History of Art - MA/PhD 2009

sydney

Hey all,

Since I'm basically on TGC all the time at this point, I figured I should register and say hello/pull out what little hair I have with you. Going for my PhD, looking to specialize in contemporary art and new media. Interviewed with Berkeley and waiting to hear from the rest. Best of luck to you all! And not just to get in somewhere, but to survive what deceptively appears to be the shortest month of the year. Happy almost-February!

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks! I got an email from a prof from Wisconsin last night to let me know informally. The email made it sound like most acceptances hadn't gone out yet so I wouldn't worry if you haven't heard anything yet. I'm specializing in modern architecture. They are adding a new architecture concentration for next year so that could explain the early notification. The email also said that they have yet to make any funding decisions. I hope that you hear soon!

Well, I have a little hope left, then. I'm glad to hear that you're not in my exact area of specialization. Congratulations to you!

Hey all-I told myself that I wasn't going to post on the thread for fear that I might go completely insane, but now that it's almost Feb. I thought even if I do go crazy, the month is short and a non-leap year at that!

Congrats on the Wisconsin acceptance! Was thinking of applying there but I grew up in the midwest and was thinking of trying to live some place new.

And to the person who interviewed at Berkeley--

I wasn't aware that Berkeley conducted interviews? Is that common? I did meet in person and have a lengthy discussion with a potential advisor (in a different field) there before the application process started, but nothing since then. If you are comfortable talking about it, I'd be curious to know the things that you spoke about, but if not don't worry about it :)

Sure, no problem at all. I got an e-mail from someone on the admissions committee saying he wanted to speak to me about my application over the phone. He asked me a couple of questions about some points in my application (all of which were very specific to my app, so it doesn't seem as if he had any pre-established list of questions he was supposed to ask) and proceeded to talk to my about the program and how it might fit with my interests. He followed up with an e-mail a few days later saying the adcom had met to discuss my application and that he wanted to speak with me again to ask about a few even more specific points so that he could "write a letter on my behalf" (not sure if this is to the committee as a whole or to the Graduate School) and to talk about a burgeoning interdisciplinary research field at the school that might fit with my interests. In any event, I'm still awaiting the second call, but it's starting to look positive (although I don't want to get my hopes totally up).

Reading through last year's thread, it appears that the same thing happened to someone at the end of January as well. Given that so few of the people who applied to Berkeley last year were on this forum, it's tough to figure out whether these "interviews" are a normal part of the process or not. In any event, I hope both of our applications can get through, so best of luck! Until then, the sanity-crushing waiting continues...

thanks for that..I just found an FAQ on the website that I hadn't seen before that does say interviews are not routine but happen "often" when applicants are seriously being considered. So congrats to you! I did have lengthy discussions with a prof, actually, about my research interests and my potential fit back in October, so in any case I guess it either means I didn't get in or they don't need to talk to me again.

That supplemental application they made us fill out may have killed my chances. My transcript is not so straight forward--had some quarter grades and semester grades that I had to average together according to their formula which sunk my major GPA (from 3.7 to a 3.4 :oops: ) and my undergrad GPA isn't great to begin with, even though I have a pretty great MA and other research experience. I wondered in the back of my head if they used those supplemental apps to filter people out. Oh well! It's still too early to come to conclusions, really wanted to at least have the chance to go but at least Berkeley wasn't really at the top of my list anyway.

Keep us posted though. The interview looks like a really good sign! :)

EDIT: Ok. So, after going and checking the FAQs again and wondering why I hadn't seen them before, I realized the FAQ link on the graduate page led to a different site! The only reason I found it was through google, and it answered all the questions I was so confused about during the application. Luckily I realized that there was no space on the online application for my writing sample so I sent it into the department, but I still didn't submit my entire MA thesis, which they asked for (which I didn't know about!) arrrggg. so there you go! Had a huge note on it that it was a modification blah blah. Oh well.

And as February hits, the nerves really start working overtime. I'm somewhat glad that most of my work forces me to be on my laptop, so I can check my email inbox every 10 minutes or so.

Since I was rejected from both programs I applied to last year (yes, I only applied to two), I'm starting to feel really panicked that I won't be accepted to any of the programs again this year (I've applied to seven). I have not published anything, but since last year, I have quit my non-related job, had an internship at an art museum and started teaching art history courses at a prestigious college. My GRE scores are solid, my undergraduate grades lacking, but the grades from my Master's are stellar. Anyone want to give me some boost in confidence?

That, and if I get rejected from all seven this year, what should I do for the next year? I know I can continue teaching, but would you start visiting all of your schools? Get to know professors? Publish?

I keep convincing myself I am absolutely going to be rejected across the board, but then I read things like this and realize that, no matter how much I want this, being completely rejected may actually be a good thing in disguise:

http://chronicle.com/jobs/news/2009/01/2009013001c.htm

Ouch. I'm history, rather than art history, and this most recent editorial is definitely depressing. On the other hand, as someone who went directly on from undergrad to obtain one of those vaunted professional degrees, against which the average ph.d. is apparently at a serious disadvantage (according to the author), I can tell you that doing something you despise simply because it's more of a guaranteed job is not the way to achieve satisfaction in life. I'm sure he would probably tell me I'm making the biggest mistake of my life, but I'd rather do something I love for 7 years on a pittance, even if at the end of it all I'm forced to fall back on my old skillset, than continue on as is.

pregasauraus--

First, I think you are really brave to have a baby while applying to grad school--I'm scared to get married as it is before starting grad school let alone having a baby!

Anyway, this is my first time around, and my stats might be similar to yours--stellar MA, solid GRE, lackluster undergrad, no publications. But to be honest, each subfield is like a different world in itself. I have no idea what goes on outside of mine, to tell you the truth, but becuase I'm in a rather difficult one that requires a whole lot of training to do primary research I don't have any publications and I don't think many people do either. I'm not sure if publishing in a museum catalogue will necessarily better your chances (definitely wouldn't hurt)...it also really depends on the nature of the department, whether its research oriented (or are they all?) or museum oriented. Research experience is different from non-research related museum experience, and I think departments just really look to see whether you ahve a good grasp on the research-nature of your field, and have a solid idea of the kind of problems that you want to tackle. And also whether you have the experience and whether you are prepared to undertake the research. Anyway, you probably know all of that already.

Now that you are teaching, there will probably be lots of opportunities to present papers, to do your own research, and get better connected with professors.

I hope it helps. Good luck, and yes, Feb. has already started making me crazy too.

pregasauraus - fret not! :) i think for right now it is best to keep calm & positive. i am attempting this & have been telling myself that i have done everything i could possibly do. this is mostly to keep my sanity intact.

yes, and oh, I forgot to mention that now apps are in, don't worry! 7 schools is a lot. the karma may roll your way this year, so hang on for just a few weeks! If you've done everything you can at this point, just try to stay calm. Perhaps we can all go to sleep and wake up March 1st. Wouldn't that be nice?

yes, and oh, I forgot to mention that now apps are in, don't worry! 7 schools is a lot. the karma may roll your way this year, so hang on for just a few weeks! If you've done everything you can at this point, just try to stay calm. Perhaps we can all go to sleep and wake up March 1st. Wouldn't that be nice?

it is so hard to believe we only have a few weeks left...! eeeeeeeeeeeeekkk

mims - what's your subfield?

I'm an undergrad with another question... the last time I asked one (a few days ago) people seemed so helpful, so I hope someone will answer this as well, even though its indirectly a grad school question.

I know undergrads are supposed to do internships and I was wondering if anyone had suggestions about places in NYC. I know the obvious ones, like the met and moma (duh) but the chances of getting them are very low. Are there other museums that are "easier" to get? :shock:

Redpotato,

Does your school have an on campus gallery or museum? That is a really excellent way to get a foot into the door. Does your program or any of the faculty members have any kind of relationship with any museums or galleries? Also you could try lesser known museums and galleries in town.

Yes, and I work there - but its not much of a learning experience, in the way its run. I'm looking more for summer positions, i applied to the met, moma, guggenheim, and will submit the whitney application very soon, but I have my doubts about those. My profs are nice people, but have few, if any connections in nyc - even though my university isnt that far away. thats why i posted on this forum, thinking maybe someone had a wonderful opportunity at a little known place.

mims and sydney - thanks for weighing in and giving me a much needed pick-up. As far as having a baby and going for my PhD, I have the most supportive husband in mankind, and I don't think I could do it without him. At least, I couldn't do it with as little fear as I currently have.

mims, I understand what you were saying about research. My internship, while in a museum, didn't really reflect my interests from outside appearances (marketing). Still, I feel like I can defend that internship, and explain how it ties directly to my interests with institutional critique. Perhaps I should have defended it in my SOP, but I figured I'd save it for an interview, if necessary. Plus, my SOP deals more directly with my interest in teaching.

I do have another question - for those of you pursuing a PhD, is your ultimate aim to teach, write/research? A little of both? Something else? Just curious.

preg- I think if you can connect your museum internship with your research interests--or show what you learned from in and how you'll use that experience in your study would be perfect. which it sounds like you have done! maybe it'll just come down to the fit in the department.

I had a museum internship as an undergrad working in the department of rights and licensing. It was awfully uninteresting and aside from puttting it down on my cv there really wasn't a whole lot of detail I could go into on how it enriched my experience as an art historian (other than getting to know the database)

anyway, without going into too much detail I do East Asian stuff (not modern or contemporary), and I'm quite happy living under the false impression that there aren't too many of us around. Anyone else out there in the same area?

redpotato, i have often found that internships and opportunities come up through various "connections" one may have within the field. unless you have a direct line into some of the more prestigious internship programs--i have found that it is often a friend of a friend, a colleague's friend, etc. that can help you get your foot in the door. cast a wide net and let people know you are on the lookout. you may be surprised as to who can connect you with someone.

this is in large part because at the larger museums you were mentioning, the internship programs are vetted by human resources before they even make their way to curatorial or education departments for consideration. so knowing someone who can help you make contact with the people you would be working with (as opposed to HR) can help you get through the red tape. just some food for thought.

mims, i definitely share your hesitation to be too forthcoming with information about myself. i will say that my interest is primarily modern and contemporary art. i have been working within my field for the last two years, and (to answer pregasausaus's question) i am hoping to teach at the college level & continue to do scholarly research and writing.

none of my programs have begun notifying, so i fluctuate between feeling eerily calm and crying to my partner about being a failure. :shock:

it seems things should pick up soon...

and congrats to the recent acceptances! my fingers are crossed for all of us. :)

For the people who have been accepted, what were your GRE scores like? I will be applying this coming fall to some top tier programs and have built up a solid application, but I'm still a little worried about my scores. The first time i took it i got a measly 530V 410Q 4.5 analytical. After a year and a kaplan course later, i took them a second time and got a 610V 580Q and a 4 analytical. I know I have the time to take them again, but i'm not sure if it's worth it. I don't want the fact that I've taken them multiple times to hurt me.

I've e-mailed several programs as to whether they look at the best score, frown upon multiple attempts, or take the most recent, etc., but only 1 school ended up responding, unfortunately it was the vaguest answer. Any thoughts on the topic would be greatly appreciated!

Sydney,

You are one very helpful person! I took your advise and when I went to ask my prof for a recommendation, I asked if he knew anywhere else to apply (hint hint, connections, please) and sure enough he emailed someone he knows who replied that I should get in touch with them. :D I'd rather work at a major museum, so I'm going to submit a few more apps, but this is a great lead for me. :wink:

Hi Preg,

Thanks, the Wisconsin acceptance was mine. :) I received the unofficial letter from the department on Monday in the mail, which wasn't so long ago so maybe you have one too..? What area are you specializing in again?

Hi Preg,

Thanks, the Wisconsin acceptance was mine. :) I received the unofficial letter from the department on Monday in the mail, which wasn't so long ago so maybe you have one too..? What area are you specializing in again?

Congratulations again, Void! I specialize in contemporary art museum practices and institutional critique artists. While I don't trust the mail in my city, I am beginning to doubt that I got in. Can you tell me, does the website reflect your acceptance, too? Mine still lists my materials as under consideration.

What's your area of specialization?