Thanks Interferenceviolet! That was very helpful of you. I'm in Australia atm so it's even harder not being able to check the mail box personally. That will help the folks at home figure out when to wait for the post-person. I'm wait-listed for Vanier (they cut 5-6 awards from the budget this year) and hoping this is an indicator for the application's potential in this competition. It's a shame about you not getting the SSHRC though. I hope you have better luck this year.

Glad to be of help, eggs florentine. And yes, things turned out much better for me this year. I Was offered a CGS.

Yay! Received my letter in Vancouver today. Successful C-Category award (which means I choose between SSHC and super SSHRC).

Score: 20.6/30

Result: CGS/ will downgrade to fellowship - taking it abroad

Field: Political Science

Congratulations FleetFoxes! What year of your program are you in?

Ya... I guess I should provide a little more information as I am an a-typical applicant.

I am finishing my MA and applied through my department but I will be taking the doctoral award to the US. So I have completed 0 months of my PhD and will be taking the full $80,000 but I had the benefit (?) of going through several rounds of selection before being passed on to the national competition. If anyone is completing an MA in Canada and thinking about going abroad (or just to a different uni) for a PhD, I highly recommend applying through your current department as your standing at that level will tell you a lot about your likelihood of winning an award.

A few other deets (since there has been a lot of talk about this)

- 0 publications

- a few graduate student conferences but no "real" conferences

- lots of research experience as an RA and in the field

- high GPA from a very good university in the states

I really didn't agonize over these aspects of my application and instead focused my attention on the thing that I could control ... my research proposal. I think I wrote 4 full drafts before settling on and fine-tuning the project that I sent in. I also had roughly 6 people review my final document or with whom I discussed the proposal in general. I cannot say enough about how important this aspect of the application is. After all, when you receive an acceptance they do not say "congratulations on being a great scholar, we love you and have faith in your future research". Instead, they say "I am pleased to inform you that the Council is able to offer you the support you requested." What this (<---) tells me is that SSHRC awards are more like resaerch grants and less like traditional Rhodes-esque scholarship applications.

Successful in Lethbridge! Score of 21.9/30. B category for 24 months. I just finished my second year. Had 4 peer reviewed publications (journal articles and book chapter) and somewhere around 8 or 10 provincial, national and international conference presentations. Also, lots of relevant work experience. My Phd is in Education. 4.0 GPA.

Warm wishes for good results for all of you still eagerly waiting for mail!

wait-listed in Winnipeg

this whole process is just too exhausting! haha. ugh.

score: 18.6/30

sociology

going into my 2nd year of a PhD in the USA

Do people know about the likelihood of getting an award off the waitlist? Does this even happen? I can't think of many reasons why anyone would turn down an award, so how does it happen that more become available?

Also - what is the lowest successful score in sociology (or whatever that committee is) so far?

thx. congrats to everyone on your hard work! remember that these things don't define us as people!

Random question: I just logged into SSHRC to see if my CV was still available. Once inside, I was given the option to fill out an application for the Michael Smith Foreign Study Supplement, which is only available to CGS or Vanier winners. Is this standard? I.e. are non-CGS winners, or those having been rejected, still given the 'option' to do this?

Random question: I just logged into SSHRC to see if my CV was still available. Once inside, I was given the option to fill out an application for the Michael Smith Foreign Study Supplement, which is only available to CGS or Vanier winners. Is this standard? I.e. are non-CGS winners, or those having been rejected, still given the 'option' to do this?

Quick question oxfordphil? During the standard SSHRC Doctoral application process, the CV is a part of the SSHRC Fellowship application. For other grants and supplements, one has to fill out a separate CV. Is the CV you are logging in to view from your SSHRC or from your other applications?

The reason I ask is that my access to my SSHRC Doctoral application (CV included) vanished around February around the same time of receiving the letter from SSRHC saying that I was forwarded to the National Competition.

I was just more wondering how you are accessing this CV, and if you still have access to viewing your verified Doctoral Application?

Thanks!

I actually haven't logged in since November when I printed off my application. I was just curious about my whether I had put something on my CV and logged in to see if it was still there. My CV is gone, and the only thing I can do now is fill out an application for this Michael Smith thing. I'm in the UK and kind of losing my mind waiting for my results so thought this might mean something. :-P

extremely stupid question: the CV both of you are talking about...it never even appeared when I applied to SSHRC. As such, I did not attach it to my application...but I noticed it is up there now...when were we or are we to fill this out and what for?

From my understanding (though of course I could be incorrect), we fill out all the requirements of a CV within our regular SSHRC application for the doctoral fellowship, so there as no additional CV application form required.

Upon logging into the SSHRC website now though, I find a CV section available to fill out, which is used for inputting my CV information when applying for other types of grants (e.g. group research funding such as Insight grants).

Mystery solved: there are actually two different ways to log in, and you get different results. The one I tried first (second link) doesn't show your CV.

Online Forms

Thanks! That explains quite a bit.

I can view the Michael Smith Foreign Study Supplement as well. I am still waiting for my results in Vancouver. I would also like to know (from those that have received their news) if non-CGS winners/waitlisted have the option of viewing this application form as well? Thanks!

From my understanding (though of course I could be incorrect), we fill out all the requirements of a CV within our regular SSHRC application for the doctoral fellowship, so there as no additional CV application form required.

Upon logging into the SSHRC website now though, I find a CV section available to fill out, which is used for inputting my CV information when applying for other types of grants (e.g. group research funding such as Insight grants).

thanks! that makes sense. I initially freaked out because there is a portion which is left blank and I thought I may have missed something..lol.

I'm a direct applicant and I also only have a Michael Smith Foreign Study Supplement form available. Kind of doubt that means anything. But I doubt it means much. Wouldn't we have to accept an offer before any of this becomes available?

Edited by Dakon

Received my letter this afternoon in Vancouver. Happily successful with a two year sshrc B

19.2/30

2nd yr PhD Education

3 pubs

7 conferences, (5 intl)

3 RA + 5 TA positions in last 2 yrs

4.0 GPA for my MA, 4.33 for PhD (2.6 for my first undergrad - ouch)

Now maybe I can sleep tonight... Congrats to all who were successful and best of luck to those who apply next year.

Big ol' lurker here in Winnipeg... thought I better join in and post my results.

18/30

No publications

No 'real' conferences

Master's SSHRC, plus a number of provincial/university awards

4 years experience TA/numerous guest lecture appearances

4.37/4.5 MA GPA, 4.0 undergrad

Great reference letters

Political Science

Offered category C... not sure whether I will take super-sshrc or regular sshrc, choice amounts to going to a reputable Canadian university and being rich, or going to my dream school abroad and racking up debt. Congrats to all successful applicants, and good luck next time to those who were not.

Received my letter this afternoon in Vancouver. Happily successful with a two year sshrc B

19.2/30

2nd yr PhD Education

3 pubs

7 conferences, (5 intl)

3 RA + 5 TA positions in last 2 yrs

4.0 GPA for my MA, 4.33 for PhD (2.6 for my first undergrad - ouch)

Now maybe I can sleep tonight... Congrats to all who were successful and best of luck to those who apply next year.

So now I'm trying to do some math, comparing my score with the successful scores in my field....

I have a lot of work to do in the next year or so if I'm ever going to be successful! At the time of my application I had no real research experience, no publications, and only 1 major conference. I'm going to need to get my ass in gear!

It seems like the other applicants in my field have SO MUCH going on! I'm impressed.

I'm a direct applicant and I also only have a Michael Smith Foreign Study Supplement form available. Kind of doubt that means anything. But I doubt it means much. Wouldn't we have to accept an offer before any of this becomes available?

I was waitlisted and I don't have it. Sounds like you're in! Great news!