NSERC 2012-2013

dynasty007

Are you from Dalhousie or SMU? I'm waiting to hear from the bio department at dal and I emailed both grad studies and my department this morning and have yet to hear anything!!

I am - I just heard I got awarded a PGS-D3! :)

For all those who go to UWO, apparently results will be available online in your "Student Centre" website within the next 24 hours. The School of Graduate and Post-Doctoral Studies is beginning to load them now.

Fingers crossed for all applicants.

Thanks for the UWO info une17. Excuse me while I obsessively refresh my Student Centre now.

Congrats! Was it grad studies that notifited you or your department? I don't understand why neither have gotten back to me yet I keep hearing of other people hearing news from them.

How did you end up hearing at DAL and did you literally just find out or did you receive the email a while ago? My grad secretary said they (FGS I'm guessing) have sent out emails to just the winners but I don't know if they are still in the process of doing that or have already finished sending emails to the recipients a while ago.

For PDF applicants: Just called NSERC and asked for the number of awards, he told me that he does not have the exact number but only 8-10 percents of the applicants have been awarded. Sorry for bad news.

Edited by UBC2012

For PDF applicants: Just called NSERC and asked for the number of awards, he told me that he does not have the exact number but only 8-10 percents of the applicants have been awarded. Sorry for bad news.

At least it seems to be similar to last year (rather than yet another drop!!).

At least it seems to be similar to last year (rather than yet another drop!!).

Yeah, I was worried it would be even lower. this year. I'm worried enough as it is, no one from my university (NO ONE) has gotten a PDF in the past couple years.

Yeah, I was worried it would be even lower. this year. I'm worried enough as it is, no one from my university (NO ONE) has gotten a PDF in the past couple years.

Just called another Dept of NSERC to see if the 8-10 percent is trustworthy. He told me that last year the success rate was 10-14 percent (it was around 10, I guess) and this year is 8-10 percent. He also mentioned that they have had a drop in the success rate for this year. Sorry again for very bad news. I know from last year's forum someone with 8-10 journal publications did not get the award.

Just called another Dept of NSERC to see if the 8-10 percent is trustworthy. He told me that last year the success rate was 10-14 percent (it was around 10, I guess) and this year is 8-10 percent. He also mentioned that they have had a drop in the success rate for this year. Sorry again for very bad news. I know from last year's forum someone with 8-10 journal publications did not get the award.

http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/NSERC-CRSNG/FundingDecisions-DecisionsFinancement/ScholarshipsAndFellowships-ConcoursDeBourses/index_eng.asp

last year PDF success rate was 9.29% (133 out of 1431)

This is so bizarre. I'm not sure how Vaniers and Bantings (or even CGS) are justified when so little people have access to the standard PDF awards. PhD students don't need $50,000 dollar scholarships. I'm hoping for $21,000/year

If they are funding 10% of PDF applicants again then you basically have to be within the top 2 applicants in your field. I know someone with many publications, including a paper in Science, that did not receive a PDF for the last two years (now his eligibility is done). In other words, try not to be too disappointed when you get the PDF results. It is a bit like winning the lottery...

Do they tell you when you are on the waiting list ? How do they manage their waiting lists, as I expect people who got Vanier will reject their PGS/CGS

Je sais pas si c'est mentione dans la lettre. Met ton departement va le savoir

Si tu as un R a cote de ton nom = rejected

si WL = waiting list

Good luck !

How did you end up hearing at DAL and did you literally just find out or did you receive the email a while ago? My grad secretary said they (FGS I'm guessing) have sent out emails to just the winners but I don't know if they are still in the process of doing that or have already finished sending emails to the recipients a while ago.

I e-mailed the graduate studies scholarships liaison officer, because I tried contacting the person in my department and she is away until next week. The scholarships liaison officer then contacted me to say that I was a successful applicant and told me to call her so that she could give me the details.

Good luck finding out! I wish you success :)