Computer Science applicants, where are you?!

husky07

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CalTech has sent an invitation to vist them in mid-Feb. Why do they even send them to international applicants? There is no way one would get a visa in 2 weeks :) They are covering all expenses, which makes it even worse :)

I hate phone conversations :evil: Phone interview in a foreign language will be the worst phone conversation ever. Btw, any good topic on phone interviews here?

I haven't gotten anything from CalTech yet... was that from a professor or the admissions people?

As far as inviting international students, the US doesn't require visas for travel (long-term is obviously a different story) from a whole list of countries (i.e., western Europe). If you happen to be coming from one of these countries and they're paying your expenses, why not? Sounds like that isn't the case here, though.

Best of luck on the interview!

It's definitely not over yet. From the acceptance e-mail: "(If you have applied to more than one program within the School of Computer Science, their decisions may still be pending.)"

I'm not sure who posted that all the CSD decisions have been made, either. Care to share where you got that?

I'm basing that on a comment made by someone on the results page, which I obviously have no way of verifying:

Basically, each department at CMU has its own admission process and schedule. So, It looks like CSD sent out their decision. Not yet the other department. Another note is that CMU has no multiple rounds. Single decision for all. If you didn't hear any news but someone did, you are very likely to be turned down.

Not exactly what I wanted to hear. :| But yes, as others said, even if this is true, it's likely only for the CSD. Which is still lousy news for those of us who haven't heard anything.

computer science is putrid (along with EE) !! get out of that major now unless you intend on becoming a professor or reasearcher at bell labs or person creating computer games.

otherwise you are doomed to become a programmer loser like the comic store fool in the simpsons.

and jobs are being automated or shipped to cheaper places like china or india.

that is why I left EE

computer science is putrid (along with EE) !! get out of that major now unless you intend on becoming a professor or reasearcher at bell labs or person creating computer games.

otherwise you are doomed to become a programmer loser like the comic store fool in the simpsons.

that is why I left EE

I had no idea Computer Science was such a dried up field. Please tell me more about my major for the past 3.5 years.

that is why I left EE

I love that you don't actually say what's wrong with CS :)

P.S. You do realize entry level game design is pretty much the worst employment for a programmer in the industry?

Hi friends,

I have my got a mail from a professor at Berkeley for a telephonic discussion about research interests. It would be really great if some of you guys who have already had such a conversation could give an idea about what is expected from these telephonic conversations... I applied for the MS-PhD program in Computer Science.

To michigantrumpet and leogk,

I have also been admitted to CMU PhD program for fall 2009. Really great to see you guys here! Do you plan to attend the Open House?

Cheers

Hey guys,

I also have been admitted to CMU (computer science department PhD). Awesome! My area is theory. What about you guys? What are your top choice schools? CMU might already be my top choice, but I'm waiting to be convinced by Berkeley or MIT...

To mav3rick and PCP:

Congrats guys ! and congrats on interview offer, too. (I also applied to Berkeley but I don't hear anything.....)

I may miss the open house because I was a student at CMU for two years and I don't need to be oriented any more :lol:

By the way, what are your research fields? (I'm working on Computer Vision, Machine Learning, and Data mining.)

From next week, I'll working at MIT as a visiting scientist. But I don't hear any news from MIT (neither officially nor personally).

My PI doesn't seem to like talking about the admission thing.. :)

I just had an interview with a potential advisor at Berkeley... I have another one on Saturday, too. We mostly just discussed his research interests, my research interests, what would make me go to Berkeley over other top schools. That's been pretty typical so far.

Useful information for all Berkeley EECS applicants is that he said the committee will be making final decisions in another 1 to 2 weeks.

mav3rick and PCP: congrats!

I'm wondering what it takes to get into top schools. Do you think you guys can share your profile? I saw michigantrumphet's profile.

Here's mine: GRE Q800/V550/AWA 4.5, undergraduate GPA 3.7 (non-US), graduate GPA: 4.0 (top 10 school), 1 publication in a top conference (2nd author), 2 publications under review (first author in both), 1 US patent application, 4 yrs work experience. I applied for networks and systems stream.

Hey longhorn. My stats:

4.0 from ivy, GRE: 790 math, 760 verbal, 6.0 writing. 880 GRE subject, letter writers all supervised research projects (although this only led to 1 paper), various departmental awards.

Michigan: Thats funny that Berkeley basically asked you if you'd come if admitted. You'd think a school like that wouldn't have to. Do you think they are having issues with the California budget crisis this year?

Cool ! PCP.

You are one of the typical students who professors like most. - summa cum lauder from a top undergraduate school with promising research potentials.

You should collect more offers from other top schools !

My brief profile is

1. a Korean Univ. BS ME, MS ME, CMU Robotics MS

2. Internship @ MIT CSAIL, Honda Research, Intel Research, CMU BME

3. One top conf (acceptance ratio:4%), one mediocre ACM conf (8%), 3 robotics journals, 7 robotics conf. (All of them except one: 1st author)

Michigan: Thats funny that Berkeley basically asked you if you'd come if admitted. You'd think a school like that wouldn't have to. Do you think they are having issues with the California budget crisis this year?

Naw, I think it was a pretty standard question. The criteria you use to decide between schools does reflect on you as an applicant. Say for instance, if you're only interested in weather and women... Wish I'd been ready for the question, though. :oops:

I just got a phone call/e-mail from a fourth Berkeley professor... eesh! This time I was ready for the questions :D

congrats octav1an !

I also applied to UMich but I don't hear any news....

I don't think internship at MIT helps a lot.

I'm just about to start (from Feb 1st), when the decision is almost finalized.

(I mean I don't have any chance to show who I am.... :shock: )

And my PI doesn't say a single word about admission.

How much does it matter where you go to grad school, do you think? What if you find an advisor who is a great fit somewhere thats not one of the big 4 schools -- should you go, or are you giving up too much by not graduating from a place like CMU or MIT?