Computer Science applicants, where are you?!

husky07

hehe, I am hoping to focus on HCI as well, have you been looking at potential advisors? I agree with you on waterloo, I wanted to apply there because the school is really good, but the weather turned me off.

Nope, I haven't really looked at potential advisors yet, other than having browsed through a few faculty websites. I will though, if I get in :D

I guess this makes us competitors for the (assumed) few HCI spots! :lol:

I really do wonder how many MS HCI applicants there are at UBC.. I've always thought of HCI as sort of a niche area of focus.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MaximKat and Vidman, could you please share your stats with us?

BS and MS (graduating this year, GPA 5/5) in applied math from Kyiv National Taras Shevchenko Univ, Ukraine

GRE 600V(pure luck :roll:)/800Q/3.5AW, GRE Subj CS 840, TOEFL 111=L30/R30/S24/W27

3 LORs: from my research advisor, from subdepartment head and from professor who trained me for international math olymp while in high school. I know that all of them are highly positive, but I am not sure how valuable letters from foreign professors, none of whom is known to admission committee, are.

2 papers in Ukrainian journals

I have applied for PhD to 13 universities, UIUC is the only to respond till now

MaximKat and Vidman, could you please share your stats with us?

I am a computer science/chemical engineering double major at a top 10 public university for chemical engineering.

GPA: 3.8

GRE: 560V/780Q/4.5W

1.5 Years undergrad research in an engineering lab

1 engineering research paper, 3rd author

3 LOR, one from undergrad research adviser(in engineering), one from engineering professor, one from computer science professor

I am applying to both computer science and chemical engineering programs.

So far I am into:

UIUC PhD Computer Science

UMinnesota PhD Chemical Engineering

well, I don't think getting your last letters around the beginning of March is such a big deal. You won't be making a decision until April anyway (unless you cram in all the visits early)... I sent in my decision on the 7th last year, and by then had plenty of time to weigh all the options :)

Congratulations to all guys who've got accepted !!

To michigantrumpet :

I've got admission from CMU CSD yesterday, too.

Very glad to see someone in the same boat !

Do you plan to go to the Open House?

My area is computer vision, machine learning, and data mining.

I was a MS student of CMU for two years, so I'm very well aware of almost everything... :D

I was told that this year they've got much more applications.... Congrat again to win a very tough competition !!

To longhorn:

Thank you!

I have no idea (because I already left Pittsburgh one year ago :D )...

But I don't think so.

I guess this year CSD decision is so fast given their patterns for last several years.

I know it's really annoying to wait for the result but you may need to allow them a few more weeks.

Good luck to your application!

leogk & michigantrumpet, congrats!

@ leogk & michigantrumpet: could you please share your stats with us?

@ leogk, michigantrumpet, MaximKat and Vidman: did you guys contact potential advisors at the schools you got into? if so, did you contact him/her before or after submitting the application?

@ leogk & michigantrumpet: could you please share your stats with us?

Q: 790, V: 690, AW: 4.0, CS: 790/900 (75th %)

Top 10 undergrad program (dual-degree music/engr BMus and BSE); GPA: 3.83

LOR: 2 research advisors (~1 year of research for them), 1 instructor (course with major term project)

Pubs: 1 top conference (3rd author), 1 minor poster session

@ leogk, michigantrumpet, MaximKat and Vidman: did you guys contact potential advisors at the schools you got into? if so, did you contact him/her before or after submitting the application?

Did not contact anyone myself. However, one of my research advisors did speak to a couple of professors on my behalf (without me asking him to!).

Well...

After first MS degree in Korea, 5 year work at National Lab in Korea + 2 year MS at CMU (back to academia and change my field from ME to CS :D ) + 1 year work (Intel+Honda+MIT) + about to start PhD (I hope to finish it within 3~4 yr).

I know it was a long and winding road... :)

Congrats leogk and michigantrumpet... though I worry this means I didn't get into CSD at CMU since I haven't heard anything.

In response to husky's question, I also applied to the Robotics Institute at CMU but also haven't heard any news yet.

Congrats leogk and michigantrumpet... though I worry this means I didn't get into CSD at CMU since I haven't heard anything.

In response to husky's question, I also applied to the Robotics Institute at CMU but also haven't heard any news yet.

Ditto. I also applied to Machine Learning, so here's hoping that one comes through.

It's definitely not over yet. From the acceptance e-mail: "(If you have applied to more than one program within the School of Computer Science, their decisions may still be pending.)"

I'm not sure who posted that all the CSD decisions have been made, either. Care to share where you got that?

Well...

After first MS degree in Korea, 5 year work at National Lab in Korea + 2 year MS at CMU (back to academia and change my field from ME to CS :D ) + 1 year work (Intel+Honda+MIT) + about to start PhD (I hope to finish it within 3~4 yr).

I know it was a long and winding road... :)

You are definitely an inspiration for me :) I have been working for 3 years after my undergraduate degree, did my MS from UT Austin, working for the last 8 months, *hoping* to get into a good school for PhD.

It's definitely not over yet. From the acceptance e-mail: "(If you have applied to more than one program within the School of Computer Science, their decisions may still be pending.)"

I'm not sure who posted that all the CSD decisions have been made, either. Care to share where you got that?

@michigantrumpet, I have heard of similar things from my friends. If you look at the results search at gradcafe, the trend seems to be that all admit postings have been on one or two specific dates. After that, it has been rejects. :(

For the past few years, the admit decisions were always in the first two weeks of Feb (usually around Feb 10-15).

But this year people are starting to get admission at the end of January. Isn't this odd to anyone? And so far only 3 people are reporting admissions. There must be more to come on later dates... (I hope they are admitting in rounds this year.)

Yes, my point was that programs other than CSD PhD have NOT necessarily started admitting yet. The CSD open house for admitted students is at the end of Feb, which explains the early timeline this year. They said we had to book flights by Feb 5.