NSERC 2012-2013

dynasty007

Reply from my university about NSERC PDF.

Hi XX,

Unfortunately we do not have any news on NSERC PDFs. According to our Graduate Awards Manager, there have been some delays with the NSERC PDF and we don’t have much information beyond that. NSERC will be notifying you directly, and questions should be directed to them.

Best regards,

XX

I'm curious as to why it doesn't seem like anyone including myself have received CGS-D, all of us only got PGS-D. Is it because they're giving fewer away or that they're waiting to upgrade people later?

Hmmm I guess I should assume that I did not get an award then as I also emailed the scholarship liason officer this morning and she never got back to me. I just called the grad studies office and they said they are super busy right now so they can't tell me but to try and call back tomorrow. Has anyone else from Dal gotten a rejection or acceptance? I find it a bit rude that grad studies would make me wait until tomorrow. I know they are busy but isn't this the job of the scholarship officer? Shouldn't she not go home tonight until she replies back to all her emails. Guaranteed they all left the office at 4:30....sorry to complain but I'm just frustrated!!

another lurker here, but I'm from Dal in biology as well and was informed this morning (in person, in my office, by the department's scholarship coordinator) that I got a CGSD! she said she was not allowed to send the results by email so she was just walking around the department telling people. she didn't mention anything about saying results over the phone. so biogr I would say find her in person tomorrow if you're around or call her. good luck! and thanks everyone here for the riveting commentary over the last few weeks :)

Hey everyone!

So I'm guilty of religiously following along as well, it's like a support group in here! Nonetheless, today I got informed from a department secretary that I won a PGS-D3! So, they do have the results and some are more willing to pass along the news than others. However, she did say that the letters would not arrive until next week, so sorry to everyone who hasn't had news yet and good luck!

Now I know I got the award over a three year term, but I really only have 2 years left of my PhD, if I finish it on time that is, so I guess that last year might just get unused? Can I somehow convince them to give it to me over 2 years and upgrade to a CGS? hehe.

Hey everyone!

So I'm guilty of religiously following along as well, it's like a support group in here! Nonetheless, today I got informed from a department secretary that I won a PGS-D3! So, they do have the results and some are more willing to pass along the news than others. However, she did say that the letters would not arrive until next week, so sorry to everyone who hasn't had news yet and good luck!

Now I know I got the award over a three year term, but I really only have 2 years left of my PhD, if I finish it on time that is, so I guess that last year might just get unused? Can I somehow convince them to give it to me over 2 years and upgrade to a CGS? hehe.

You *think* you only have two years left ;-) hahaha

another lurker here, but I'm from Dal in biology as well and was informed this morning (in person, in my office, by the department's scholarship coordinator) that I got a CGSD! she said she was not allowed to send the results by email so she was just walking around the department telling people. she didn't mention anything about saying results over the phone. so biogr I would say find her in person tomorrow if you're around or call her. good luck! and thanks everyone here for the riveting commentary over the last few weeks :)

Congrats biograd7! First CGSD on the forum I think! How far into your PhD are you - or not started? Can you share your publications? I know they aren't everything, but curious what a biol CGSD awardee has for pubs. Thanks!

Congrats biograd7! First CGSD on the forum I think! How far into your PhD are you - or not started? Can you share your publications? I know they aren't everything, but curious what a biol CGSD awardee has for pubs. Thanks!

thanks Clarrien! congrats to you too! you won a vanier (and a PGSD) if i recall correctly? i'm 15 months into my MSc so i haven't started my PhD yet. now i have to figure out whether to transfer now or finish my MSc then start my PhD right away. anyways i have 1 first author pub, 1 coauthor pub, 1 first author submitted, 2 first author manuscripts in progress and 3 conferences. the work spans three separate projects. my question for you if you'll entertain it, is how do you think you got the vanier? i mean, what do you think stands out from your application. i was unsuccessful for the vanier so it would be interesting to know the key differences between our applications. i also have a lot of leadership activities, teaching, and other presentations.

thanks Clarrien! congrats to you too! you won a vanier (and a PGSD) if i recall correctly? i'm 15 months into my MSc so i haven't started my PhD yet. now i have to figure out whether to transfer now or finish my MSc then start my PhD right away. anyways i have 1 first author pub, 1 coauthor pub, 1 first author submitted, 2 first author manuscripts in progress and 3 conferences. the work spans three separate projects. my question for you if you'll entertain it, is how do you think you got the vanier? i mean, what do you think stands out from your application. i was unsuccessful for the vanier so it would be interesting to know the key differences between our applications. i also have a lot of leadership activities, teaching, and other presentations.

Hmm, to transfer or not to transfer! Good question! You're way ahead on publications that I am, I need to get busy (i.e. get off this forum). When I applied for Vanier/NSERC I had 2 co-author pubs, lots of conferences, and indicated I was working on 2 first author and 2 co-author pubs, still haven't submitted any of them yet, how is this possible!! But, I stressed the collaborative nature of the projects, with government and international scientists; I broke my leadership into university, academic and community service as I am strong in all three. I think my research proposal was quite strong, and really built on my previous research experience... and I had really good reference letters I think.... and I was 100% sure that I devoted everything I had to that application, every word carefully selected, so much revising etc. I don't know what tipped the scale, but I think I convinced them I have research leadership potential, not just research and leadership separately. Who knows, since they don't give us feedback, which is really too bad.

Thanks for the info and congrats on your CGS, that's amazing!! You application was much better than mine (I only have one 2nd author paper, one 1st author paper in review, and a bunch of conference presentations). I was still hoping that would be good enough for a PGS but now I'm not so sure. I wasn't in my office at all today so I guess there's still a slim chance I may have just missed getting my results, I'll have to go and see her in person tomorrow. Congrats again!

Congrats, how did you get informed?

The Grad Admin in my department is really nice and she e-mailed me as soon as she found out. In my department there were only 2 NSERC aplicant students who made it out, so it wasn't a big deal for her to let me know about getting NSERC.

Hmm, to transfer or not to transfer! Good question! You're way ahead on publications that I am, I need to get busy (i.e. get off this forum). When I applied for Vanier/NSERC I had 2 co-author pubs, lots of conferences, and indicated I was working on 2 first author and 2 co-author pubs, still haven't submitted any of them yet, how is this possible!! But, I stressed the collaborative nature of the projects, with government and international scientists; I broke my leadership into university, academic and community service as I am strong in all three. I think my research proposal was quite strong, and really built on my previous research experience... and I had really good reference letters I think.... and I was 100% sure that I devoted everything I had to that application, every word carefully selected, so much revising etc. I don't know what tipped the scale, but I think I convinced them I have research leadership potential, not just research and leadership separately. Who knows, since they don't give us feedback, which is really too bad.

I am exactly as confident of my application for PDF as you were for your PGS-D application, for the similar reasons cited. Best wishes and good luck with your further research work.

Hi guys! I'm also a long time lurker.

After applying for NSERC for the fourth time I've come to realize something that people haven't really mentioned yet on this forum. I was denied 1 USRA and 2 PGS-Ms. This year though, I managed to snag a Vanier. My application really hasn't changed much from last year, but the way in which I wrote it definitely has. I really tried to emphasize my enthusiasm for what I was doing.

I'm trying to say that two people with identical credentials could be ranked very differently depending on their respective writing styles.

Also, luck plays a larger role than it should. I'm not saying that those who got the award don't deserve one. It's actually the opposite. Every application that makes it to Ottawa probably deserves one. The reviewers HAVE to rank you. Even the most trivial details can be the difference between an award offer or rejection. Who really knows which of those details the reviewers care about at any given moment?

Wish everyone the best!

After applying for NSERC for the fourth time I've come to realize something that people haven't really mentioned yet on this forum. I was denied 1 USRA and 2 PGS-Ms. This year though, I managed to snag a Vanier. My application really hasn't changed much from last year, but the way in which I wrote it definitely has. I really tried to emphasize my enthusiasm for what I was doing.

I'm trying to say that two people with identical credentials could be ranked very differently depending on their respective writing styles.

Also, luck plays a larger role than it should. I'm not saying that those who got the award don't deserve one. It's actually the opposite. Every application that makes it to Ottawa probably deserves one. The reviewers HAVE to rank you. Even the most trivial details can be the difference between an award offer or rejection. Who really knows which of those details the reviewers care about at any given moment?

Wish everyone the best!

Congrats! I was rejected for 1 USRA and 2 PGS-M as well! Let's hope I'm as lucky as you were and get an PGS-D this time!

Wish everyone the best!

Nah.... every application that makes it to NSERC doesn't HAVE to be reviewed. My Vanier application a couple years ago was basically disqualified (due to unclear mandate). As far as I could tell/interpret from the letter, it was never reviewed. Kinda crappy, but oh well... the lab I was in had grants that were NSERC dominated and the project was very much was NSERC-y (end application was certainly health related, but the clinical aspect wasn't part of the proposal). Luckily my PGS ended up getting evaluated and made it! All that to say that even two nearly identical applications in a given year can have a very different outcome!

Wish everyone the best!

So you get Vanier or PGS-D ???

GUys, the fact that our application was chosen by our universities to be applied for NSERC, or Vanier, or whatever means that we are strong people. So be confident in yourself even if you dont get an award this year. It is not the end.

It is just the beginning ....

Edited by eliasg

GUys, the fact that our application was chosen by our universities to be applied for NSERC, or Vanier, or whatever means that we are strong people. So be confident in yourself even if you dont get an award this year. It is not the end.

It is just the beginning ....

Is it possible to figure out how many people your university submits to NSERC? Just curious...

Is it possible to figure out how many people your university submits to NSERC? Just curious...

This year, Polytechnique submit 35 applications : 13 for PhD and 22 for Master.

The quota for each university is given for 2 years. If in this 2 years, the university had good resultsregarding the application to NSERC, the quota increase for the next 2 year. If the results were bad, the quota decrease.