The Fletcher MALD Thread Spring/Fall 2012

Clay Made

I don't know if anyone else reads the Fletcher admissions blog, but an admissions officer wrote the following about when we should be hearing back:

I’m sorry I can’t give you an exact date yet, but I’m sure it will be before the end of December (most likely more than a week before the end of the month). We’re still deep in the application review phase, and there’s a final sign-off process after that. At least I can tell you that things are moving along.

So "more than a week before the end of the month" should be on track with what we had estimated.

Early notification folks -- I may be off the mark, but I'm starting to get the impression that we'll find out later than the early notification applicants did last year. If the Fletcher blog post excerpts below are accurate, it would seem that the committee is about one week behind schedule compared to last year.

Fletcher blog post from today: "The Committee on Admissions reviewing fall 2012 applications will meet for the first time today."

Blog post from December 3, 2010: "It isn’t until we start the Early Notification process that we bring in our full forces — this year including the Admissions staff, three professors, and eight students — and we’re just about to have our inaugural meeting."

Deferred here, too. But being fresh out of undergrad with no work experience and having majored in music and French lit, I feel pretty good about it hahahaha.

I assume they just look at your application with the rest of them at adcom meetings throughout February. I will probably make some effort to reach out to professors or give a more detailed update about what I'm doing right now. More information can't hurt!

I got rejected, but was told to reapply in two years, after getting some work experience. Not entirely unexpected, but still a little disappointed. I'll see about my other schools, I'm also looking into jobs though. Fletcher wasn't my first choice and only getting in half of my transcripts probably hurt my chances too. But basically, it was just the lack of work experience and nothing really outstanding to offset it, I think.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I submitted early decision to Fletcher but ended up in the regular applicant pool because my LORs didn't come in on time >:-/.

Those of you that got accepted/rejected early decision, post your stats!

What are my chances? Tufts is definitely my first choice -my mom went there!

GPA: 3.94 from a top 20 public university

Degree: Political Science, IR concentration

Minors in Nonprofit Management and International Studies in Agriculture and Life Sciences

A couple of econ classes and Stats I & II, got an A in all of them. Ford Global Scholars program with an internship at the US Hispanic Chamber of Commerce; published legislative white paper on No Child Left Behind and its effect on minorities.

GRE: 660 Verbal (94%)

710 Quant (72%)

4.5 Writing

I feel decent about my SOP and my evaluative interview went really well.

3 years out of school. 1 year volunteering in rural education advocacy in Nicaragua, Teach For America on the border of Mexico with 99% Hispanic population, now working as a grant writer and research coordinator at a medical school for new Global Health Initiative.

Issues: I dropped an econ class (it was supposed to be online but ended up having in-person components I couldn't attend) which I later took and received an A. Left Teach For America early due to an unexpected family emergency (TFA fully encouraged the decision to leave and granted me an emergency release. My principal was also supportive and is writing me a letter of rec for grad school)

Thoughts?

I also applied to: SIPA (MIA), SFS (MSFS), Maxwell (MAIR)

Still Waiting: All

Undergraduate institution: Foreign University

Undergraduate GPA: Equivalent to 3.60

Undergraduate Major: Economics, concentration in Political Studies and International Relations

GRE:

Q: 156 (74%)

V: 156 (72%)

AW: 4.0 (48%)

Years Out of Undergrad: Just graduated!

Years of Work Experience:

Describe Relevant Work Experience: Interned for a semester at the Colombian Embassy in DC and then worked for a semester as Research Assistant (research on issues regarding Asia Pacific).

Quant: Many! (5 maths, 4 stats/econometrics, 2 macroeconomics, 3 microeconomics, ...)

Foreign languages: English (fluent), learning French

International experience4: Lived in DC for a semester (internship), lived in Australia for a semester as an exchange student, and lived in London for 2 years

Strength of SOP: Genuinely explains how I became interested in IR and security issues (drawing on my personal experience and my experiences abroad). I briefly commented on the skills gained during my experiences abroad and my undergraduate studies, and wrapped up with why did I choose the specific program.

Strength of LOR: Embassy supervisor , boss at the Centre where I worked as RA (former ambassador to China), and the mayor of my city (I work for his campaign)

Questions/Comments: I think that I have a good profile -specially for an undergrad-, but am not sure if that is going to be enough (specially compared with other applicants that have had loads of experience). I hope the admissions committees don't penalise me for my lack of "professional experince" (although I make up for this with my international exposure). Any thoughts? Do I have a chance?

@rose1 your work experience looks solid and I don't think they would penalize you for having a family emergency (but hopefully you or a recommender explained it thoroughly). Scores seem average-ish but GPA looks great. Unless something weird happens I think you're looking good. Sorry your LORs weren't in time for EN, that's a bit annoying.

@JF I really don't think any of these more pragmatically-oriented policy or IR schools are great options for people coming straight out of college. From the POV of someone 4 years out of undergrad applying now, people seeking these degrees have first-hand background in the issues they're interested in, and are looking for similar perspectives in the classroom environment. Your "lack of 'professional experience'" will def be noted because as I understand this is one of the main critera by which they are evaluating all of us (if not THE most important). Other people on this thread seem to have higher stats but were not admitted without relevant work experience. That being said you do have relevant internship experience and it's good that your LORs reflect that, so maybe that will tip the scale somewhere.

My stats (admitted early notification): top school, 4 years in non-profit, 3.6+, 95+ percentile on all GRE sections

@Piq -Thanks a lot and good luck with the other schools you applied to! I also applied to SAIS and SFS.

@JF - They recently set up the Map Your Future Program for people straight out of university, which indicates their serious preference for work experience. I've heard that the biggest reason Fletcher gives for rejecting applicants is lack of work experience. HOWEVER, someone else on this thread said they were deferred from EN with no work experience, so the admissions committee clearly thinks they might still have a chance in the general applicant pool. Also, they might look differently at people that are coming from outside the US. They know that college completion timelines are different elsewhere in the world

Deferred here, too. But being fresh out of undergrad with no work experience and having majored in music and French lit, I feel pretty good about it hahahaha.

I assume they just look at your application with the rest of them at adcom meetings throughout February. I will probably make some effort to reach out to professors or give a more detailed update about what I'm doing right now. More information can't hurt!

@jmels did you apply Map Your Future or regular track with MALD?

I was accepted into the Map Your Future program on January 26th. It's a program for senior in undergraduate or recent graduate students to apply and get a secure spot with scholarship $$$ into The Fletcher School. I recommend those who are thinking of Fletcher without work experience to apply to this program. Although it's probably not helpful for most in this forum now, but for future reference!

Is anybody else applying for Pickering/Rangel Graduate fellowships?

@jmels did you apply Map Your Future or regular track with MALD?

I didn't. I already graduated from undergrad, so I didn't qualify. I did apply for Pickering and Rangel, though. VERY anxious to hear back about those.

I didn't. I already graduated from undergrad, so I didn't qualify. I did apply for Pickering and Rangel, though. VERY anxious to hear back about those.

Same man. The wait is here. Great thing is that we'll know by the end of February! So not too much longer to wait! Good luck and keep me posted.

Same man. The wait is here. Great thing is that we'll know by the end of February! So not too much longer to wait! Good luck and keep me posted.

How do you figure that? I've been looking everywhere for a notification date for finalists but haven't been able to find anything. End of February would be AWESOME. Good luck to everyone--

How do you figure that? I've been looking everywhere for a notification date for finalists but haven't been able to find anything. End of February would be AWESOME. Good luck to everyone--

I was a Rangel Scholar last summer so I know a lot of current fellows and they told me the notification dates. Good luck to you as well!