GRE Poll (Quantitative Only)

Tritonetelephone

What is your best official GRE quantitative score?  

191 members have voted

1. 1. What is your best official GRE quantitative score?

• 750-800 (which is common for my program - math/engineering/etc.)
    • 750-800 (which is NOT common for my program - history/psychology/etc.)
    • 700-749
    • 650-699
    • 600-649
    • 550-599
    • 500-549
    • Lower than 500

Really?? So many people have 750-800? Is someone going to call shenanigans on this?

I think more people get high scores on the quantitative - my 770 was something like 88th percentile, and my 700 verbal was 97th.

These polls are no longer fun for me :(

Only increasing my anxiety by leading me to thoughts like "what the hell was I thinking applying to grad school? I have NO SHOT!!!!!"

You're going to be fine my friend. Keep your head up and know that positive energy will help push you over the edge!

Thanks. I really need to stop searching the archives of this site. I found someone with stats pretty comparable to mine who got rejected across the board. Just gotta keep remembering - I applied to different schools and our research interests could be different.

Plisar, have you posted where you're applying somewhere here on the board? (If not, I understand.)

Oh wait, I'm a thicko. I voted 750-800 even though I got 740. I guess that shows why I lost those 60 points.

I got a 740, too! *high five*

As an English major, I must say that I was quite pleased with myself :) .

I'm pretty sure this site is not representative, if that helps - I don't know in what ways it's skewed, but it's a small (and weird) enough pool that it HAS to be!

This poll does add evidence to my suspicion that the verbal and quantitative sections are not actually the same difficulty, though....

Agreed, this site (like College Confidential for HS students, though they have some grad stuff) is not a representative sample of your avg. college/grad school applicant.

Anyways, I got a 770 Quantitative, which is above avg. for cell and molecular bio programs, but not exceptionally so. UPenn-BGS CAMB program has an avg. GRE Q of 731 for their Fall 2008 class.

Most schools don't list, but I know that my 770 (88%) is really solid as well. My other scores are in my sig. line.

For Chem program in particular, I don't think they even care about your verbal score. I had 520 on my verbal score, 790 on my quantitative. I already accepted to few good programs. I think my application's strengths are my research experience, publications, and great recommendations. My GRE chemistry is only 770.. it has to be from other stuff.

Jeez, I wouldn't have made the polls if I knew it would cause so much stress!

Graphs of the distribution of scores for each field are on the GRE powerprep software - that should ease a lot of anxiety around here. These scores are definitely not representative of who you're competing against - only those with the resources to have found gradcafe. :P

Here's a table that google found for me...

ftp://ftp.ets.org/pub/gre/generaldistribution.pdf

By the way, has anyone else noticed just how many people are voting? Certainly seems like more than the number of people posting in the threads :wink:

Oh wait, I'm a thicko. I voted 750-800 even though I got 740. I guess that shows why I lost those 60 points.

Luckily, I did the opposite (scored 750, my total was XY40, I was confused) so we didn't compromise this robust study!

And, I just posted this message quoting the wrong post, so I'm the thicko!