chicken soup

ohheygradschool

I'm going to repost the little anecdote I remembered in the other thread, because .. uh, it's all I've got. XD

"My friend, applying to economics ph.ds, told me a story that made me feel a little bit better. He attended an informational dinner at a VERY competitive program. One of the other attendees did not know the difference between microeconomics and macroeconomics. She asked what the difference was right in the middle of a roomful of dumbfounded eggheads. Realizing that I'll be pitted against at least *some* folks like that makes me feel at least a wee bit better about my chances."

Another bright spot for me was the road trip my best friend and I took to visit schools. She's hoping for a history spot. In November we got in the car and visited schools all up and down the eastern seaboard for three days, talking to whoever we could collar in our departments. We drove around 1500 miles and saw about a dozen campuses. It was spectacular.

Another bright spot for me was the road trip my best friend and I took to visit schools. She's hoping for a history spot. In November we got in the car and visited schools all up and down the eastern seaboard for three days, talking to whoever we could collar in our departments. We drove around 1500 miles and saw about a dozen campuses. It was spectacular.

Sounds wonderful! Wish I could have done something like that.

Perhaps it is the schadenfreude...

I had two friends say that they could get just as competitive GRE scores as me (as I was disappointed with my mediocre score after studying the entire summer for it) WITHOUT studying...and then, they each failed to break 1000 combined (on their respective tests).

Sharing the miseries of the GRE with another girl in the locker room during the 10 minute break after the AWA section. Great to know that all prospective grads can get together and be united with hate for ETS!

The support and encouragement that I've received from the professors who wrote my LoRs. Sometimes, when I'm feeling discouraged, I just go back and reread the kind emails that they sent me in response to my request for LoRs from them. One of my professors read over my SoP for me and gave such flattering feedback that I was genuinely touched (but also still a little bit in disbelief that my SoP wasn't garbage, ha). Anyway, whenever I get too down on myself, I just try and remember that these professors have faith in me and wouldn't tell me things about my work/grad school potential that weren't true.

Most of my local friends are currently grad or law students, and while I enjoy not having homework or finals, I have been so jealous of their long holiday breaks. Some of them are still not back in school, and I've worked every day since Jan. 3! I can't WAIT to have those long breaks again.

Seriously my happiest memory of all this was right when I got the scores for the GRE. I was ecstatic with them and I had called all my family to brag about it.

And the talk I had with my PI when I told him about my intentions to apply and asked him for a LoR. That was probably the most supportive he has ever been, telling me that it's great that I want to work on bioinformatics because it's still so new and needs minds like mine. As others have posted here, it is always wonderful when the best say you have great potential.

Getting my GRE scores - I had NO IDEA that taking the computer-based test meant that they just popped up on the screen as soon as you clicked the ticky box on your last question! Definitely a "whoa...wait..WHOA!" moment for me. :D

Perhaps it is the schadenfreude...

I had two friends say that they could get just as competitive GRE scores as me (as I was disappointed with my mediocre score after studying the entire summer for it) WITHOUT studying...and then, they each failed to break 1000 combined (on their respective tests).

Hmm... They're still your friends???

Okay, end of sidetrack.

I suppose I am glad for the listening ear of a good friend who's applying in this same cycle, and also various profs for being encouraging in their own little ways. :D