I did get accepted by U Michigan, which was one of my top choices, and rejected by Emory, which was my back-up. Shrug.

I think I finally managed to exhaust myself with anxiety. I feel kind of detached and calm. (Although I haven't stopped checking my e-mail).

That happened to me this morning and I actually got some work done. It was great. Now I'm back to my usual state of worrying and nervousness.

I must be one of the only to have NO idea when the decision dates are........Mostly because I am working right now and enjoying my life a bit that I don't even really want to think about going back to school (sigh).

I sort of just threw it ALL aside when I finished applications, didn't even bother check decision dates. Assumed that they are in early march (like undergrad).

Imagine the surprise when I opend an email today to see TWO decision emails, from Feb 2nd and 3rd respectively............

At least one of the surprises is good. I did get accepted by U Michigan, which was one of my top choices, and rejected by Emory, which was my back-up. Shrug.

Well that's good you weren't up on the dates admission announcements were because you would've been hit up w/so many PMs from folks on here, who were applying to the same programs. Congrats on the acceptance to your top choice. Oh and shout out to your Kanye shrug

That happened to me this morning and I actually got some work done. It was great. Now I'm back to my usual state of worrying and nervousness.

Yeah, I thought I might be entering a new psychological stage of waiting, but unfortunately the numbness only lasted long enough for me to get a good night's sleep.

I thought I'd be able to relax once I submitted all my apps...boy was I wrong! 3 of my apps are still missing a transcript or reference - both of which I have been bugging the respective parties (my undergrad school and the reference) about, yet so far they have not been recieved. It's so frustrating when I have done all this work and now my future comes down to relying on a few people who have nothing to loose or gain by doing their part. One of my apps was done by early January, and is officially under review...it's rolling admissions, so I have no clue when I might hear. I'm assuming the earlier you apply, the earlier you hear...but I want to know if others have heard anything from them yet! Is there a thread for "Did anyone hear back from college/university xyz?" ???

Edited by katiemk1230

I thought I'd be able to relax once I submitted all my apps...boy was I wrong! 3 of my apps are still missing a transcript or reference - both of which I have been bugging the respective parties (my undergrad school and the reference) about, yet so far they have not been recieved. It's so frustrating when I have done all this work and now my future comes down to relying on a few people who have nothing to loose or gain by doing their part. One of my apps was done by early January, and is officially under review...it's rolling admissions, so I have no clue when I might hear. I'm assuming the earlier you apply, the earlier you hear...but I want to know if others have heard anything from them yet! Is there a thread for "Did anyone hear back from college/university xyz?" ???

No it seems all schools have a set criteria as far when they announce, etc. I know one of my schools required a 01 Dec 11 deadline application and I haven't heard back and another school had a 15 Jan 12 app deadline, which I hear they will be announcing sometime next week.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got accepted to my dream PhD program with amazing funding! Since this is my second year applying, the relief is immense. Even though I haven't always been an active contributor to these forums, I've always read along and felt so much better knowing there were others out there going through the same anxiety/stress. This has definitely been the most stressful two years of my life, and I want to thank each and every one of you for sharing your stories/concerns/etc. I hope that everyone gets the results they want---I'll be sending good vibes your way!! Thank you!

I just got accepted to my dream PhD program with amazing funding! Since this is my second year applying, the relief is immense. Even though I haven't always been an active contributor to these forums, I've always read along and felt so much better knowing there were others out there going through the same anxiety/stress. This has definitely been the most stressful two years of my life, and I want to thank each and every one of you for sharing your stories/concerns/etc. I hope that everyone gets the results they want---I'll be sending good vibes your way!! Thank you!

Congrats!