Computer Science applicants, where are you?!

husky07

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so coooooooooool! guys!

I didn't hear anything from Berkeley, which means I'm very unlikely....

By the way,...

michigantrumpet, I would say you are "the 2009 com arch applicant of the year".

PCP, you "the 2009 theory applicant of the year". :D

Haha, no. I would say the real "applicants of the year" don't waste their time on gradcafe :lol:

I'm actually systems software and hardware-software interaction, but I got lumped with architecture at most schools. It tends to be arch profs doing the research that interests me.

Haha, no. I would say the real "applicants of the year" don't waste their time on gradcafe :lol:

michigantrumpet you are as real as it gets! When EE guys reported admits at UCB few days back, the only thing that comforted me into waiting for Berkeley CS results was that you too hadn't heard from them till that time :)

Congrats to all of you who have received acceptances!!!

I am applying to MIT, CMU, UIUC, UWisc, UMD, JHU, Michigan for PhD in computer vision. I haven't heard from any uni yet :(. I think my chance for UIUC and Michigan is quite low now as many people have received admissions from these 2.

Btw, here's my profile

Undergraduate: Australia.

Master: from the same uni in Australia (started in March 2008).

Research Exp: 2 years experience.

Publications: 1 CVPR, 1 ICIP, 3 regional conferences (2 best paper awards), 1 IEEE Trans submitted.

GRE: 1170 (Q:780, V: 390 what a shame!!!). TOEFL: NA

My top choice is Stanford and I visited them in November and had a chat with one of the profs that I am interested to work for and the admissions director and got some positive feedback. Also had my application reviewed by an alumni who was a part of the CS admissions committee. I am really scared about it though as I was rejected last year and am reapplying this year. Anyone heard anything from Stanford EE. I believe there is one applicant who got an interview e-mail. If you are on these forums, would you care to share the area of specialization?

Also michigantrumpet, it seems like you are at Ann Arbor. What is your take on the school? What are some of the drawbacks and benefits of pursuing a graduate education at Michigan?

If I make it to Stanford, it would most likely be a decision between the two. Keeping my fingers crossed at this point of time!!!!

Congrats to all of you who have received acceptances!!!

I am applying to MIT, CMU, UIUC, UMD, UWisc, UMD, JHU, Michigan for PhD in computer vision. I haven't heard from any uni yet :(. I think my chance for UIUC and Michigan is quite low now as many people have received admissions from these 2.

Btw, here's my profile

Undergraduate: Australia.

Master: from the same uni in Australia (started in March 2008).

Research Exp: 2 years experience.

Publications: 1 CVPR, 1 ICIP, 3 regional conferences (2 best paper awards), 1 IEEE Trans submitted.

GRE: 1170 (Q:780, V: 390 what a shame!!!). TOEFL: NA

I'm applying for cv too and have not heard anything either.

My profile could be much better but can't do anything about it now;PP

Graduating in 2009 with an undergraduate degree (without masters) from CUNY:CCNY, double major in CS and math, gpa 3.5 overall (~3.8 in cs). GRE: 440V (I am not a native speaker - came to usa in summer of 2002 so my vocabulary sucks;P), 750M, 4.5 AWA. No publications yet (only listed in acknowledgment section in one paper) but few research projects (REU at another univ., work with mentor at my school (funded by graduate fellowship at my school as a preparation for a career in research/college teaching), in total ~2 yrs of research experience), one may result in a paper this year.

I applied to 15 PhD programs (perhaps 16 but some documents are still missing for one school) and 1 masters. So far accepted to the masters program, and rejected to one Phd program. Hopefully I will get in somewhere - it would really suck to get 15 rejections :D

Wow,... Really many Computer Vision people around here...tedjj , aries , octav1an, (and me)...

Unfortunately, these days the competition is so tough that applicants with CVPR or ICCV papers are so common.

(Not actually common, but far exceed computer vision slots.)

Did you guys apply to CMU Robotics? The Robotics Institute has a lot of CV openings (more than 5) compared to other schools (1~3). (ex. it looks like this year CMU CSD offers only two CV admissions)

I hope everybody hears a good news.

By the way, UW-seattle looks like already complete their list of admitted students. Two guys got phone calls and one guy got email. I guess all of them were from professors, so hopefully, the "official" notification is not yet made. UW-seattle is one of my top choices !!! :-)

No, aries.

I already left Pittsburgh a year ago, and PhD students don't participate in any admission process. (If so, I would have asked my friends...)

I think it will be very soon (maybe next week).

In general, accepted students will get phone call or email from faculty members before the package is arrived.

(It looks like the department allocates a couple of accepted students to each faculty to let them know.)

If you are outside US, it would be an email.

Good luck to your application !

I didn't apply to CMU - I got tired (and ran out of money;p ) after working on my 16 applications. My top choice is UMich so I've been really nervous this week hoping to receive a decision but no decision came ugg:P I hate weekends:D

I applied to Seattle too. I emailed them last week (4 days ago) to update my fall 2008 grades and to send scanned transcript. They said they are nearing the end of application process. I guess the decision for my app was not made then (I don't see a reason why they would waste their time to update the info if I was already rejected). It is possible that they finalized their decisions since that time since some people got accepted already.

Hi,

To the guy who posted in the results section about the phone call from Stanford: Can you elaborate further? Was it an interview or just a congratulatory phone call? In what area in CS did you apply?

Stanford University Computer Science, PhD Accepted via Phone on 7 Feb 2009 U 7 Feb 2009 Got a phone from a Professor.. This is it!

From the above it seems his/her admission was personally conveyed by a Professor...