Seattle, WA

Mostly craigslist, but also uloop, zillow, and roomster. I'm not really a Bud Light guy either but I identify with that crowd a lot more than the "drink a glass of wine and be in bed by 10" crowd.

Haha, ya I hear ya. Ya, I have been looking on Craigslist a lot. Its just kinda hard when its still 5 months out. PM me if your interested in chattin a bit. Idk why I didn't think to look on here for some roomies earlier. So thats an open invitation to anyone who reads this, feel free to contact me if you have a room available or a large house in mind. The green lake area would be cool, as I would like to be close to a good fishing hole.

Haha, ya I hear ya. Ya, I have been looking on Craigslist a lot. Its just kinda hard when its still 5 months out. PM me if your interested in chattin a bit. Idk why I didn't think to look on here for some roomies earlier. So thats an open invitation to anyone who reads this, feel free to contact me if you have a room available or a large house in mind. The green lake area would be cool, as I would like to be close to a good fishing hole.

I know someone that has a large house near green lake/Wallingford (5 minutes walk from the bus stop). They are all Asian americans (English is like their first language) and Christians so......lol but I paid 500$ that's including internet and everything......like bathroom paper towel......

Guest Gnome Chomsky

I know someone that has a large house near green lake/Wallingford (5 minutes walk from the bus stop). They are all Asian americans (English is like their first language) and Christians so......lol but I paid 500$ that's including internet and everything......like bathroom paper towel......

That's a nice area. I was staying in the hood off Aurora but I would walk over to Green Lake. It's a nice little loop around the lake, and Wallingford was on the other side. A bit too uppity for my tastes. I preferred the sketchy crowd on Aurora. But $500 for a neighborhood like Wallingford is a steal. I'd still prefer the U District though. There are a lot of affordable places in the U District (if you're not too high maintenance) but you probably have to put a down payment months in advance. 

• 1 month later...

Yea, anyone have an insight on living in West Seattle and potentially commute issues to UW? I will have a car, but would be willing to bus it if there if not much of a commute difference- I've heard I-5 is a pain. Are there other convenient routes? I really just want something affordable and found some decent options in WS.

• 8 months later...

I want to know if the weather/rain really is as bad as people day it is. I've only really ever lived in California (mostly southern CA, 4 years northern CA for undergrad + 1 semester in Sydney), so dealing with rain is somewhat foreign to me.

It seems silly (don't judge me) but how to dress in the rain is a concern of mine... Like, if I have to go somewhere in professional attire and it's raining - do I wear rain-resistant shoes and bring some more professional shoes with me to change into? I would wear rain boots sometimes in the Bay Area but I eventually stopped because I hate wearing rain boots and just dealt with ruining a pair of normal boots and the wet socks. 

Also, I was thinking of going up there toward the end of August/first week of September and staying with a friend of mine while looking for housing so I can check out places in person. Does that seem like a good idea or should I be looking for housing sooner rather than waiting until I'm actually in Seattle?

I want to know if the weather/rain really is as bad as people day it is. I've only really ever lived in California (mostly southern CA, 4 years northern CA for undergrad + 1 semester in Sydney), so dealing with rain is somewhat foreign to me.

It seems silly (don't judge me) but how to dress in the rain is a concern of mine... Like, if I have to go somewhere in professional attire and it's raining - do I wear rain-resistant shoes and bring some more professional shoes with me to change into? I would wear rain boots sometimes in the Bay Area but I eventually stopped because I hate wearing rain boots and just dealt with ruining a pair of normal boots and the wet socks. 

Also, I was thinking of going up there toward the end of August/first week of September and staying with a friend of mine while looking for housing so I can check out places in person. Does that seem like a good idea or should I be looking for housing sooner rather than waiting until I'm actually in Seattle?

1. No, see a number of my and others' posts in the first several pages of this thread. Washingtonians mostly say terrible things about the weather to scare off people thinking about relocating from Califronia ; ) But it does rain about 30% more than in the Bay area (http://www.usclimatedata.com/).

2. I never owned rain boots or a rain coat until moving to Boston (where it rains 30% more than Seattle on average and when it does rain is much heavier, see above link).

But if you were ruining boots in the Bay area, it probably won't be better for you in Seattle. November can be rough, but much of the rest of the year the precipitation mostly comes down as sprinkling or mist which isn't going to soak you (and often overnight when most people aren't out anyway).

3. I'd personally advocate going in person earlier. Seattle doesn't have the same September 1 housing rush as some college dominated cities, but it is still not the greatest time to be looking. Probably you don't want to wait until you arrive for classes to find a home, so maybe shoot for July. Alaska airlines frequently has fare sales with $90-110 round trips from Oakland/San Francisco to Seattle.

Edited by Usmivka

1. No, see a number of my and others' posts in the first several pages of this thread. Washingtonians mostly say terrible things about the weather to scare off people thinking about relocating from Califronia ; ) But it does rain about 30% more than in the Bay area (http://www.usclimatedata.com/).

2. I never owned rain boots or a rain coat until moving to Boston (where it rains 30% more than Seattle on average and when it does rain is much heavier, see above link).

But if you were ruining boots in the Bay area, it probably won't be better for you in Seattle. November can be rough, but much of the rest of the year the precipitation mostly comes down as sprinkling or mist which isn't going to soak you (and often overnight when most people aren't out anyway).

3. I'd personally advocate going in person earlier. Seattle doesn't have the same September 1 housing rush as some college dominated cities, but it is still not the greatest time to be looking. Probably you don't want to wait until you arrive for classes to find a home, so maybe shoot for July. Alaska airlines frequently has fare sales with $90-110 round trips from Oakland/San Francisco to Seattle.

Ahh thanks, Usmivka! I think the infrastructure where I was living in the Bay made it prone to lots of big puddles - hence the ruined boots and wet socks. So if it's mostly a light rain, then I guess it won't be too bad.

I won't be able to leave my job until the middle of August and I will be driving up from California, so unfortunately the earliest I can be up there is probably the end of August but hopefully I can make it work.

July? That's awfully early. I think classes start back up September 30th, even if one were to go there July 30th, that'd still be 2 months earlier. Could one get away with going mid-August?

Also I've been looking at craigslist ads and such to get a lay of the land, how advisable is it to find a place in Ravenna/Green Lake rather than looking towards Capitol Hill and Westlake? I have 0 experience with Seattle so I don't know if there's a ton of traffic to deal with when crossing Lake Union (I think that body of water is still considered Lake Union...).

I don't know what works for you, I just think there is less choice if trying to move in September. Leases tend to start on the first of the month, not the last, so unless you OK without a home lined up before classes start, Sept 1 (maybe Sept 15) is the relevant date. The neighborhood will really depend on your preferred mode of transit/travel time, cost restrictions, and preferred "vibe." If you are unsure of the lay of the land, it wouldn't be the worst idea to go early and stay in a sublet while you scope things out, or even stay in UW housing for a quarter. Where I live has a big impact on my sanity and quality of work--if you are the same, it is worth some extra time to make a careful decision. Feel free to message me if you don't find the below useful, and you'll hear differing opinions from others that reply I'm sure.

My feeling is that Westlake is pretty expensive, but most of the housing through there is brand new and advertised to techies working in South Lake Union (perhaps explaining the markup). That area didn't have much rental stock even a few years ago (mostly houseboats), so I'm not on top of it anymore. It could take 45 minutes or more by bus or car in rush hour because you have to go via Fremont and then cut East on one of only a couple main roads, or go around the other side and meet the 520 traffic in the Montlake cut. Capitol Hill had decent bus service (no idea what state it is in now, there were some pretty draconian cuts to public transit circa 2012) but you will deal with the Montlake bridge, which can be a pain during boating season (its a drawbridge and natural traffic constriction). Greenlake is far from the UW, but maybe a little shorter travel time than Westlake. Parts of Ravenna are closeish, an easy bike ride.  I've indicated this earlier but my preferred neighborhoods while working at the UW were Phinney Ridge, Fremont, and Ballard. I think Ballard near the main drag is on average more expensive now though.

While connected to Lake Union, the strip of water the bridges cross is the "ship canal," an artificial lock and ship ladder system built by the Army Corp of Engineers in ~1917.

July? That's awfully early. I think classes start back up September 30th, even if one were to go there July 30th, that'd still be 2 months earlier. Could one get away with going mid-August?

Also I've been looking at craigslist ads and such to get a lay of the land, how advisable is it to find a place in Ravenna/Green Lake rather than looking towards Capitol Hill and Westlake? I have 0 experience with Seattle so I don't know if there's a ton of traffic to deal with when crossing Lake Union (I think that body of water is still considered Lake Union...).

Most of the grad students that I know live either in Green Lake/ Phinney Ridge or Ravenna. Capital Hill is a great neighborhood, but pricey. South Lake Union has a lot of new apartments, but they are geared towards Amazon employees. My advice is to look at the bus routes connecting various neighborhoods to the UW and go from there (assuming you'll be taking public transit, as driving and parking are a pain in the ass in Seattle).  For future planning, the light rail system is being extended to connect to campus, which should open up in 2016 or so.

Most of the grad students that I know live either in Green Lake/ Phinney Ridge or Ravenna. Capital Hill is a great neighborhood, but pricey. South Lake Union has a lot of new apartments, but they are geared towards Amazon employees. My advice is to look at the bus routes connecting various neighborhoods to the UW and go from there (assuming you'll be taking public transit, as driving and parking are a pain in the ass in Seattle).  For future planning, the light rail system is being extended to connect to campus, which should open up in 2016 or so.

When you say "geared towards Amazon employees," does that mean in terms of rental price/location?

• 1 month later...

Hey guys!

What are your thoughts on Ravenna/Roosevelt and/or Greenlake areas? I'm looking for somewhere with plenty to do and some fellow grad students nearby, but also somewhere that would be safe to walk around at night (I have a dog I'll have to walk), and these seemed like good areas but it's hard to tell just from reading Internet reviews... I'm from across the country so any insight is helpful!

Hey guys!

What are your thoughts on Ravenna/Roosevelt and/or Greenlake areas? I'm looking for somewhere with plenty to do and some fellow grad students nearby, but also somewhere that would be safe to walk around at night (I have a dog I'll have to walk), and these seemed like good areas but it's hard to tell just from reading Internet reviews... I'm from across the country so any insight is helpful!

Seattle in general is awesome!!!!! Lived there and love it.

Greenlake is a great area, good for a dog, definitely! It is near school and you will find peers to hang out. A bit pricey but if you find a place that matches your budget, I would strongly recommend Greenlake.

I don't know what works for you, I just think there is less choice if trying to move in September. Leases tend to start on the first of the month, not the last, so unless you OK without a home lined up before classes start, Sept 1 (maybe Sept 15) is the relevant date. The neighborhood will really depend on your preferred mode of transit/travel time, cost restrictions, and preferred "vibe." If you are unsure of the lay of the land, it wouldn't be the worst idea to go early and stay in a sublet while you scope things out, or even stay in UW housing for a quarter. Where I live has a big impact on my sanity and quality of work--if you are the same, it is worth some extra time to make a careful decision. Feel free to message me if you don't find the below useful, and you'll hear differing opinions from others that reply I'm

I second this poster's recommendations: Fremont, Phinney Ridge and Ballard are also great options. I used to live in the north end of Ballard, pretty good neighborhood but quite long commute, though.

Thanks Crafter! I thought about Fremont and Ballard too but wasn't sure if it was too long of a commute. And I like the idea of having a park nearby for my dog :)

Depending where in Ballard you are, I think there is a bus to campus (I was working at Seattle Biomedical Research Institute, so my commute was from Ballard to South Lake Union. I have not much knowledge about getting to UW, except for the medical building around the corner of Seattle Biomed).

I also think that Fremont has a bus that goes around the U district, but as I said before, I am not sure.

You know what is useful? find prospective houses (or neigborhoods) and use google maps to find it, then search in "directions" and write University of Washington (or wherever you want to go) click the public transportation icon and it will offer the bus route you need to get there. That's the best way to find out if you will be renting a place far away from a bus stop or not, or if you have a direct route or will have to use more than one bus, and offers estimated time too. Pretty awesome.

And contratulations for getting into UW!!!! You will love Seattle.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi. I am choosing between UW, UT Austin, and Columbia. I have mostly eliminated Columbia for research-fit reasons, and I don't want to live in a cold place. Choosing between UW and UT, and it's extremely hard. I think that living conditions would be the primary deciding factor. Being international, I cannot visit. Can someone here possibly compare Seattle and Austin? 

Also, a number of my friends have been poking me about earthquakes in Seattle. Whats the reality? Is Seattle a disaster prone and unsafe city at the moment?

I've never been to Austin, so I'm sorry that I can't answer your other question very well, but I've lived in Seattle my whole life. It is true that the city is in an area that is statistically "due" for a large earthquake (it happens on average every 300 years, and it's been about 315 years since the last one), but in my time here, I've only ever been in one medium-sized earthquake. While it's smart to be prepared, I don't think Seattle is disaster-prone or unsafe. A lot of the buildings here, especially newer ones, are built with earthquakes in mind.

Hello everyone, I have mostly decided to join UW. Just a few questions before I finally make up my mind:

1. I have been offered a monthly stipend on $2250 pre-tax. Considering the cost of living, is this enough for a comfortable living?
  2. If I share an apartment with someone else (2 people in 2 bedroom apartment) - how much is it likely to cost me? 
  3. I fear that I may be underpaid since a few from CSE and EE reported higher stipends last year. If someone from CSE, EE, or other engineering departments are out there, can you please share your comments?

Most importantly, should I be worried for my safety, life, or livelihood due to the disaster prone nature of the city? UW is great and all, but I wouldn't want to put myself in a big danger. @Tigris any comments?

The cost of living in Seattle is definitely higher than average, but I think that $2250 should be enough to comfortably live on, if you are planning to share an apartment with someone else. When I lived near UW, I was paying $1200 a month for a one-bedroom, but I didn't share with anyone. There are definitely 2-bedrooms available for around $1800, especially north of campus, so I would estimate paying around $900 a month.

I might be biased because I've lived here for so long, but I really wouldn't worry too much about the earthquake danger. I would avoid living in any old brick buildings, but overall Seattle is built to withstand most earthquakes.  I don't want to say that there is no risk of damage from earthquakes, because that's definitely not true, but I feel perfectly safe living here and having an earthquake preparedness kit in my car. In the one earthquake I have been in here (6.8 magnitude), one person died, and it was from a heart attack.

Believe me, I completely know how you are feeling! It is a difficult decision to make, and it's good that you are considering these things. I might be moving to Miami to start grad school in the fall, and I'm a little worried not knowing what to expect about hurricanes!

Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll do my best to answer them. Congrats on your acceptances! :)