History of Art - MA/PhD 2009

sydney

Thank you preg! The website does actually show that the department has recommended me for admission, but nothing has been finalized with the school. I am specializing in gender and sexuality in 19th and 20th century American and European art.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey mims, thanks, I got the e-mail from Berkeley a few days ago. No info about how many applied/were accepted, funding, or...anything else all that useful minus info about the admitted students weekend.

Also just got the Columbia e-mail yesterday with a phone conversation scheduled for later this afternoon. I don't want to put too much out into cyberspace, but I'm in modern/contemporary (didn't they say in previous years that Columbia notifies by field versus as a whole?).

Guess they're finally starting to roll in now! Has anyone heard anything from Chicago yet? Usually someone's had an interview and/or acceptance by this point...

Guess they're finally starting to roll in now! Has anyone heard anything from Chicago yet? Usually someone's had an interview and/or acceptance by this point...

pgw, congrats on all the positive results so far. If I don't get in anywhere this year, I'm going to have to ask you for advice ;)

I haven't heard a peep from Chicago yet, but I haven't heard a word from anywhere I applied to, so I'm not terribly surprised.

Hello everyone - I've been lurking around this site for a few weeks now, but this is my first post.

I posted the Penn acceptance, and my field is Northern Renaissance/Baroque. This was one of my top choices, so I am seriously on cloud 9 right now. I feel like they made a mistake!

To the Princeton person: do you know if they will be notifying others soon?

Thanks! Dreams do come true for those with not-so-great GRE scores. In your face, ETS!

I don't think they'll send out letters/mass emails for a little bit. Actually, I don't even know what their usual means of notification is. The website doesn't seem to mention that.

The professor I've been in contact with emailed me and said he would call me soon with the "official" acceptance after it goes through the Graduate Dean. He just wanted to give me a heads up.

Congrats to those of you accepted today! I must say that it's a little scary to hear about people notified of acceptances from 3 of the schools I've applied to, yet I haven't heard a word. Well, I guess there's still hope, right? :( Anyone else in the same position as me?

Congrats to those of you accepted today! I must say that it's a little scary to hear about people notified of acceptances from 3 of the schools I've applied to, yet I haven't heard a word. Well, I guess there's still hope, right? :( Anyone else in the same position as me?

I am -- applied to both Columbia and Princeton and haven't heard a word from either. I was more or less calm/prepared to wait until mid-March to hear back/knew it was out of my control and that there was no point freaking out about when the decisions would come in...until I saw results from two of my programs. The idea that decisions have been made and that I still don't know is completely nerve wracking. I'm hoping that the people who posted acceptances were all "superstar" applicants and that they're still looking through the maybe pile to make final decisions, although at this point I'm preparing myself for rejection.

mm_donuts, congrats!!! If you don't mind my asking, what do you consider "not-so-great" GRE scores?

570V, 660Q, 4.5AW

I've never been a great standardized test taker, so I didn't bother wasting time and money re-taking it. My undergrad professors told me not to worry about it since the rest of my "package" was strong and those tests don't mean much for art history. They said my time would be better spent preparing my personal statement, etc.

I thought the scores would put me out of the running for competitive fellowships, but I just found out that I was nominated for one at Rutgers.

Same here mm_donuts. My scores were like yours, but instead of wasting hundreds of dollars on test prep BS, I just poured my all into my SOPs and the writing sample. That and the fact that I'm coming in a fairly less represented field (or perhaps angle within a field) seemed to have helped. But yeah, it *is* nice to be able to stick it to ETS, haha. I hate standardized testing so much.

Congrats for all the acceptances, everyone! And pregasaurus, hang in there. We still have a ways to go. Any guesses as to what's coming next week? I'm thinking the fruits from Yale and Harvard might finally start falling. Maybe.

Congrats for all the acceptances, everyone! And pregasaurus, hang in there. We still have a ways to go.

Thanks, pgw. I just went through the rejection wringer last year, and I have worked so hard since then to make sure I would have some great experience and an even better application package for this year. I'm starting to realize that I could be rejected from all the schools again this year, and it's going to be really hard to take if that's the case. That doesn't stop me from being thrilled for those of you who have been accepted somewhere.

Hey all,

I too have been skulking around this page for a while, watching the results trickle in and haven't posted before today. I've had offers from Columbia and Stanford and am still completely undecided about which one to take. My field is African (modern and contemporary). If anyone has any suggestions/experience regarding either, I'd be very happy to hear it! In both places there is a Professor I would love to work with and resources (archives etc) that are particularly relevant to my study. I'm a little nervous about being a student in NYC...but then Palo Alto is a long way from home (England).

Anyway, good luck to all and congratulations on the acceptances.

Hi everyone,

Just spoke to my parents last night. Apparently, they have received a letter from Cornell, but they didn't open it. They're waiting for me to do it. My parents' house is my permanent address and the one on the application. But I'm at school now and it's driving me crazy! Did anyone else get a notification through snail mail? From previous years, it seems accepted students get a personal phone call/email, none of which I have received, and rejections have gone through postal service. I'm very nervous as Cornell's my top choice. So I called the department and left a message. No one has called me back yet. Ughh...I'm totally freaking myself out.

I've had offers from Columbia and Stanford and am still completely undecided about which one to take. My field is African (modern and contemporary). If anyone has any suggestions/experience regarding either, I'd be very happy to hear it! In both places there is a Professor I would love to work with and resources (archives etc) that are particularly relevant to my study. I'm a little nervous about being a student in NYC...but then Palo Alto is a long way from home (England).

Kate_ellen, if both programs seems equally satisfying to you in regards to resources and faculty (and financial packages), then I think you should make a decision based on where you want to live. You're looking at spending years in one of these locations. Have you visited both campuses? And congratulations to you for being in the position to have to make this decision!

Hi, all-

I've been checking the results page for the past few weeks, but this is my first post. I only applied to two programs this year: Yale and CUNY. I know that CUNY reads applications later than most schools, so I don't expect to hear anything from them before the end of March or even April. Has anyone had any communication with Yale, though? I believe they traditionally make their acceptance calls the week after the CAA conference--which is this coming weekend--so I'm banking that any good news from them will probably arrive next week (not that I'm actually banking on anything with Yale, as the competition for spots is ridiculously intense...).

Congrats to those who have received acceptances already!