Seattle, WA

Found out there were some really cool new apartments in Belltown... but a friend says there used to be a real crack problem.

Folks have any idea how much of a problem this is?  I used to live in Oakland, and in a super meth-heavy city before that so it's not a total deal breaker but it'd be good to know before signing a lease.

Found out there were some really cool new apartments in Belltown... but a friend says there used to be a real crack problem.

Folks have any idea how much of a problem this is?  I used to live in Oakland, and in a super meth-heavy city before that so it's not a total deal breaker but it'd be good to know before signing a lease.

Really? On my visit a few weeks ago Belltown seemed quaint.

I think I'm going to shoot for closer to the campus.

Really? On my visit a few weeks ago Belltown seemed quaint.

I think I'm going to shoot for closer to the campus.

. Green lake area is also very nice!!,

After reading this thread I'm leaning towards Cap Hill for my first year, for the convenience and just to get a feel of the city. What is the longest commute via bus I can expect, with very heavy traffic? What direction is traffic usually in the morning and evenings (from/to UW)?

43 or 49 buses take about 20 minutes from Broadway/John to campus in the morning, which usually doesn't have too much northbound traffic in the 8-9 am window I travel in. Getting back to Capitol Hill from campus in the evenings generally takes longer because of traffic, maybe 25 minutes. Worst case scenario you are on the 43 and have to wait for the Montlake Bridge to open up and allow boats through, which could set you back another 20 minutes with traffic backups.

Yes, a fair amount of of open drug use and dealing around Belltown (mostly 3rd and Pine vicinity). Not outright unsafe, but less safe than most other areas in the city. Not a place I like walking around at night coming back from The Crocodile, and even less so as an easy target by myself with a laptop bag and smartphone. You can look at a real time crime map to get the flavor: http://www.seattle.gov/police/crime/onlinecrimemaps.htm, or just Google " 3rd and Pine".

I certainly wouldn't want to pay $1600+ a month for an "open one bedroom" (the new euphemism for a studio) in Belltown only to have to deal with limited grocery stores and needing to walk through the heart of sketch twice daily to get to and from the UW-bound buses, which are going to be 30+ minute rides each way. I don't know of any UW students who live around Belltown. I think it's mostly people who work downtown or at Amazon.

Guest Gnome Chomsky

This may be a really dumb question, but is there actually a sizable population of students that live on boats?

I was looking into this. If money isn't an issue to you, I would say go for it, but it's very expensive to live on a boat. If you'll be living on someone else's boat, you usually have to pay rent and the monthly docking fee. The docking fee is usually based on the length of the boat. I was looking on Craigslist and I would see adds like "$500 a month to live on my boat." So I would look into it and they had a 30 foot boat that cost $25 per foot per month. That's on top of the $500 a month rent. So it's really $1,250 a month. I couldn't find much of anything that was cheaper than that. 

After reading this thread I'm leaning towards Cap Hill for my first year, for the convenience and just to get a feel of the city. What is the longest commute via bus I can expect, with very heavy traffic? What direction is traffic usually in the morning and evenings (from/to UW)?

It takes so long to get back to Capitol Hill if there's traffic. Tbh again green lake is such a nice area. I spent like 500$ a month including everything in a room with 4 people. (It is a huge house). It is super close to bus stop and the beautiful green lake park.

It takes so long to get back to Capitol Hill if there's traffic. Tbh again green lake is such a nice area. I spent like 500$ a month including everything in a room with 4 people. (It is a huge house). It is super close to bus stop and the beautiful green lake park.

sorry i meant like one person per room with 4 other people in a house

Am I crazy for leaning toward living in the University District? I really like the idea of walking to campus and can deal with living in a more crowded/noisy area as long as it's not crazy crazy but it seems like every grad student lives somewhere else.

Am I crazy for leaning toward living in the University District? I really like the idea of walking to campus and can deal with living in a more crowded/noisy area as long as it's not crazy crazy but it seems like every grad student lives somewhere else.

I have a friend who lives close to campus with a studio. It's not too bad but you can probably get a nicer place with the same price.

What's the rental market like during the summer? It's looking like I'll be moving to Seattle, and I'd like to do so in July or August. Are full-term leases available around those times, or is it mostly summer sublets? 

What's the rental market like during the summer? It's looking like I'll be moving to Seattle, and I'd like to do so in July or August. Are full-term leases available around those times, or is it mostly summer sublets? 

Depends on which area you are talking about :D

Guest Gnome Chomsky

How bout the U District? That's where I want to live. Someone else mentioned most grads students don't want to live in the U District, but I can't understand why. Grad students are too uptight and boring. I've been to Seattle twice in the past 4 months and I love the U District. Lots of stuff to do, very, exciting, close to campus, near downtown, and not as dangerous as people make it out to be. I stayed in a crummy motel for 10 days on Aurora over spring break that was much worse than anything I came across in the U District. And to be honest, even Aurora isn't that bad. Seattle is not a dangerous city, at least not compared to anywhere in the Northeast and most places in the South. 

I want to be close to campus. I'd consider UDistrict, but it seems like I might be happier somewhere more like Ravenna. I'm hoping there's more non-student-rented apartments (ie. ones not on a September lease schedule) further away from campus. 

PS. Best of luck in NYC! Let me know if you have any awesome tips about Seattle :)

Edited by perpetuavix

How bout the U District? That's where I want to live. Someone else mentioned most grads students don't want to live in the U District, but I can't understand why. Grad students are too uptight and boring. I've been to Seattle twice in the past 4 months and I love the U District. Lots of stuff to do, very, exciting, close to campus, near downtown, and not as dangerous as people make it out to be. I stayed in a crummy motel for 10 days on Aurora over spring break that was much worse than anything I came across in the U District. And to be honest, even Aurora isn't that bad. Seattle is not a dangerous city, at least not compared to anywhere in the Northeast and most places in the South. 

Hopefully not this one: http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattle911/2014/04/14/one-hurt-in-aurora-motel-explosion/#22443101=3

How bout the U District? That's where I want to live. Someone else mentioned most grads students don't want to live in the U District, but I can't understand why. Grad students are too uptight and boring. I've been to Seattle twice in the past 4 months and I love the U District. Lots of stuff to do, very, exciting, close to campus, near downtown, and not as dangerous as people make it out to be.

Crime isn't necessarily the main reason to avoid the U District (although the frequent UW alert emails about muggings are not comforting). The U District kind of sucks because not only do you pay a premium for proximity to the UW for units that are often not kept in great condition, but there isn't actually that much to do. If living near fun things matters to you, I would advise against the U District.

The Ave on a Friday or Saturday night is surprisingly pretty dead. A couple of places have good beer and decent food (Shultzy's, Big Time), but most of the bars on the Ave are just college bros drinking cheap pitchers of Bud Light, not even divey in a good way. You have to get outside of the U District to Wallingford or Roosevelt to find bars that have more of a neighborhood feel. Very limited places offering outdoor seating for the 5 months out of the year when we have nice weather. No good for cocktails or wine. Certainly a lot of cheap eats, but you get sick of the basic Thai, Vietnamese, teriyaki, or gyros offerings, especially when you have these for both lunch and dinner because you're a busy grad student and that's all that is convenient for you to pick up. For other kinds of food, brunch on the weekends, or really anything even the tiniest bit more upscale, you need to leave the U District. Far too many frozen yogurt and boba places. The concert venues are almost all in Capitol Hill or Ballard, you won't see much live music in the U District and will have to bus/bike. The nearest parks are still outside the U District proper (Cowen/Ravenna to the north, Green Lake to the north west). The main "fun" advantages the U District has over some other places to live are coffeeshops (still not amazing compared with Capitol Hill/Ballard/Fremont, but Trabant and Cafe Allegro are good to work in, Herkimer if you go to the far north end) and the movie theaters (Sundance, Grand Illusion, Varsity, a couple others whose names I don't remember).

Just to let you guys know I don't go to UW. I was born in Seattle, grew up in HK, and went to middle and high school near Seattle and 50% of my friends went to UW for undergrad. I also did an internship during the summer at Seattle Children's Hospital which i rented a place at the border of wallingford and greenlake (near Ravenna bus stop).

U Distrct is definitely not a crappy place. When I was living in Seattle during the summer, I spent most of my time actually in U District. It's definitely a safe area. I walked all the way pass Roosevelt to 8th for my work shuttle in the morning. At night (pass 12am), you will need to be more careful, the area pass 47th and close to 50th (where safeway is) can be a little bit sketch but they have a really good restaurant there. Tbh you need to be careful anywhere in the U District pass midnight but that's like most university areas in the US. I would recommend living not live pass 47th (north), 7th (east) and pass campus parkway (south). I have a friend who lived in 47th, Roosevelt and I had no problem walking from there to the Ave at night to catch a bus.

Just like what other people say, there are "better place" that are cheaper, nicer and bigger all around U District. U District doesn't really fit the "grad school living style" that most people have. I can also tell you that it is populated by a bunch of undergraduates. But if you live the district, there's no reason not to live there!

I want to be close to campus. I'd consider UDistrict, but it seems like I might be happier somewhere more like Ravenna. I'm hoping there's more non-student-rented apartments (ie. ones not on a September lease schedule) further away from campus. 

PS. Best of luck in NYC! Let me know if you have any awesome tips about Seattle :)

Thanks! I actually might end up in Northwestern since I just got off wait list there :D

Again as i mentioned above, U District can be a fun area but there are a lot of other places that might fit your style and has a short commute time to UW campus. I honestly think Greenlake is a GREAT area, it is <10 minutes  bus commute to the campus. But you will have the BEAUTIFUL greenlake park, and all these fun and good burger, frozen yogurt places.

Good luck to everyone!!! Sorry for my English since it isn't my first language

PS: Remember to buy a windbreaker and bunch of vitamin D supplements :P

Everybody on craigslist seems to want a quiet vegetarian roommate. How do I get in contact with the Bud Light-drinking bros? That kind of crowd is in Capitol Hill and U District, right?

Im not a bud light kinda guy, but I am looking for some potential roommates in that area. The school I will be attending is in Capitol Hill, which I have learned is quite expensive. Where have you been looking?

Im not a bud light kinda guy, but I am looking for some potential roommates in that area. The school I will be attending is in Capitol Hill, which I have learned is quite expensive. Where have you been looking?

Mostly craigslist, but also uloop, zillow, and roomster. I'm not really a Bud Light guy either but I identify with that crowd a lot more than the "drink a glass of wine and be in bed by 10" crowd.

Guest Gnome Chomsky

Everyone is mentioning how there are places much cheaper than the U District, but I can't seem to agree. Maybe people know more than me, but I think I have a pretty good idea. I've been occasionally checking Craigslist for over a year now (since I was planning on applying last year) and U District always has the cheapest places. U District is the only place within Seattle limits where I've ever consistently found places for $500 or less. I also know a lot of undergrads who go to UW and live in the U District who pay $500 or less. Now, like people have mentioned, they might not be ideal living situations for a grad student. You might have to share a house with four other people. You might even have to sleep in the basement. But people are giving false information when they say there are places outside of the U District that are cheaper. There might be places that are more ideal outside of the U District, but if you just want something affordable and aren't too picky, then I haven't found any places cheaper than the U District. Now if I was a PhD student, sure, I'd want to find an affordable one-room apartment and I'd most likely find some place outside of the U District. But I'm just doing a one-year MS program and I honestly don't mind living with a bunch of undergrads. I have no kids, pets or family and I'm definitely not picky. I bunked under a tank tire for months in the military and slept in the rain. I really don't mind living with people. I've been living with an old man roommate who I rarely talk to for the past four years so living with young kids doesn't really bother me. 

Everyone is mentioning how there are places much cheaper than the U District, but I can't seem to agree. Maybe people know more than me, but I think I have a pretty good idea. I've been occasionally checking Craigslist for over a year now (since I was planning on applying last year) and U District always has the cheapest places. U District is the only place within Seattle limits where I've ever consistently found places for $500 or less. I also know a lot of undergrads who go to UW and live in the U District who pay $500 or less. Now, like people have mentioned, they might not be ideal living situations for a grad student. You might have to share a house with four other people. You might even have to sleep in the basement. But people are giving false information when they say there are places outside of the U District that are cheaper. There might be places that are more ideal outside of the U District, but if you just want something affordable and aren't too picky, then I haven't found any places cheaper than the U District. Now if I was a PhD student, sure, I'd want to find an affordable one-room apartment and I'd most likely find some place outside of the U District. But I'm just doing a one-year MS program and I honestly don't mind living with a bunch of undergrads. I have no kids, pets or family and I'm definitely not picky. I bunked under a tank tire for months in the military and slept in the rain. I really don't mind living with people. I've been living with an old man roommate who I rarely talk to for the past four years so living with young kids doesn't really bother me.

The closest places that you can rent are mostly apartments. I think u district totally fits what you are looking for! In other places you actually have to share a house with other people. I paid 500$ to my landlord for a room (it includes everything, but that's during summer). Although the apartments super close to the campus are pretty crappy IMO but you get the save money and be close!