I take it that those of us who are left are the expatriates, with no idea how to judge our arrival times against those who have received letters in Canada. I wonder if SSHRC has a date after which they will tell you your result if your letter has not yet arrived...

I take it that those of us who are left are the expatriates, with no idea how to judge our arrival times against those who have received letters in Canada. I wonder if SSHRC has a date after which they will tell you your result if your letter has not yet arrived...

Tomorrow it sould arrive...I am hopeful. This waiting is killing my motivation to work. Been trying to write a book review but all I keep on doing is rereading my sshrc proposal..as if that mattered at all at this point..sigh. tomorrow..! :-)

I haven't looked at my SSHRC proposal since I sent it off. I mean, if I converted the amount of times I reread that thing into a quantity of pages, I'm sure I have a year of research.... If I looked at it once more, my brain might explode!

I haven't looked at my SSHRC proposal since I sent it off. I mean, if I converted the amount of times I reread that thing into a quantity of pages, I'm sure I have a year of research.... If I looked at it once more, my brain might explode!

hehe. I did not spend that much time on - only one day. Sadly, my references were being sent from two different countries and they were really late...arrived 1-2 days before the sshrc deadline..so I was not even thinking of applying at that point. The proposal is very much a copy and paste kind of thing..from phd proposal and conf. applications. As such, the likely rejection won't hurt as much...i hope :-)

Every day since Wednesday I've had an intuition that "today is the day." And yet every day it hasn't been the day. I'd really like to have hope for tomorrow but I can't seem to muster it. Canada Post says it takes 4-7 business days to post something internationally. Somewhere like the UK should be on the bottom of that average since it's not, you know, Timbuktu. So if it takes 4 days to get to the UK and then 1 day once in the UK (since Royal Mail is super quick) it should be 5 business days total which, even if you don't include the day it was mailed, means it should have arrived today or tomorrow at the latest.

Yes...I've been thinking about this too much.

Every day since Wednesday I've had an intuition that "today is the day." And yet every day it hasn't been the day. I'd really like to have hope for tomorrow but I can't seem to muster it. Canada Post says it takes 4-7 business days to post something internationally. Somewhere like the UK should be on the bottom of that average since it's not, you know, Timbuktu. So if it takes 4 days to get to the UK and then 1 day once in the UK (since Royal Mail is super quick) it should be 5 business days total which, even if you don't include the day it was mailed, means it should have arrived today or tomorrow at the latest.

Yes...I've been thinking about this too much.

Royal Mail is 'super quick' ? You can't be serious, lol. It takes them forever to deliver anything, provided it doesn't get lost anywhere. Perhaps it is different for the mail coming in as opposed to going out...:-)

Found out I was placed on the waiting list with a 17.55/30 score based on a selection committee 4 review. Does anyone know what the cutoff score for this committee is?

Hi folks,

Apparently Letter’s did arrive in NL! Just to the wrong address? Curious.

CGS

Score: 22.?/30 ( rough reportfrom a friend at home)

Anthropology/Archaeology

Still a master’s student atm.

MA SSHRC and some other higher profile international/regional awards.

ON contributions page: Published fist author in 2 A rated journals, 1 newer journal, 2 un-peer-reviewed reports, 4 edited volumes, 13conference presentations.

92.5% (4.0) MA

85.3% in each of two BSci s (no GPA given)

A variety of professional job experience

Also, one of the 5 to 6 of the SSHRC Vaniers that were cut from the budget this year. On a somber note this might ultimately mean that up to 5 or 6 fewer people will get SSHRC CGS/PhDs.

Good luck everyone.

Also successful (received today in Illinois). 3 year doctoral fellowship. Second application for doctoral SSHRC. Received score of 18.9 (at low end of acceptances, but good enough for me!) from the Fine Arts committee.

MA SSHRC

2 international conferences and some minor grad things

No publications

Good GPA, some previous scholarships for good academic achievement, blah blah blah

Some "real world" job experience

For all of those who were successful (or perhaps more accurately, caught the reviewers at the right time of day when they were in a good or forgiving mood), congratulations. And my sympathies to those who weren't. I was pretty devastated last year when I got the rejection letter.

my partner holds a sshrc doctoral award at his american university and he didn't explicitly tell his department for that exact purpose - so that he could retain his funding from them. it has worked out for the last two years!

How does this work? I'm still waiting at an American school and would need both my departmental funding and a SSHRC (or big loan) just to get by...

Just a note for waitlist people. I wrote to SSHRC yesterday and received the usual vague news. But here's something I dug up from page 56 of the SSHRC 2009 thread. A response from a SSHRC person about waitlists:

]When applicants apply to a committee in the Doctoral Awards program (National competition), their applications are forwarded randomly to one of the committee's sub-groups (the number of sub-groups varies by committee and depends on the volume of applications received by the committee). Each sub-group is assigned three committee members (normally from different research backgrounds) that evaluate, score and rank all applications in their assigned sub-group. The success rate in the competition remains the same across all committees and their respective sub-groups.

Your place on the waiting list is determined by your score within your sub-group. If an award recipient in your sub-group declines their award, we will proceed through the list in rank order.

]Please note, that there will be allot of movement on the recommended but not funded lists this summer. SSHRC plans to let applicants know their final decisions by August 2009.

Now some or all of this may not apply this year, but what is important to note here is not just that you are being waitlisted against one of the five committees, but waitlisted against the sub-groups within each committee. So for example, if it's Committee 5, you are not against everyone in PoliSci and Economics, but more likely just in Economics. The cut-off seems to be by sub-group rather than committee.

I hope I'll get someone in the future at SSHRC who can tell me where I am on the waitlist (they should be able to do that now, since they've released results, instead of waiting a month). One thing that seems not to have been mentioned is that SSHRC is giving out 130 less awards than last year (so roughly the first 25 on the waitlist for each ctte. would have won last year).

Edited by poseidon2012

Yeah, I'm asking myself the same thing. I even have friends in Montreal I could have had it send to, so I could have gotten it much earlier (being from Newfoundland).

At least there is solidarity in mutual suffering, right?

I have been lurking in this thread for a while so I thought I would add my stats to the list for future reference.

Sucssessful award of a Fellowship ($20,000 for 4 years) for DPhil in history at Oxford, 2012 entry. Incidently, that covers about 75% of my tuition, or about 45% of the total cost of the programme, but such is the way for anyone going overseas.

My first application for 2011 failed to get out of the History Department at my MA university.

Direct application for 2012 with:

No MA SSHRC (a previous MSc prevented me from qualifying)

but local GTF for duration of MA

Extra TA position as an 'award'

BA (Hons) 88% gpa (unweighted, cumulative for the final year)

MA, 87% for course work (no thesis grade)

2 single-author pubs

2 conferences during MA

2 during BA

one writing award in BA and one course work award at MA

result was a 22/30

Incidently, I am a 'mature student' in that I did not finish that 1st BA until I was 35. I also have an LD, but SSHRC does not make special concessions for those sorts of conditions (officially, at least).

I mention all the extra as it is always difficult to know what, exactly, matters in this sort of competition.

Good luck everyone, whatever the results.