NSERC 2012-2013

dynasty007

This is my problem as well, do you think they are very strict on the defense date to be before Sep 1? I dont think you calling will help know and who knows maybe when you get the award you get alot of energy to finish you thesis, how far are you in your thesis? and why are you so sure that you wont defend on time?

Do not put pressure on you that much, wait till you get the results and then start to think about it !

You are a Vanier applicant as well ?

Yes, through NSERC.

The only reason I know anything pertinent to CIHR is my research straddles their boundaries, and one of my colleagues here applied for CIHR CGS and Vanier (he was rejected by Vanier yesterday).

Yes, I am a PDF waiting for the results.

What do you mean 'how is going to work being at a foreign university'?

I am at a US univ. and I hope I can take the fellowship anywhere if I am awarded.

Any other PDFs out there still holing up hopes of (assuming successful) starting the award April 1st? I have no clue how this is going to work being at a foreign university.

I'm with you, Yellowtulip. I'm waiting on PDF results but I'm supposed to be starting a position in the States. Lucky for me, I'm not defending till later this month, and have managed to put my supervisor there off for a couple months after that to get my affairs in order here, get relevant visas, etc, but I'm actually leaving for a lab visit at my new position tomorrow. I'm supposed to be negotiating the particulars of my position on this trip, and I thought for SURE I'd know my fellowship status before arranging it. *melodramatic sigh*

The position isn't contingent on me getting the fellowship, but it sure would put me in a better position for negotiating things.

This is my problem as well, do you think they are very strict on the defense date to be before Sep 1?

Well, I know that I was emailed last October and asked if I was sure I'd complete my doctoral requirements in time, and warned that "If your application is successful in the competition and do not complete the requirements of your doctorate by this date, the award will be cancelled. Given that you can apply only twice for a PDF, you have the opportunity to withdraw your application from the competition if you do not expect to meet this requirement."

So I'd say they're likely to be pretty strict.

Yes, I am a PDF waiting for the results.

What do you mean 'how is going to work being at a foreign university'?

I am at a US univ. and I hope I can take the fellowship anywhere if I am awarded.

You can only take up a PDF at a Canadian university or government research group if you're PhD is awarded at a foreign university:

• You may hold a Postdoctoral Fellowship abroad only if you have received (or expect to receive before you take up the fellowship) your doctorate from a Canadian university.
  • You are not permitted to hold your fellowship at the same university (or its affiliated hospitals, research centres and other laboratories) where you received your doctorate. However, you may request an exception that will be considered by the selection committee. The request must be based on family reasons (e.g., a spouse's career) or scientific reasons (e.g., availability of specialized equipment), which make it extremely difficult for you to leave a particular university. You must change department and supervisor, or change university if there are two in the same city. Given that NSERC may not approve your request for an exception, you are encouraged to include an alternate location for your Postdoctoral Fellowship.
  • You may not hold the Postdoctoral Fellowship with your PhD supervisor, even if your supervisor changes research institutions.

This can be found here: http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Students-Etudiants/PD-NP/PDF-BP_eng.asp

You can only take up a PDF at a Canadian university or government research group if you're PhD is awarded at a foreign university:

Obviously. I think it would be quite an odd thing if a US PhD graduate would be awarded a scholarship by the Canadian government to do research in a non-Canadian university.

I contacted someone at Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies at McGill. They said that no information has been received on CGS/PGS awards.

I hate to say it, but if universities don't know, then we could be waiting a long time for letters. I think I'll wait till next week and then ask them again.

Slightly OT: I applied for the NSERC PDF competition thinking I'd be done my degree this summer, ready to start the PDF Sept 1, but hiccups has arisen that make this a less than likely outcome. I'm aware that failure to complete degree requirements by Sept 1 means that your PDF is revoked, but any ideas on whether this also means that your application is counted against your maximum of 2 times you're allowed to apply for the competition? Obviously if one is awarded a PDF one year that they can't accept, they're probably going to still be in pretty good standing for the next year of competition, but still, it would suck to only have one chance left at the competition... And of course, what with the delayed notifications I am indeed counting chickens before they've hatched. Though I am wondering if I should call them before I get my letter and ask them to forget I applied...

I guess you can start your PDF until January 13, 2013.

I contacted someone at Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies at McGill. They said that no information has been received on CGS/PGS awards.

I hate to say it, but if universities don't know, then we could be waiting a long time for letters. I think I'll wait till next week and then ask them again.

I hope I can find out about the PDF results from my former university, because I cannot wait weeks for the letter to be delivered.

OMG both Monday and Friday are holidays: http://www.statutory...ys.com/2012.php

I am getting so sick of this game, what if god forbid someone has some sort of schedule and needs to know their results on time?!!!!

Relax and be thankful that scholarship results are the most pressing matter that you're stressing about at the moment. There are much more life threatening matters in this world that someone could really worry over. None of us have the power to make NSERC send the results out any faster.

Edited by stanvx

OMG both Monday and Friday are holidays: http://www.statutory...ys.com/2012.php

I am getting so sick of this game, what if god forbid someone has some sort of schedule and needs to know their results on time?!!!!

Were you planning to start your award on April 1st if one was awarded to you?

For me (CGS/PGS), it doesn't change the start date so I'm not worrying too much...

Edited by MTL18

Were you planning to start your award on April 1st if one was awarded to you?

For me (CGS/PGS), it doesn't change the start date so I'm not worrying too much...

Well I have asked two employers to postpone the date I can accept their offers to March 31th, I do have a one year postdoc offer but wont go to it if I dont get NSERC and prefer to go to my job offers. The only thing is the employer thinks I am crazy since I have told them I have no idea when I can reply to you anymore!!!