Is my Undergraduate Preparation Suitable for my Goals?

Tanner

I am an undergraduate sophomore at a "Big Ten" state university. Unfortunately, my university doesn't have a linguistics program. When I first resolved to study linguistics about three years ago, my interests lay in historical linguistics and language documentation. This changed when I began to sink my teeth further into the more theoretical domains. For some time now this has been my chief area of interest. Is it possible for me to get into a top linguistics program with formal preparation in areas only tangentially related to theoretical linguistics proper? This is me in a nutshell:

Majors: German, Russian, Latin

Minors: Spanish, Mathematics

Current GPA: 3.95

University Honors Program

Dean's List every semester so far

Mathematics minor means that I have taken the full calculus sequence but no upper level math.

I will have completed two courses in formal logic.

This semester I began a systematic reading of the linguistics literature. This self education will not be manifest in my transcripts, naturally. Rather, I hope that my success in the endeavor is evident in my undergraduate thesis (see directly below).

I am in the University Honors Program, meaning that I will produce a thesis before graduation. I intend to use this as an opportunity to attempt original linguistics research (and hopefully not embarrass myself too much).

I will have studied classics for a semester at the Humboldt University of Berlin and possibly for an academic year in Russia.

I am also acquainted with Coptic and Ancient Greek.

As you can see, the track that I set out on my freshman year is perhaps more characteristic of a student preparing for graduate work with a historical linguistics specialization. It's only in an ad hoc manner that I've added the mathematics, logic, and (maybe) computer science courses that I feel demonstrate the critical thinking skills that such programs value. Please be honest with me and tell me what you really think about my chances at getting into a good program with a theoretical focus.

Edited by Tanner

The bottom line -- before the long post that follows below -- is that I think you could have a decent chance of being accepted to a good program, but it depends a lot on how strong a case you can make for yourself in your application.

I think the main concern that adcoms will have with your application is how to determine (i) whether or not you will be able to finish a graduate program successfully and in a timely fashion, and (relatedly) (ii) how certain they can be that you are committed and that you know what you're getting yourself into. The best way for you to demonstrate that you are a serious candidate is to show that you can formulate interesting questions about some subfield of linguistics, or at least that you understand the kinds of questions that are currently being discussed in the field.

Since there aren't that many formal linguistics programs out there, ling departments regularly accept students who have less training in at least some of the core areas of linguistics (phonology, syntax, semantics--usually it turns out to be semantics), and occasionally they accept students with no formal background at all. Your math/logic background as well as your efforts to teach yourself materials that your school isn't offering will be strong assets in your application. In particular, if you are interested in formal semantics then your math/logic training will make you a potentially strong candidate (and if that's the case, I can recommend some introductory textbooks that you should be familiar with). The main selling point in your application will have to be your SOP - you'll need write a thoughtful essay that explains in detail the kinds of questions and problems that you find exciting, and why. You should discuss any relevant material you have taught yourself, and you should discuss your thesis in detail.

The next thing to discuss is LORs: that's another potential problem you could face - you may not have anyone with a relevant background who could testify to your potential to succeed in a ling program. At the very least, you should make sure that your Honors thesis advisor is aware of all your efforts to self-teach. In addition, if there is any ling professor at a university nearby I think you would benefit a lot from meeting with them - both for feedback and for a potential letter. If that's not possible, strong letters from other professors should still make it possible for you to be accepted to a good program.

BTW: if this trip to the Humboldt university hasn't happened yet, PM me and I can suggest some ling professors in the Berlin area that you should get in touch with while you're there. Similarly, if you are going to Moscow, Moscow State University has a good ling program. Take advantage of semesters abroad to explore the ling departments and ling professors in those places. Sometimes ling professors are not sitting in ling departments (they can be in English depts or in independent research institutes, for example), but there could be options out there that you should be actively seeking.

Edited by fuzzylogician

• 1 month later...

Your background is excellent! I wouldn't worry too much if I were you.

It is true that universities normally require proof of previous formal training in Linguistics. Applicants who do not meet this requirement might be denied admission into the MA program but may be admitted to a qualifying-year program designed to raise their applicant status in view of the next admission session. While this requirement exists, I think admission committees are willing to be flexible about it as long as the applicant can stack enough cards in his / her favor. Remember: an application package consists of many items.

So, although you cannot show proof of previous training in Linguistics, you still have a great GPA to speak for you. An eclectic knowledge of languages. And a desire to compensate through self-study.

My situation somewhat resembled yours. My undergrad courses mainly focused on translation studies. The result is that although I could show transcripts for courses in Syntax, Morphology, etc., I actually possessed little theoretical knowledge in those subjects. Right now I am in my first year of grad school and I discover just how much I have to catch up on. Catching up is tough but, I think, manageable. I see your question was posted about a month ago. In case you are still interested, I can tell you that upon registration I had to take two compulsory courses, in Syntax and Phonology, and another optional course. For Syntax, the textbook we follow is Adger, David. Core Syntax: A Minimalist Approach. [For an easier introduction to Syntax you may consult Carnie, Andrew. Syntax - A Generative Introduction.] The standard textbook for Phonology is Kenstowicz, Michael. Phonology in Generative Grammar - a very dense book, but do not worry, after the first 3-400 pages it'll begin to make some sense.... [For an easier introduction consult Odden. Introducing Phonology - compulsory, if you are starting Phonology from scratch.. Btw one good tip when you read Kenstowicz is to browse a little through the sub-headings and to hunt down and highlight the 'to sum up' paragraphs...that way you'll begin to see some light in that jungle of a book..]

I sincerely think you'll be able to cope all right. Just make sure you state your case forcefully in your statement of purpose. Also, you could try contacting the admission committee - or even the head of the Department of Linguistics of the school where you are applying, or any other professor in the department - and explain to them your situation. Btw many schools require that you submit a sample research paper along with your application...and you've decided to write a paper in Linguistics...well, things begin to fall into place, don't they? Make it good and it'll count towards your application.

Good luck!

Edited by jolly_orang

• 2 weeks later...

I think you have a good shot. I think schools will be sympathetic to the fact that there is no established linguistics program, and at least for formal linguistics, a background in math is a pretty good substitute because it shows you have aptitude for quantitative approaches. If you have taken the initiative to mold your own coursework, make contacts, etc. then this will be a good indication that you have the passion to make it though.

Probably the very top programs will *generally* look for candidates who have worked with prominent linguists, have taken a lot of coursework, and/or already presented or published original research - it's just a safe bet that way. But it is still possible to show that you have promise even without these things, especially if your thesis is very good, you have strong LORs, and your research interests are a good fit.

To be honest, knowing this early that you want to go to grad school is already a HUGE advantage, because you can plan/mold the next few years around it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the help guys. Upon further investigation, I've found that I'll be able to take courses in linguistics while in Germany in addition to logic and mathematics, so I will have at least some formal instructions, and at the end of the semester I also plan to attend a two week linguistics workshop in eastern Europe. In the last two years at my university I should also have the means to take some computer science courses, which I have been urged to do by a professor at a fairly prominent linguistics program.