NSERC 2012-2013

dynasty007

I e-mailed the graduate studies scholarships liaison officer, because I tried contacting the person in my department and she is away until next week. The scholarships liaison officer then contacted me to say that I was a successful applicant and told me to call her so that she could give me the details.

Good luck finding out! I wish you success :)

That is one super awesome lady!

Got mail today from NSERC, was awarded a CGS M!

Now the question is... Montreal: before or after Easter??? Anyone willing to bet?

I say before, but that might be wishful thinking...

Now the question is... Montreal: before or after Easter??? Anyone willing to bet?

I say before, but that might be wishful thinking...

Definitely wishful thinking, but I hope so to. I have no idea why the grad department doesn't have them yet though (unless they were full of it)

Applied through U Windsor biology (now at a different school), no offer, aka rejected.

Have 1 primary journal paper, 1 submitted and about 8 conference presentations (mix of presenting and co author) and a tech report to a lake management committee. Thankfully I have alternative funding.....

Good luck to the rest of you!

Applied through U Windsor biology (now at a different school), no offer, aka rejected.

Have 1 primary journal paper, 1 submitted and about 8 conference presentations (mix of presenting and co author) and a tech report to a lake management committee. Thankfully I have alternative funding.....

How where you informed?

Everybody is naming their numbers of papers published, but reading through this forum, I have a strong feeling that your research proposal has more weight on their decision.

I felt it was pretty strong (for what it is worth), it was regarding climate change. A friend of mine got wait-listed and had a pretty good application as well. Stiff competition!

I felt it was pretty strong (for what it is worth), it was regarding climate change. A friend of mine got wait-listed and had a pretty good application as well. Stiff competition!

Maybe they're tending more towards near future "industrial" application, they've been getting a lot of pressure from the government. I heard that as for research grants, mathematics has been suffering a lot recently due to this change in mentality.

Everybody is naming their numbers of papers published, but reading through this forum, I have a strong feeling that your research proposal has more weight on their decision.

Grades, awards, your supervisor, the quality of your environment, whether or not you were funded at the master's level, if you finished on time, if those results were published, previous jobs that point to leadership skills, letters of reference (and who is writing them), and, of course, your research proposal.

All of those play a role. We get fixated on papers but in reality, expecting a 23 year old student with an MSc to have 6 first author papers is unrealistic.

totally agrre wiht you. You may have 50 journal paper, but if your proposal is not solid, you will fail.

The comittee must see the impact of your research on the scientific community and on Canada development

Edited by eliasg

I think you're also compared to others in similar fields as well; so it's hard to make direct comparisons across the sciences, i.e. physics vs biology vs chemistry, etc... I bet you each field has different cut offs

Il y a de la chance aussi dans tout et de la subjectivité !

Ça dépend la demande sur qui elle tombe.

Dans le comité NSERC, 50% aiment les projets fondamentaux et recherchent des projets flyés. D'autres aiment les projets appliqués avec expérimentation.

Ça dépend vraiment sur qui ca tombe

C'est que mon superviseur m'a dit !!!

... whether or not you were funded at the master's level...

So you have a higher chance of getting a PGS-D if you received a PGS-M in the past? I find that slightly unfair, but alas, I'm not the one giving away money I guess!

So you have a higher chance of getting a PGS-D if you received a PGS-M in the past? I find that slightly unfair, but alas, I'm not the one giving away money I guess!

I have 0 evidence of that, it is purely speculative on my part. But everything in the world has politics so I find it hard to believe that if you were funded by NSERC previously and didn't implode that you wouldn't be considered again.

Absolutly not !!!!!!!!!!!

Remind that each year, NSERC offer more CGS-M than PGS-M. There is only 200$ of difference betwwen both.

ES M 54 BESC-M 774

Edited by eliasg

True, I didn't even apply because I had funding. Also, I worked with both provincial and federal gov't as biologist for a year before my Phd and finished msc and bsc in 2/4 years respectively. I think the the competition is just getting stiffer and the decreased funding doesn't help. Just apply again next year!!

Kind of...the more scholarships and awards you have won in the past, the better your application looks and thus the better your chances are in future scholarship competitions.

But it's only one part of a very multi-faceted application.

Kind of...the more scholarships and awards you have won in the past, the better your application looks and thus the better your chances are in future scholarship competitions.

But it's only one part of a very multi-faceted application.

Yeah I have plenty of other scholarships, but NSERC has always evaded me! =)

Guys, there is no evidence for what I said about previous NSERCs being correct. However, when applying this year, I was on the cusp of CIHR/NSERC, and my boss said "NSERC, you already got one". Common sense dictates that there will be some politics. It was one of my many examples to show that papers are only 1 piece of the puzzle. Keep your hopes up and wait for the letters.