NSERC 2012-2013

dynasty007

I applied from St.FX and received an email yesterday from our Scholarship Liaison Officer informing me that I have been offered a PGS-M. Apparently the results are up on NSERC's secure website so the SLO for your respective universities may be able to access the information, but I was told not to expect the letter from NSERC until next week. All the best to everyone who applied! :)

Congratulations Amac22 and welcome to this Forum ;)

Congrats, I would say take your PGS to a big school in US such as MIT or Stanford so you wouldnt be sad about CGS. and really if you have the chance to take your award outside do it there is a BIG difference for your future.

Thanks for your suggestion, marmoor. I am actually considering such a move to a better school in my field.

I felt it was pretty strong (for what it is worth), it was regarding climate change.

This may actually be a hindrance. A couple years ago an NSERC chair told me a huge proportion of their Discovery Grant applications were about climate change. In many cases, you could tell the PI just tacked on the concept of climate change to pander to the current "sexy scientific issue". She said that this was a big point of contention and why many were rejected, because it was an obvious weakness in their proposal.

Of course I'm not saying you were doing this, but if many, many, many people are now conducting research in the general area of climate change it means you have to stand out even more from the rest of the climate change crowd to be noticed.

Congrats, I would say take your PGS to a big school in US such as MIT or Stanford so you wouldnt be sad about CGS. and really if you have the chance to take your award outside do it there is a BIG difference for your future.

Hey come on, I thought NSERC was about helping out Canada, not bailing out and moving to the states ;)

I e-mailed the graduate studies scholarships liaison officer, because I tried contacting the person in my department and she is away until next week. The scholarships liaison officer then contacted me to say that I was a successful applicant and told me to call her so that she could give me the details.

Good luck finding out! I wish you success :)

Hmmm I guess I should assume that I did not get an award then as I also emailed the scholarship liason officer this morning and she never got back to me. I just called the grad studies office and they said they are super busy right now so they can't tell me but to try and call back tomorrow. Has anyone else from Dal gotten a rejection or acceptance? I find it a bit rude that grad studies would make me wait until tomorrow. I know they are busy but isn't this the job of the scholarship officer? Shouldn't she not go home tonight until she replies back to all her emails. Guaranteed they all left the office at 4:30....sorry to complain but I'm just frustrated!!

I emailed my Grad Studies office a few days ago and they just said "sometime in April"... but I'm not going to ask again because I don't feel like harassing them. So I'll have to wait patiently and hope I hear about it before I leave the country for two weeks next week!

Also, this thread is amazing haha

I harassed my grad studies office this morning and was told that they would not be releasing the results nor do they have them, I must wait for mail. McGill.

Hey come on, I thought NSERC was about helping out Canada, not bailing out and moving to the states ;)

Well Canada would prefer to hire US school graduates as faculty members cause they know the quality of research there is really good, so move to US work hard for 4 years get a PhD with high quality publications and come back to serve Canada.

Well Canada would prefer to hire US school graduates as faculty members cause they know the quality of research there is really good, so move to US work hard for 4 years get a PhD with high quality publications and come back to serve Canada.

That's true. A professor in the U.S. had asked if I was interested in a PhD. position but I declined... I didn't think I could handle living in the U.S. for 4 years and would *hate* to have to do the SAT.

I'll stay in Canada and be less competitive in my own country I guess :(

Serve Canada or serve greedy universities ?

I harassed my grad studies office this morning and was told that they would not be releasing the results nor do they have them, I must wait for mail. McGill.

Sigh.

Sigh.

"Results are not yet available, and they will not be available to students from this office. In fact, our contact at NSERC told us on Friday that they did not know when the resultswill be available.

The official notice will be mailed to you direct from the agency to the mailing address you provided on your application last fall. If you have moved since last fall, it is advisable to update your address with the agency."

Based on the tone of that email, I'd says he's answer more than one of those today!

"Results are not yet available, and they will not be available to students from this office. In fact, our contact at NSERC told us on Friday that they did not know when the resultswill be available.

The official notice will be mailed to you direct from the agency to the mailing address you provided on your application last fall. If you have moved since last fall, it is advisable to update your address with the agency."

Based on the tone of that email, I'd says he's answer more than one of those today!

Bouuhahahahaha ! this feels like an automated answer ! lol