LOR from professor - Ummm......

I've narrowed down my list for recommendations and have been set for my applications.

I had one recommender nor get back to me so I guess that is out. Unprofessional to the extreme to not even respond, but that's his prerogative.

Basically, one of my recommenders sent me a very peculiar email. He moved from one university to another recently, so I have been giving him some breathing space before I bombard him with requests to write my letters. I tried a few time but didnt get a response so bided my time. I had sent him all the relevant material several weeks ago.

So I asked him today if he has reviewed the material I sent (resume, list of universities, writing samples, etc) for my recommendation.

This is his response:

"Afraid I haven't had time as yet. I am sure they are interesting, but why do you need me to read them?"

Should I be worried about the strength of this LOR?

I've narrowed down my list for recommendations and have been set for my applications.

I had one recommender nor get back to me so I guess that is out. Unprofessional to the extreme to not even respond, but that's his prerogative.

Have you tried following up with the professor? Their careers extend far beyond the classroom, and e-mails can easily get lost given the large number of other people who are trying to contact him/her. I wouldn't take it personally, though, nor would I consider lack of response to be unprofessional. That's just me.

Basically, one of my recommenders sent me a very peculiar email. He moved from one university to another recently, so I have been giving him some breathing space before I bombard him with requests to write my letters. I tried a few time but didnt get a response so bided my time. I had sent him all the relevant material several weeks ago.

So I asked him today if he has reviewed the material I sent (resume, list of universities, writing samples, etc) for my recommendation.

This is his response:

"Afraid I haven't had time as yet. I am sure they are interesting, but why do you need me to read them?"

No. Every professor is different and some just don't care to review SOPs and writing samples. Assuming that you have requested the LOR from a professor who knows your work well, they shouldn't really need to review more of your work, anyway. Of course, there are other professors who prefer to be much more engaged in the process and want to review the whole app. packet so that they can better tailor their LOR. It just depends on who you're talking to.

Edited by dimanche0829

This is his response:

Sounds like he didn't understand you were asking for a LOR. If there is no confusion about this point but he still doesn't understand why you want him to read your application materials, I would be suspicious and slightly worried. As dimanche correctly points out, it's possible that he just prefers to write LORs based only on his recollection without reading any other materials but it's then important to make sure that he remembers you well enough to write you a strong letter. I would follow up on this issue, as well as try to email the other professor again. Emails can get easily lost and/or forgotten so don't read too much into one ignored email.

Have you tried following up with the professor? Their careers extend far beyond the classroom, and e-mails can easily get lost given the large number of other people who are trying to contact him/her. I wouldn't take it personally, though, nor would I consider lack of response to be unprofessional. That's just me.

Tried about 5 times since August. Havent heard from even once. If it was my first effort I would understand but 5 emails, and no reply seems like he has no intention of writing it. Thats fine though, but at least he could respond telling me as much. I even gave him an out in my last mail, asking him whether he feels comfortable providing me with a recommendation.

No. Every professor is different and some just don't care to review SOPs and writing samples. Assuming that you have requested the LOR from a professor who knows your work well, they shouldn't really need to review more of your work, anyway. Of course, there are other professors who prefer to be much more engaged in the process and want to review the whole app. packet so that they can better tailor their LOR. It just depends on who you're talking to.

Well he was my advisor for my thesis. We got on reasonably well. I got a great mark and I published the work in the end so that should be enough. But that was 18 months ago so I wanted to give him a refresher as to my ability and where I am at currently. Yeah, I would prefer him to be more engaged but you're right. I tried to arrange a meeting with him but he didnt respond. Do you reckon its worth me persisting with this reference? I think I need two solid recommendations from professors.

Edited by Clay Made

Sounds like he didn't understand you were asking for a LOR. If there is no confusion about this point but he still doesn't understand why you want him to read your application materials, I would be suspicious and slightly worried. As dimanche correctly points out, it's possible that he just prefers to write LORs based only on his recollection without reading any other materials but it's then important to make sure that he remembers you well enough to write you a strong letter. I would follow up on this issue, as well as try to email the other professor again. Emails can get easily lost and/or forgotten so don't read too much into one ignored email.

No its definitely clear. I am pretty worried, that he just has a template for references and fills in the blanks.

One ignored email is nothing, be persistent! But not obnoxiously persistent. There's a subtle line. Some professors, in my experience, are notoriously absent minded, but not intentionally so.

As I've mentioned, I've sent several emails, being as clear as possible. I think the best course of action would be persistent in trying to arrange a meeting. Unless anyone else has suggestions??

As I've mentioned, I've sent several emails, being as clear as possible. I think the best course of action would be persistent in trying to arrange a meeting. Unless anyone else has suggestions??

I see. While his behavior is somewhat rude, some professors are EXTREMELY busy in the summer travelling to conferences and whatnot. I would recommend you try to arrange a meeting now that school is back in.

Tried about 5 times since August. Havent heard from even once. If it was my first effort I would understand but 5 emails, and no reply seems like he has no intention of writing it. Thats fine though, but at least he could respond telling me as much. I even gave him an out in my last mail, asking him whether he feels comfortable providing me with a recommendation.

Some professors are notoriously bad at answering emails. Try and come by his office and have a chat. If he agrees to write you letters, you need to establish a way of keeping track of the letters being submitted--agree that you will stop by and let him know when he should be expecting prompts from schools, and ask whether he will be in town around the deadlines (if not he may flake out and disappear and leave you with no options at the last minute). Maybe this is one of those cases when it's better to submit paper letters even if there is an online submission system.

Well he was my advisor for my thesis. We got on reasonably well. I got a great mark and I published the work in the end so that should be enough. But that was 18 months ago so I wanted to give him a refresher as to my ability and where I am at currently. Yeah, I would prefer him to be more engaged but you're right. I tried to arrange a meeting with him but he didnt respond. Do you reckon its worth me persisting with this reference? I think I need two solid recommendations from professors.

You should get a letter from your advisor if possible. Some adcoms will be suspicious if you don't. 18 months ago is not that long, maybe he doesn't need reminders. You should meet with him and try to get a feel for what he might write in the letter. Also, how is his placement record? If many of his former students are currently doing PhDs in good schools, that would be a good indication that his letters are solid.

@fuzzylogician,

I think he will write me the recommendation, after all he has agreed to it. The point that concerned me was his nonchalance. A generic letter could spell trouble for my application.

I see. While his behavior is somewhat rude, some professors are EXTREMELY busy in the summer travelling to conferences and whatnot. I would recommend you try to arrange a meeting now that school is back in.

Yep, will do again. I tried initially but he did not respond. I think I will try him again in a few weeks.

Just for some diversity, I'll throw in here that none of my recommenders asked for or looked at other parts of my application. If he was your thesis advisor, even 18 months ago, he probably doesn't need them to write you a strong or personal recommendation.

Just for some diversity, I'll throw in here that none of my recommenders asked for or looked at other parts of my application. If he was your thesis advisor, even 18 months ago, he probably doesn't need them to write you a strong or personal recommendation.

Thank you! Good to hear someone came out well in a similar situation. His nonchalance worried me a little.

Anyone have any tips on how to suss out what he may write in my recommendation without outright asking him?!

This is his response:

Does he understand that you're asking him to write an LOR? It sounds like there's a miscommunication there. As others have pointed out, it could also be the case that he feels he does not need to review these materials, if he already knows you well. Either way, follow up on this and make sure you get everything straightened out.

As for the professor who just didn't even respond to your e-mail...yes that is rather rude, but make sure you follow up again by phone because e-mails easily get lost. On the other hand, perhaps they do not want to write your letter (for various reasons) but don't have the heart to tell you. This happened to me with two of the professors I requested LOR's from. I asked via e-mail, and when I didn't hear back I followed up with a voicemail and a second e-mail from a different e-mail account. Still, nothing. It sucks that a professor whom you got on with would just not respond to your request, but you can't really do anything except move onto plan b. In my case, I ended up asking professors whom I didn't know as well and thought it was probably a shot in the dark, but surprise surprise..both of them were willing to help! You just have to keep putting yourself out there until something works. And it will if you try.

I would not worry about trying to find out what he writes in his recommendation.If he agreed to write you a letter trust him. This one is out of your hand.

With the other prof- some of the professors have like 5 email accounts and they are very busy. I would try to set up a meeting but if he actually does not want to write you a letter I would not push it at all (see that letter would be probably bad!!!).