Stupid online admissions

MAN

Like every other grad school applicant, I have been constantly checking my schools websites for anything in regards to my admission status.

I was looking at one of the applications I sent in online yesterday. As I was clicking through the application, I saw something that said, "Congratulations!..."

My heart skipped a bit. I started to get excited. Then I read the rest of the message.

"Congratulations! Your application has been submitted successfully."

Why would they post it like that? They need it to something mundane like, "Your application has been submitted." Instead, they get my hopes up and then dash them.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Yeah, Emory sent me a "Congratulations! You have submitted...." email right after I finished up the app. But nowadays my heart races every time I get back to my desk and see I have a new email, usually only to be disappointed in seeing it's a Facebook email, Williams-Sonoma email, or my electricity bill.

I got an e-mail from one of the schools I applied to this past week (I applied Dec 15th). My heart also skipped a beat, but it was simply a password reminder. Apparently the last time I checked the admissions status site, I put in the wrong password. The system is kind enough to send you a password reminder every time you enter an incorrect password.

I guess I should've realized that I'd be more likely to get an acceptance/rejection from the department, rather than the generic graduate school's status website (otherwise, why have a status website?). But any new e-mail I get at my school account these days gets me momentarily anxious.

oh yes, their automated emails are so much fun. I got one that said they still needed my transcripts, but would be forwarding the application on to the department anyway. When I called to follow up on this (since the transcripts had arrived a month prior according to my delivery confirmation), the person in graduate admissions was very surprised the application had gone on. Didn't seem they were all really on the same page there, but I'm hoping the email was more accurate :)

UMass has an online status page, but it says...

Graduate Admissions Office usually mails formal letters of admission and denial within two days of the receipt of any recommendation. Notification of denial of admission will not appear on this web site for 21 days, thus allowing these decisions to first reach the applicant by mail.

I understand if they want to keep things "official," but I don't see the point of then having a status website at all... maybe for International students? Unreliable post office?

I signed up for that service on the GRE where they post your scores and schools can recruit you. Now I'll get e-mails in my inbox from random schools and I'm stuck thinking, "I don't remember applying to Iowa State." Good times.

Well today I got a FREAKING wrong number - I didn't pick up the phone cause I didn't recognize the area code so I googled the area code and it was from the SAME freaking area code of a school I applied to but I got a machine from a place trying to sell me something when I dared call back --- UGH - How dumb can I be? I KNOW I won't hear anything for a few weeks.

The winner so far of "stupidest online admission"(ok, application) has to be UMich's version of Embark. There were certain questions that said in big, bold letters "only answer if you are a US citizen or permanent resident". But then, the @#$%'n thing wouldn't let me submit the application until I answered the question. I even went backed to check that I had ticked the "dirty foreigner" box, which I had. Frustration!

The winner so far of "stupidest online admission"(ok, application) has to be UMich's version of Embark. There were certain questions that said in big, bold letters "only answer if you are a US citizen or permanent resident". But then, the @#$%'n thing wouldn't let me submit the application until I answered the question. I even went backed to check that I had ticked the "dirty foreigner" box, which I had. Frustration!

Yeah, I didn't like Embark all that much. While trying to submit my 1 Embark app, it look a good 10 minutes trying to go back and figure out which totally not-required questions I hadn't yet filled in.

One of my online apps wouldn't let me submit a 3 character GPA. It had to be "X.X" not "X.XX" before the thing would submit completely. I wigged because I didn't know whether to round up or down - toot my own horn or be self-deprecating? Sigh.