Anyone applying for fall 2012 cycle?

I just wanted to start a new thread. It seems like so many of the ones on here are super old.

Anyone applying in medical/psychological anth?

Medical and psychological anthro here! Where are you applying? I've got UCSD, UCLA, UC Berkeley, and Emory on my list.

Medical/psychological anthropology here, too, though cultural at a few universities that don't have a distinct MedAnth program.

Out of curiosity, how many schools are you guys applying to? And is your number of schools based on some sense of what is normal, the limits of your budget, or entirely arbitrary? I know no one else who is applying or has applied to anthropology programs (besides professors, of course), so I really lack an understanding of what, if anything, is "normal".

I am applying to ten... I don't know if that's crazy. I decided because I wanted to get myself out there as much as possible to raise my chances of getting in somewhere, and didn't want to just apply to my 3 dream schools. I don't really mind how much it costs because I saved up just for it. I don't know how many is normal, but I suspect it will be a lot of work and I might end up dropping 2 or 3 in the end as I hear back from potential advisors and gather more info on the programs. But those ten truthfully have my interest so it's not like I am just applying at random. How many are you going to apply to?

I have a couple without a distinct med anth concentration too, but I am definitely more reluctant about those because I fear they wouldn't train me as well?

Medical/psychological anthropology here, too, though cultural at a few universities that don't have a distinct MedAnth program.

Out of curiosity, how many schools are you guys applying to? And is your number of schools based on some sense of what is normal, the limits of your budget, or entirely arbitrary? I know no one else who is applying or has applied to anthropology programs (besides professors, of course), so I really lack an understanding of what, if anything, is "normal".

I'm applying to 3, but I already have a safety school secured (Colorado) so I don't have a lot to lose if I don't get into any of them. My first go around I applied to 6 though. I don't really think there are averages for this sort of thing, some people will only apply to one and others will apply to dozens. Some schools will include on their applications a section where you list the other programs you are applying to, but I don't know if this affects any admissions decisions (probably not).

Is anyone here applying to a PhD program who already has their MA in anth? The process already feels to different than the first go around ...

I'm in the second year of a 2-year MA Social Anthropology program. I will be starting my application process for the Fall 2012 program (Cultural Anthropology) as soon as my next lot of midterms finish.

I would really appreciate any advice/suggestions at this point.

So far, all I've done is given the GRE, and now I am waiting for the scores. The scores I got at the end of the test are V:650-750 Q:630-730. How good or bad are these scores?

Also, I'm absolutely sure I've mucked up the AW...I can never write well under pressure... and definitely not using a computer... I'm a traditional pen-and-paper gal where that goes. Any advice on what I can do to make up for it?

Thanks in advance.

same here-ish! I'm also applying to ucsf and uchicago. i went there for my MA so I'm hoping to go back.

what is your top choice?

this process is... the worst haha.

Yeah, it's so stressful. I think this website both helps and hurts, but I can't stay away! :)

UCSD is my top choice but I'm only applying to places that I really want to go so I'll be happy with anything.

I'm applying to USF in Tampa and SUNY Binghamton for Medical Anth masters programs. And to whoever made the comment likening the personal statement to a root canal- I agree 100%. Who would have thought a few pages of talking about stuff we love could be so difficult?