History of Art - MA/PhD 2009

sydney

Has anyone had any communication with Yale, though? I believe they traditionally make their acceptance calls the week after the CAA conference--which is this coming weekend--so I'm banking that any good news from them will probably arrive next week (not that I'm actually banking on anything with Yale, as the competition for spots is ridiculously intense...).

It looks like historically Yale accepts via phone during the last week of February, and sends rejections the week after via email. I hope you get a phone call soon!

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Omigosh, there is a phone call acceptance from Yale over in the results page...

This makes me nervous. I didn't even apply there, but I was waiting until after CAA to get all worked up about my schools, some of which are comparable in caliber to Yale.

Incidentally, I visited Yale in the fall and had a very discomfiting and confrontational little meeting with my would-be advisor. It was definitely a personality thing and should in no way reflect the general atmosphere there, which I'm sure is lovely. There was just a palpable air of ... well ... mutual hate is perhaps a bit harsh, but there you have it. Good luck to all you Yale hopefuls, and if you have idle art history chatter to share, please do so here, since I check this forum entirely too often.

Would you mind sharing which would-be advisor you spoke with?

I wish I could, but I'm a giant wuss. I'm afraid of being that cautionary tale told by future gradcafe baristas in threads with titles like "I TRASHED A RESPECTED PROF. ONLINE -- AM I ACADEMICALLY AND PROFESSIONALLY SCREWED?????"

pgw - looking at last year's results, there were a couple of email/phone call acceptances from Harvard on Feb 26 & 28. Last year, those dates were on Tuesday and Thursday of the last week of February. Draw your own conclusions there. It is worth noting, however, that CAA last year was earlier (Feb. 20 - 23, whereas this year it's Feb. 25 - 28) --which may push such a schedule into next week (assuming that they operate on a similar schedule year in, year out).

I'm obsessing a little. It's helping me not write the third chapter of my thesis.

To the lucky one(s) with the Yale acceptances (I wonder if the phone and email acceptances posted today were the same person?):

First, congrats! If you don't mind me asking a few questions, did your potential advisor call you, or the graduate director? And did he or she provide any information about the admissions statistics (how many applicants, how many accepted, etc.)?

I wonder if we might see a few more phone calls roll in this week....I'm attempting to maintain some degree of optimism at this point!

Hey Ich,

I was one of the Yale acceptances (please don't throw things at me...) the one contacted by email. So, no we are not the same person, but I'm curious to know who the phone acceptance was.

I got an email from the DGS, who incidently is not my potential advisor, and was probably contacted through email becuase I've been out of the country for the past while. There was no mention of admission statistics though, or how many people they accepted, just of the funding offer and prosepctive student weekend in April.

I'm not sure how they notify people, the email that i received was definitely an unofficial accpetance, which means some phone calls just might not have been made quite yet, but I'm not sure at all!

Sorry not to be more helpful!

There is another thread on the forum somewhere, something with the title "is it OK to hate people who have been accepted?" i voted an emphatic yes.

*runs and hides*

Congratulations, mims! You shouldn't hide at all...one of the ridiculous things about academia is that it somehow trains us to be embarrassed of our accomplishments even as it always demands more and more from each of us. So good for you, and say it loud and proud: YOU GOT IN!!!!!! FREAKING AWESOME!

I'm curious: what's your area? You don't have to spill, obviously, and I have no personal stake since I didn't apply. Just wondering!

Heh, thanks x78s! I'm in East Asia by the way, so there are usually less applicants in the field to being with. I heard once from a prof. on an adcom at a top 10 school that usually over half of all applicants are modern/contemporary, and if 100 people applied, less then 10 would be East Asia. But hey, I'm not complaining in the least!

Is anyone else still waiting to hear back from anywhere? It still seems like there is a bit of a way to go :)

Congrats, mims!!! Seriously, no reason to hide: you are the man/woman for being baller enough to get a Yale acceptance. I'm definitely one of the 1000000000000007 modern/contemporary folks, so I understand the high stakes. Nonetheless, awesome for you having made it in. If you've received awesome acceptance packages elsewhere, I don't envy the decision!

I'm also modern/contemporary, and I've definitely heard that little nugget about the glut of mod/com applicants before...

Which is why I balanced my hardly-any-chance schools with a couple of you're-soooo-in schools. With one acceptance from the latter in my pocket, it's a bit less life-or-death.

Oh who the hell am I kidding, I REALLY want to go to Harvard.

Congrats, mims!!! Seriously, no reason to hide: you are the man/woman for being baller enough to get a Yale acceptance.

Thanks guys for the congrats!! haha I'm a woman by the way.

It looks like there was another Yale acceptance though, so congratualions to that person too. I wonder who it is...

Actually I'm lucky to have received a few offers (take that berkeley. :mrgreen: ) So I do have a difficult decision that I have no idea how I'm going to make. I didn't apply to Harvard and I'm actually relieved I don't have to wait for their reply, good luck to all the Harvard hopefuls. I did my undergrad in Boston, and Harvard Square and Cambridge is a great place to be. If anyone gets accepted you can say in your most uppity upper class kind of way "why yes, I did get into Haaavaaad."

I just went through the rejection wringer last year, and I have worked so hard since then to make sure I would have some great experience and an even better application package for this year. I'm starting to realize that I could be rejected from all the schools again this year, and it's going to be really hard to take if that's the case. That doesn't stop me from being thrilled for those of you who have been accepted somewhere.

Preg- hang in there, we are all rooting for you. There are still lots of decisions to be made, art history seems rather slow in getting them out. What area are you in? And remember, I'm sure this is something that you know, there are so many factors beyond anyone's control about being accepted...I think I was lucky, espeically in the case of Yale becuase prof. who I want to work with has not had any students for the past few years, and it was just their turn to get one. It's all political I think, not that comforting I know, but I really hope it works out for you this year.

Don't worry, mims--I don't hate you. Envy you, yes, but I don't hate you!

This is the second time I've applied to Yale, actually, and I've known the professor I'd hope to work with there for several years. The last time I applied, three years ago, I was among the last to be cut from the pool, and I know I am even more qualified this time around. You're right--so much of it comes down to politics. I happen to work on a field that Yale is known for, but in the wider art historical community is rather "unfashionable," so even if you've got someone rooting for you on an admissions committee, there's no guarantee. It's just a crapshoot, really. I've got an awesome potential job on the horizon, anyway, so if I don't get in to Yale, I'll be disappointed but not be completely heartbroken. And I've got CUNY to hear from later this spring, so I'm sure it will work out for the best!

Now, who are the other two Yale acceptances who posted yesterday and today?

P.S. Just read my last post, and I wanted to be clear about what I wrote. Even though politics can influence a committee's ultimate decisions, anyone who gets an offer from Yale is obviously a superstar, so congratulations to mims and the other two who've been accepted!

Preg- hang in there, we are all rooting for you. There are still lots of decisions to be made, art history seems rather slow in getting them out. What area are you in? And remember, I'm sure this is something that you know, there are so many factors beyond anyone's control about being accepted...I think I was lucky, espeically in the case of Yale becuase prof. who I want to work with has not had any students for the past few years, and it was just their turn to get one. It's all political I think, not that comforting I know, but I really hope it works out for you this year.

Thanks, mims. I am really happy for you and all the others who have gotten accepted this year. I received another rejection letter this week (the same day I hit my 3rd trimester), after which I asked for some feedback on the reason for my rejection. A professor from that school who I have been in touch with over the last 2 years wrote me back with fantastic information. I feel really lucky to have feedback like that about my application, all of which made a lot of sense. If this isn't the year for me (again), I know I'll give it another shot next year.

Well, looks like Yale sent out all of its rejections today. I'm feeling surprisingly calm about it, though I'm definitely not liking my odds at this point (I only applied to 4 programs and this rejection is the only decision I've received thusfar. While I'm assuming I'll only get into one program, if even, I was hoping I'd get the acceptance first to soften the blow, especially since NYU IFA is notoriously late in sending out decisions.) Are any of the Yale acceptances here modern/contemporary perchance? If so, just out of curiosity, what's your area?

Well, looks like Yale sent out all of its rejections today. I'm feeling surprisingly calm about it, though I'm definitely not liking my odds at this point (I only applied to 4 programs and this rejection is the only decision I've received thusfar. While I'm assuming I'll only get into one program, if even, I was hoping I'd get the acceptance first to soften the blow, especially since NYU IFA is notoriously late in sending out decisions.) Are any of the Yale acceptances here modern/contemporary perchance? If so, just out of curiosity, what's your area?

Did you apply to the MA or the PhD at the IFA? I think they tend to send out the PhD decisions before the MAs.

Wait, okay now I'm confused. I've gotten neither an acceptance nor a rejection e-mail from Yale. Did they direct you to the application site? My status is still the same: completed. And I'd totally just resigned myself to not being admitted...gah, the drama continues.

I got an email directing me to the Yale applyyourself site (based on the results that have been posted today, this seems to be what everyone got.) The decision link is at the bottom of the home page underneath the part where they list your application materials received and so on. If you didn't receive a rejection email, it might mean you're in or waitlisted, because it seems like Yale sent out a mass rejection today. If you don't hear anything by tomorrow, maybe call and ask?

What do you think the likelihood is of getting into a school that has excluded me from recruit weekends? Is it still possible to be accepted, even if they haven't called to show any interest yet? (For example, U of Michigan has apparently already invited a few students to visit, as has Duke).

I'm not feeling too confident at the moment, especially after today's Yale debacle.

Kinda surprised by the JHU acceptance myself ... thought they would notify in Mid-March as well -- considering JHU Art History application deadline was 1/15 ... may the admit submit some more details (i.e. -- what art area specialization?, advisor?, etc.) ... thanks!