Attentiveness in class

nehs

This is embarassing but is bothering me for a few days now. I'm female and 27 , for those of you who are curious.

I'm unable to concentrate in the class, I mean my classmates listen attentively,process the informaion in their minds and even ask questions. I'm not even able to process the information because I haven't listened. Or does this mean they read the book prior to attending class? I do read up in advance for some courses and for some I don't.

Any one has an idea what this could be? Is it more of a health reason than my mind? Could it be fatigue affecting me? I don't know from where to start - a physicial, a dietician or just more hard work?

I do read up in advance for some courses and for some I don't.
When you do prepare, are you reading the course materials or are you studying the course materials?

I also have problems staying focused in class. My solution: I take extremely good notes. If I don't take notes, my mind wanders and I doodle. I don't know if this method will work for you, but you could try it.

It wouldn't hurt to ask a doctor about the problems you are having, you never know. Staying focused on stuff, I think, is something everyone has trouble with at least one time or another. Part of the problem might be the class too. Last semester, I had a class a 8am. I was NOT awake for that class! This semester, I have classes that are 1 day a week so they last 3 hours. You start to get pretty restless about half way through.

I'm unable to concentrate in the class, I mean my classmates listen attentively,process the informaion in their minds and even ask questions. I'm not even able to process the information because I haven't listened. Or does this mean they read the book prior to attending class? I do read up in advance for some courses and for some I don't.

Everyone learns and processes information differently. Know your learning style and harness it to your advantage. They might have skimmed the book for the most relevant passages/arguments. Or maybe they read book reviews prior to class. Do you know how to gut a book? There are different strategies on getting the information you need in a timely fashion so that when you come to class you have a grasp of some of the material and are able to follow/participate. Some of them look like they're into it but they might be daydreaming. Others might be spewing out BS that they pulled out of their asses.

What's giving you trouble following? Are you having trouble with the material in general or do you have issues with concentration? Are you doing most of your readings before class? I know it's hard to get everything done, and sometimes it's unrealistic, but you really should be skimming through most of the material, at least. For the courses that you don't prepare for, that's your fault (and we've all done that from time to time no judgment here). Doesn't mean you have to read page by page but are you taking notes while you read? Does taking notes help you to remember the material?

Maybe your classmates are better at thinking spontaneously. Maybe you need take more time to process the readings and to come up with points and questions before class? Part of you feeling like you're not following or learning anything might be performance anxiety. I had that and I know what it's like to feel like you're not contributing anything to the discussion, despite having prepared before class.

Edited by clio11

Sigaba,

I just skim/read through the course materials. And then after class, either the same day or some other day, I study the material.

emm, You mean you take notes during class or you prepare earlier and go into class with your notes? taking notes is a good idea but I sometimes feel it is uselss when I'm not following the subject matter and so I just give up on that.

robot-hamster,

I am apprehensive about things like ADD.ADHd in adults! That dear itself is preventing me from seeing a doctor. Well, yes it could be other factors like class timings, I get very tired by the time my lcasses start, usually 7 pm. And yes, I get restless too. So thatm akes me wonder : how are some students so focussed througout the 2 or 3 hour period? Red bull may be :D ?

clio,

My style is self study! Damn me. I'm not a bad student, but peer pressure of wanting to ask questions, follow matter in the class is what my problem is.

But then it could affect my grades and confidence if I don't dpeak up in class. So I have to put an end to this, atlreast for the most part.

Yeah, may be ppl are spewing out BS or just randomly asking questions but I'm unable to do that either(may be this is a different problem in itself - being b old to ask questions).

Takling notes definitely helps me remember material and also comprehend it as I read.

As you say, I might not be so good at thinking spontaneously. I'm always 'slow' in that regard. Can this be improved? And yes, partly could be perfomance anxiety as well.

If I'm not following the material, I still try to take good notes, so I can figure out the parts that didn't make sense later -- with lots of time and reference materials as necessary (including internet ).

clio,

My style is self study! Damn me. I'm not a bad student, but peer pressure of wanting to ask questions, follow matter in the class is what my problem is.

But then it could affect my grades and confidence if I don't dpeak up in class. So I have to put an end to this, atlreast for the most part.

Yeah, may be ppl are spewing out BS or just randomly asking questions but I'm unable to do that either(may be this is a different problem in itself - being b old to ask questions).

Takling notes definitely helps me remember material and also comprehend it as I read.

As you say, I might not be so good at thinking spontaneously. I'm always 'slow' in that regard. Can this be improved? And yes, partly could be perfomance anxiety as well.

I hear ya. This is a class that just started right? Or has this been a problem before? Maybe when the novelty of the class setting dies down you will feel more comfortable expressing yourself? I would like to think some professors are aware of issues like this for students and will take this into consideration when handing out grades. Do you write really strong papers?

Another thing to remember is that you don't always have to be talking/thinking about what to say. Slow doesn't = bad. People think differently and whatever conclusions you come to in your head are not less or more valuable if they took 10 minutes to get at instead of 2 minutes. I think you can contribute more with sparse but really insightful and original comments rather than chiming in with whatever is on your mind every time the discussion takes another direction.

If this is performance anxiety, like any other fear I think the more you face it the easier it will become! :)

Honestly, this has always been an issue for me. It's part of the reason I totally failed my first two years as an undergrad...20+ years ago. I ended up blogging about my solution a while ago: http://unlikelygrad.wordpress.com/2010/01/19/staying-awake/

The short answer is that I need to do something while I sit in class. People think that I'm not paying attention because I do Sudoku or whatever during class, but the truth of the matter is that I focus BETTER when I'm doing something else.

The other day I walked into the seminar room, sat down, and whipped out my pencil and pack of puzzles. My neighbor said, "Honestly, UnlikelyGrad...how many of those puzzles do you think you've done since you've started grad school? Hundreds? Thousands?" *blush*

I have the same problem. I just had a 3 hour class, early Monday morning and it was pretty rough. I love the topic of the class, but the earliness and length makes it difficult to stay focused.

I try to take good notes. Taking notes on my computer helps a little so I don't doodle as much. I think most people have trouble staying focused past an hour so don't feel bad!

I have this problem too, especially since my MS classes are three hours long. I also have the problem where if I take notes in real-time I don't follow what's being said either. Here's what I do to get around these:

- Do the reading ahead of time if possible.

- If notes or slides are made available before class, print them out and follow along during the lecture. Take notes on them to supplement them. This way, at least for me, I'm not so consumed with taking notes that I don't process what's being said, but I'm engaging with the material so that I don't tune out.

- If not, find the portion of the textbook that is the subject of the lecture, and do something similar. If there's no class textbook, find a relevant book yourself, or print articles.

- If the class is longer than 90 minutes or so, take a bathroom break. Most profs aren't sadists and will have a break anyway if it's a long class, but if they don't, take one regardless. It's not like they'll tell you that you can't go pee, and the walk and switch in environment will clear your head a little.

The short answer is that I need to do something while I sit in class. People think that I'm not paying attention because I do Sudoku or whatever during class, but the truth of the matter is that I focus BETTER when I'm doing something else.

I've had people give me crap about this (saying it's disrespectful, etc.), but I find that's how I work too. I try my best to take detailed notes to stay focused, but the whole time isn't spent taking notes, so I need something like a crossword puzzle to keep my brain active.

nehs--

Thanks for your reply. One additional question. When you're reading course materials, do you find yourself taking short naps?

Clio11's emphasis on individual differences is, IMO, a good point to consider. You spend time talking about what you don't do well relative to your classmates. But what about the things you do well? (Knowing how to ask for help is a great skill to have.) Are there ways you can "play to your strengths?" Would you feel comfortable organizing a study group and inviting classmates from whom you could learn the skills you want to develop?

In regards to your reluctance to talk in class, please remember two things. First, the only stupid question is the one that you don't ask. Second, a professor's office hours may provide a good opportunity for you to discuss some of your concerns, to get some feedback, and to demonstrate what you know.

emm, that makes sense. May be I should also jot down stuff that I don't understand.

cliopatra, your reply sounds comforting. yes, this is a new class, a new semester and i am a new grad student! :) As you say, I might feel better as a few chapters are completed

and I am on 'top of the material'. I hope professors are aware of such things because talking in class may not necesasrily imply knowledge or a better student. Yes, I am decent with papers.

there is a portion of performance anxiety for sure.

unlikelygrad, I'm reading your blogpost as I type this reply. Crossword puzzles sound a good idea. But I feel that, in my case, part of the problem could be solved by reading ahead of the class. don't you think so?

and I'm going to take some puzzles this coming week. Let's see how that goes!

neuropsych, taking notes on ur computer is a good idea. I don't carry my computer to class all the time. May be it will help because when I study at home, I take my noted on my computer. So having a copy of the notes in front of me may be good.

starmaker, my classes are also rrally long! about 2.5 hours..My mind starts wandering after the first hour. Your tips are great. I was planning on reading ahead of class, which i currently don't do as much, and also print the lecture slides. oh and by the way I'm in a similar program as you ! :)

which city are you in?

sigaba,

no, i don't take naps. yes, i definitely have some strengths but not really recognized any as of now :D . Groups study sounds good but considering the fact that most in my program are 'loners' anyway, I might be left with very few people to choose from which is fine with me. May be I could talk about this with a couple of my friends..

office hours..ahhh..how could I forget that? I somehow always thought that going to the professor during his/her office hours with questions from the text book is a silly thing to do.

Hello all, thank you very much for ur inputs. I have made a little action plan for myself

-read ahead of time and make my own notes

-take cross word puzzles or print the lecture slides in advance so that my mind does not start wandering

-keep in touch with prof outside class, if i'm inable to do so in the class, by using his/her office hours

Edited by nehs

nehs, I *ALWAYS* read ahead--in some cases I'm the only one in the class that's done so. It doesn't make a difference. My problem is not a complete lack of understanding, but rather a complete inability to sit still for long periods of time without falling asleep. This is true anywhere: school, church, you name it. I can't even WATCH TV without falling asleep--hence my need to keep busy somehow.

• 1 month later...

I've found myself taking less notes now in grad school then in undergrad. Perhaps that may be because out of the three courses that I take, one is a seminar, another is an applied course, and the other is stats (i do, however, take notes in this one).

What has really aided in my paying attention in class is getting to know my profs. Knowing them on a more intimate level (most of our profs like to be on a first name basis with the grad students) has in some weird way made me want to pay closer attention to what they are saying. I can't really describe this well. But it's kind of like "that's not just boring prof. X, that's Bob who has two awesome kids and a really sweet collection of (insert weird fascinating hobby)." I guess that probably doesn't or won't work for everyone but it has helped through even the most boring stats labs.

If you looked at my notes from when I took class in grad school, half would pertain to the lecture and the rest would be doodles, to do lists, stream of consciousness ramblings, and offensive drawings (never borrow notes from me if you have puritanical beliefs). I did quite well in class but I fade in and out of paying attention in class, most of my learning came from reviewing the notes or reading.