The Fletcher MALD Thread Spring/Fall 2012

Clay Made

Hey guys, I'm applying for the Spring admissions cycle and wanted to set something up to see who else may be applying for Spring or Fall.

So feel free to jot down your questions, discussions, concerns, confidences, etc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love to hear from everyone as to where they may be in their application process :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also applying for Fall 2012, normal track, because I want more time to study for the GRE. I'm apprehensive about my non-IR and lack of economics background.

I am too. Hopefully, the GRE score works out well. Anyone with any idea as to how the new scores correspond with old ones?

• 1 month later...

So is anyone else applying early? My MALD application is basically done. I'm just waiting on one more LOR, and then I will be gladly hitting the submit button (and not so gladly forking over $70).

jrnels -- I sent my application in a few days ago, even though my LORs hadn't been finalized yet by then. I think the admissions office is ok with the application coming before the LORs.

If this year is anything like last year's admission cycle, I'm expecting to hear back from the admissions committee by Dec. 12. Best of luck!

If this year is anything like last year's admission cycle, I'm expecting to hear back from the admissions committee by Dec. 12. Best of luck!

Oh wow, really? People heard back that early? That's crazy! I am admittedly very green in this process, having only gone through the law school process last year. So, excuse my lack of understanding, but do people all hear back around the same time, or is generally based on a candidate's application strength?

Last year's early applicants to MALD were hearing back by roughly the second week of December. Not sure if that has any bearing on the strength of the applicants though.

The admissions folks did say that they could accept, defer, or flat our reject applicants from the early application pool.

All this is based solely on what I found on other forum threads. Hopefully it's accurate though. It'd be great to find out so early.

Hi all,

I've been casually monitoring the boards for awhile now but this is my first post. I'm still very much in the middle of the applications process (writing essays, securing and following up with recommenders, sending off scores and transcripts, etc.), despite having just completed and sent in my Tufts application. I'm applying to MPP/MPA programs in addition to some of the most frequently mentioned IR programs on these boards. If possible, could anyone offer thoughts on my chances at Tufts and the other schools I'm applying to? I've noticed that the advice on these boards is usually quite insightful, as compared to say, the feedback I received on college confidential when applying to undergrad. Thanks in advance and good luck to you all throughout these semi-stressful next few months.

Program Applied To: MPA/MPP/IR

Schools Applied To: Tufts, Hopkins SAIS, HSK, Georgetown, UChicago Harris, WWS for sure. What do you think?

I'm also considering applying to Michigan Ford, Berkeley Goldman, Columbia SIPA, and maybe Indiana.

Undergraduate institution: A public ivy - Top 25 national university, according to U.S. News. But what do they know?

Undergraduate GPA: 3.7

Undergraduate Major: Public Policy (Focus area of economics in the developing world)

GRE Quantitative Score: 770

GRE Verbal Score: 680

GRE AW Score: 5

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 2 years (both spent doing non-profit work abroad)

Years of Work Experience:~3 years (including internships during college)

Describe Relevant Work Experience:

Part-time research assistant under a prominent journalist for the New Yorker Magazine

2-year Princeton in Asia Fellowship (volunteer-teaching in rural China)

PR and Marketing work for a clean energy non-profit in Shanghai (summer internship)

Grassroots organizing for a political campaign (summer internship)

Other: Half of my life spent living abroad, traveled to more than 15 countries. Approaching oral fluency in Mandarin, with strong reading and writing ability as well. I think my LORs and SOP should be average to strong.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Judging by your stats I'd say you don't have too much to be worried about either. Any other opinions? I'm especially curious about how I might stack up specifically at various institutions. Should I definitely be looking to apply to "safer" schools like Michigan and Indiana?

Just got logged into the Tufts Application Management System. It's hard to believe that we'll be accessing admissions decisions through this website in less than a month!

Edited by grtheman

• 2 weeks later...

Waiting so patiently. The Fletcher admissions office has been pretty good so far which has made the whole process pain-free. I had some transcript problems and had to update them about a change in employment, and they always responded quickly and relatively helpfully.

We should probably know by this time in two weeks!

Edited by jrnels