Computer Science applicants, where are you?!

husky07

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i asked this elsewhere but no one answered. anyone have any clues?:

what i want to know is... so many schools made their offers in january and the first few days of february this year. only jhu and penn are lagging behind (from the schools i'm tracking). anyone know why they started so early? last year cmu made offers mid february and now it looks like they were making offers in january.

this is what i just read somewhere:

Some departments won't make their final decisions until very late in the game, sometimes as late as when the NSF awards have been announced (usually around April 1). Only when they make their final decisions will most departments process the rejections. So not hearing from a department by mid-March doesn't mean that you've been rejected, but it's not exactly a "no news is good news" situation.

i guess that's why so many programs don't send out rejections right away.

if you get rejected from a department but win an nsf, will they take you?

> if you get rejected from a department but win an nsf, will they take you?

I think some certainly will as you're essentially free (or, at least the cost of taking you in is much less than it would for a student with no external funding.) However, my advisor had a full ride via a NSF grant that he won, but MIT still rejected him.

Thanks for sharing that csApplicant.. That makes me feel a bit better! I really do hope that if I am not getting accepted outright, that schools are waiting to see if I get a fellowship. Although they could just accept me and not offer funding to me, so I am not sure what to think. If they are waiting to hear about my Hertz prospects then I have a little bit of chance of nabbing an NDSEG or NSF too I guess.

qpd: The NSF doesn't represent nearly as good of a deal to the school as a NDSEG or Hertz. The latter two fellowships pay full tuition to the school while the NSF only pays $10,500 for the year and the school has to eat the rest. Most of these schools cost $40,000-50,000 per year (summer included) so the NSF would only be paying a fraction of that.

i just got an acceptance from a school everyone had seemed to already have heard from (a good one that i am happy about!!!). with aid, obviously.

the only reason why i am posting this is to remind those feeling down that it's not over until the reject letter comes in.

good luck!

WHERE is not important. ;)

the point is that succumbing to despair so early will make one miserable. it just takes one accept to change everything and it's too early to tell what's going to happen.

by the way, i'm not sure why everyone's freaking out about hearing from MIT. we all pretty much know it's a rejection, so i've realized there's no point in getting anxious. this one is a no-brainer for me.

of course, let me add, that i will probably oscillate between being super cool about it and then freaking out... i think mit should sent out reject letters to everyone and then do a backwards admit for the 1-3 people in each specialty ;) everyone should expect to get rejected from mit. :D

i was JUST coming here to ask that. what's up with penn. anyone?

strangely quiet over there. i think it's bad news, however, to not have gotten an interview.

i'm not sure i'd want to go to penn. i'd like to be accepted, but that area doesn't particularly appeal to me.

WHERE is not important. ;)

the point is that succumbing to despair so early will make one miserable. it just takes one accept to change everything and it's too early to tell what's going to happen.

by the way, i'm not sure why everyone's freaking out about hearing from MIT. we all pretty much know it's a rejection, so i've realized there's no point in getting anxious. this one is a no-brainer for me.

of course, let me add, that i will probably oscillate between being super cool about it and then freaking out... i think mit should sent out reject letters to everyone and then do a backwards admit for the 1-3 people in each specialty ;) everyone should expect to get rejected from mit. :D

Thank you for the hope, csApplicant. I am among many who could use it right now. And yes, my MIT rejection didn't even phase me, maybe since I'm used to the feeling from when I applied there for undergrad :D I'm trying to wait for all the chips to fall before getting seriously bummed out, with some success.

:( this is ridiculous, why do that?! it's 2009!!! it really sucks for us international students.

Amen. Especially here in a third world country where getting mail to arrive at a prompt date is a worse gamble than playing blackjack. :cry: