NSERC 2012-2013

dynasty007

Hmm, to transfer or not to transfer! Good question! You're way ahead on publications that I am, I need to get busy (i.e. get off this forum). When I applied for Vanier/NSERC I had 2 co-author pubs, lots of conferences, and indicated I was working on 2 first author and 2 co-author pubs, still haven't submitted any of them yet, how is this possible!! But, I stressed the collaborative nature of the projects, with government and international scientists; I broke my leadership into university, academic and community service as I am strong in all three. I think my research proposal was quite strong, and really built on my previous research experience... and I had really good reference letters I think.... and I was 100% sure that I devoted everything I had to that application, every word carefully selected, so much revising etc. I don't know what tipped the scale, but I think I convinced them I have research leadership potential, not just research and leadership separately. Who knows, since they don't give us feedback, which is really too bad.

You know Clarrien. My university told me that i am candidate for Vanier 3 days before the deadline. It's very difficult to prepare a good application in 3 days.

Anyways, hard luck for me. I had like to go to Ontarion and receive a Vanier award from PM.

Congratulations for all Vanier winners

Cheers.

Edited by eliasg

yes around 50% in each commitee !

hundred of peoples apply to a univerity then only a certain number are forwarded to NSERC and from those, 50% get it.

It is very difficult to get NSERC this days.....

So even if you won only the PGS-M or PGS-D, it is a big honor !

Thanks! So it seems everyone has a 50% chance of success (or rejection)... fun stuff :)

hundred of peoples apply to a univerity then only a certain number are forwarded to NSERC and from those, 50% get it.

Except for those of us who applied directly to NSERC--there is no university filter so we have no idea if we are any good!

We also MUST wait for our letters (mine will not arrive until probably late next week since I am in the US) because there is no university department secretary who we can call and ask! Unfair:-)

That is true, I didn't realize unversities submit such a small number of applications. Definitely an ego boost seeing the numbers :)

I am applying for the PGS-D. I finished my MSc. last year and will be starting my PhD. in September.

Except for those of us who applied directly to NSERC--there is no university filter so we have no idea if we are any good!

We also MUST wait for our letters (mine will not arrive until probably late next week since I am in the US) because there is no university department secretary who we can call and ask! Unfair:-)

If I do not get my NSERC this year I will be applying direct next October (I'll be out of university for over 1 year). I always thought this would be an advantage, as you know your application will be reviewed no matter what... less hoops to jump through. But yes, it would make the wait even more difficult not knowing what your chance is.

Still... I'll be happy to apply directly to NSERC next October if I get a rejection letter in the near future!

I have a feeling tht this year a lott many ppl in this forum have got rejection than acceptance! I still think once we get the NSERC letter many of us will be on wait-listed... I hope they include the reason why we were rejected for NSERC PGS/CGS so that we can make a better application enxt year... Do they explain or give score in the letter??

I didn't have a chance to read all this thread, and I admit to being less interested now that I've gotten my results, but I saw somebody ask about CGS-D awards. Just wanted to say I did get a CGS-D3, as notified by graduate studies, so they are definitely giving them out. Good luck to everyone who hasn't gotten results yet! I hope tomorrow is your lucky day.

I didn't have a chance to read all this thread, and I admit to being less interested now that I've gotten my results, but I saw somebody ask about CGS-D awards. Just wanted to say I did get a CGS-D3, as notified by graduate studies, so they are definitely giving them out. Good luck to everyone who hasn't gotten results yet! I hope tomorrow is your lucky day.

Thanks for letting us know, lurker! haha. What school are you from?

I have a feeling tht this year a lott many ppl in this forum have got rejection than acceptance! I still think once we get the NSERC letter many of us will be on wait-listed... I hope they include the reason why we were rejected for NSERC PGS/CGS so that we can make a better application enxt year... Do they explain or give score in the letter??

I don't think they do, but I've heard some departements can give you some information about their internal review if you ask for it. However, I haven't been able to convince them to provide me such information in the past.

I have been waiting for PDF results like many of you in this forum, so I emailed the Graduate Studies department at Queens and this is the response I received:

Dear XXXX,

The School of Graduate Studies did not receive the PDF results for the 2012-2013 competition, unfortunately. We normally do, but they were not included this year.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXX

So for whatever reason, it looks as if PDF results are by mail only. I can not handle another weekend of not knowing, especially a long weekend. Please be in the mail tomorrow!!

Hmm, to transfer or not to transfer! Good question! You're way ahead on publications that I am, I need to get busy (i.e. get off this forum). When I applied for Vanier/NSERC I had 2 co-author pubs, lots of conferences, and indicated I was working on 2 first author and 2 co-author pubs, still haven't submitted any of them yet, how is this possible!! But, I stressed the collaborative nature of the projects, with government and international scientists; I broke my leadership into university, academic and community service as I am strong in all three. I think my research proposal was quite strong, and really built on my previous research experience... and I had really good reference letters I think.... and I was 100% sure that I devoted everything I had to that application, every word carefully selected, so much revising etc. I don't know what tipped the scale, but I think I convinced them I have research leadership potential, not just research and leadership separately. Who knows, since they don't give us feedback, which is really too bad.

don't worry Clarrien, i'm in the same boat with my papers still in prep (which is why nserc doesn't really count them in your application!). i broke up my leadership activities the same way and spent a lot of time on every word of my application, emphasizing my passion and enthusaism for the work i was doing. i'm assuming i wasn't weak in the research portion seeing as i got the CGS, so i suppose it was my leadership, but i was told my application was the strongest from my school so i (and grad studies) was kind of surprised i didn't get it. the only thing i can think of is that my leadership activities are extensive, but they are lots of smaller/more typical types of activities (elected student leadership positions, a few community volunteer activities) and not any "big" things (such as starting some sort of organization or doing something else incredible). anyways i'm just trying to figure this out because i just had a major change to my research plan, so i'm considering turning down the CGS and applying for both again in the fall. the way the timing works out, i could take up a new award (assuming i got one) the following may, or start the one i got in january. i'm confident my application would only be stronger in the fall, but it's risky. sorry for the long post, i'm just trying to figure this one out!

Thanks for the info and congrats on your CGS, that's amazing!! You application was much better than mine (I only have one 2nd author paper, one 1st author paper in review, and a bunch of conference presentations). I was still hoping that would be good enough for a PGS but now I'm not so sure. I wasn't in my office at all today so I guess there's still a slim chance I may have just missed getting my results, I'll have to go and see her in person tomorrow. Congrats again!

thanks biogr! our pub record really isn't that different, i only have one more 1st author pub than you. i think if your proposal is good your chances are great! leadership activities are important too. anyways let me know what you find out today, she said our department did very well this year so my thoughts are with you!

I have been waiting for PDF results like many of you in this forum, so I emailed the Graduate Studies department at Queens and this is the response I received:

Dear XXXX,

The School of Graduate Studies did not receive the PDF results for the 2012-2013 competition, unfortunately. We normally do, but they were not included this year.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXX

So for whatever reason, it looks as if PDF results are by mail only. I can not handle another weekend of not knowing, especially a long weekend. Please be in the mail tomorrow!!

Thanks for the update.

May I ask who exactly did you email, I really want to know my PDF results. BTW I just checked my mail and nothing.

Erin Grainger. She notified me that McGill sent off my application. And sorry for the late reply, I was out boozing! Today is a much brighter day now haha

thanks biogr! our pub record really isn't that different, i only have one more 1st author pub than you. i think if your proposal is good your chances are great! leadership activities are important too. anyways let me know what you find out today, she said our department did very well this year so my thoughts are with you!

I just found out I got a PGS-D3!! I'm so happy, I was really not expecting it!

I just found out I got a PGS-D3!! I'm so happy, I was really not expecting it!

congratulations biogr!! i'm so happy for you. i'm just sorry you had to stress over it for an extra night! but i guess there are many more people here still stressing so we should be grateful...

My department has just notified that I've won a PGS-D Scholarship! They didn't specify if it was a D2 or D3 though.

I'm at McGill, so I'd suggest other McGillians to contact their departements and not grad studies, like I did. My department told me they were informed yesterday of the results.

I had: 1 first author paper submitted (accepted in January). Three second author papers published. 5 First author conference presentations, one second author. Last two years of B.Sc. and M.Sc. grades were high, but the beginning of my B.Sc. was not. I also won a few departmental scholarship (during masters and phd), and had to reject an OGS scholarship last year when I left Ontario for my PhD. This is my first NSERC scholarship of any kind (rejected for USRAs and PGS-Ms).