I have not heard anything yet. Starting to wonder if it would be worth calling SSHRC to see if they are willing to provide more info now. You would think that they would be working through the waitlist since it has been 2 months almost.

based on the threads of past years it seems like the waitlist maybe doesn't start to move until the end of August? and then it does so until around February. so ... more waiting!

based on the threads of past years it seems like the waitlist maybe doesn't start to move until the end of August? and then it does so until around February. so ... more waiting!

A question about this: Say I'm holding a university fellowship the first year and then receive, in January, a SSHRC. I can't hold a fellowship and sshrc simultaneously, so what would happen? essentially lose the first year of funding from SSHRC?

A question about this: Say I'm holding a university fellowship the first year and then receive, in January, a SSHRC. I can't hold a fellowship and sshrc simultaneously, so what would happen? essentially lose the first year of funding from SSHRC?

good question! it sounds like you'd have to ask your school... assuming it is a school policy that you can't receive sshrc and a fellowship at the same time? (because I don't think that is a sshrc policy)

good question! it sounds like you'd have to ask your school... assuming it is a school policy that you can't receive sshrc and a fellowship at the same time? (because I don't think that is a sshrc policy)

If you look at the fine print, many awards administered by universities say that you can't hold them AND a "major award" at the same time. I've usually seen "major award" defined as anything over $13,000.

This happened to someone in my department, and here's what happened (best as I can remember).

Short version: they yank the fellowship (possibly retroactively) and pay you a SSHRC retroactive to an appropriate start date (May or Sept 2012, for this year's competition).

She didn't lose a year of SSHRC, but they retroactively yanked the fellowship money she had already received. In most cases SSHRC minus fellowship would leave you with leftover money, and you'd get a nice one-time payment to catch you up to what you would have received if you'd been getting SSHRC all year instead of the fellowship. Her fellowship was actually worth more than the SSHRC, though, so she was in a weird position where the university actually wanted money back from her. Happily, the department stepped in and covered over the gap with internal funding.

For those still waiting--you'll see most of the movement earlier than next February, I promise! I won a couple of years ago and was bumped from a small to a big award sometime in June or July. Fingers crossed that you get some news soon.

• 2 weeks later...

If you look at the fine print, many awards administered by universities say that you can't hold them AND a "major award" at the same time. I've usually seen "major award" defined as anything over $13,000.

Your comment made me decide to look up the SSHRC award holders guide, which says: "You may not concurrently hold an award from SSHRC and another federal granting agency (CIHR or NSERC). You may, however, accept awards from other sources, regardless of value, e.g., foreign sources, Canadian provinces, private organizations, your university." I received about $16,000 from my university last year (in awards & TA'ships) so it seems that any restrictions are more often on the university side, not SSHRC's side. That is, many claw back their internal funding if a student gets SSHRC, etc. (I think that's what you're saying.)

On SSHRC's side, the main restriction is that you cannot work more than 450 hours in 12 months, which works out to about 10 hours per week. So if your fellowship requires 20 hours a week of work that might be a problem.

Edited by lewin00

• 1 month later...

I have no heard anything. I emailed them after the post about the movement among award holders. They sent me a useless standard email about the waitlist process and did not mention their waitlist status. Hope is all but a flicker at this point, but life goes on.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure how it works in the states, but in Canada SSHRC sends the money to your school and you get paid through their payroll system. Payment schedules will vary school by school... some monthly, some bi-monthly, etc. I get my SSHRC mixed in with my teaching income.

Generally, I think comes out in 3 payments, one per semester. However, as mudlark stated, it depends on your school. At my university 1/3 of it is released on September 6th, as per university policy with funding and scholarships.

I'm in the States, so it should come as a cheque in the mail. Still nothing. I see last year, some award holders in the USA had received theirs on Aug 15.

Maybe send them an email and ask. They seem to be okay at responding to emails in a timely manner. I don't see anything on the website.

I'm still waiting to receive mine (in Canada). My school does payments of $1,666 per month on the first of each month but nothing thus far. My partner in the US received his SSHRC cheque in mid-September last year and hasn't gotten it in the mail yet this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Nope I'm in NJ and despite getting the form sent in by my school in late july, they didn't "receive" (process?) it until the beginning of september and last i heard they said it was getting mailed out after labor day. assuming that's september 4th, there's just no way mail from ottawa to central jersey should take 14 business days?

• 3 months later...

I have no heard anything. I emailed them after the post about the movement among award holders. They sent me a useless standard email about the waitlist process and did not mention their waitlist status. Hope is all but a flicker at this point, but life goes on.

I just received an email yesterday notifying me that I had been chosen to receive a reward off the wait list. I was wait listed in last year's competition and had given up hope ... I'm in my second year of a sociology doctoral program. my score was 18.6. 

good luck everyone! the wait list is finally starting to move!!

• 3 weeks later...

I just received an email yesterday notifying me that I had been chosen to receive a reward off the wait list. I was wait listed in last year's competition and had given up hope ... I'm in my second year of a sociology doctoral program. my score was 18.6. 

good luck everyone! the wait list is finally starting to move!!

Whoa. So the 2012 waitlist candidates are getting it this late in the game? How is this even possible?