NSERC 2012-2013

dynasty007

Does anyone here have an idea for the chances of getting PDF if on the waiting list?

I only know of one person last year go ended up getting PDF around June that way.

Or, does anyone know of instances where people were on the waiting list and did NOT get an award in June?

Does anyone here have an idea for the chances of getting PDF if on the waiting list?

I only know of one person last year go ended up getting PDF around June that way.

Or, does anyone know of instances where people were on the waiting list and did NOT get an award in June?

The only way to tell that is where you are on the waiting list. If you are number 1, then you probably will. If you are number 30, you probably won't.

It's a crappy answer but that's how it goes!

Sure.

My field is condensed matter physics. My proposal was on organic photovoltaics. I think I did a pretty good job putting it together. The location of tenure was also well justified (I think that part is also quite important and some applicants don't give it that much thought).

At the time of application I had 6 journal articles (5 first author) and 1 accepted. Also a lot of conference presentations (at least 2 per year) and pretty good work experience from my undergrad.

I had received a CGS-D2 during my PhD.

I'm not too surpised I didn't get it. It's very competitive and there are people out there in the double digits for 1st author pubs.

I hope you have a strong possibility. I am a PDF applicant too and my profile is almost similar to you. However, I have to wait ~10 more days to receive the notification letter because my address is in UK.

Sure.

My field is condensed matter physics. My proposal was on organic photovoltaics. I think I did a pretty good job putting it together. The location of tenure was also well justified (I think that part is also quite important and some applicants don't give it that much thought).

At the time of application I had 6 journal articles (5 first author) and 1 accepted. Also a lot of conference presentations (at least 2 per year) and pretty good work experience from my undergrad.

I had received a CGS-D2 during my PhD.

I'm not too surpised I didn't get it. It's very competitive and there are people out there in the double digits for 1st author pubs.

Thank you for sharing with us your profile.

Yes, there are people with double digits papers, but I know two people who didn't have 5 first author papers and got the NSERC PDF 2 and 3 years ago, because they were strong in the other criteria.

Thank you for sharing with us your profile.

Yes, there are people with double digits papers, but I know two people who didn't have 5 first author papers and got the NSERC PDF 2 and 3 years ago, because they were strong in the other criteria.

... and because there were not as many tremendous cuts to the PDF program at the time :P

I believe PDF success rates 2-3 years ago were just under 20% while this year and last they are below 10%!

Of course I'm sure the people you know fully deserved their awards. Well over 9% deserve this award. Oh well, I guess buying expensive planes is a bigger priority.

Just to share the info with you guys

I got a rejection letter in Montreal few minutes ago for a PDF in McGill.

Just few sentences, no reports of evaluation or place on waiting list.

I applied directly to NSERC.

Thanks everyone

... and because there were not as many tremendous cuts to the PDF program at the time :P

I believe PDF success rates 2-3 years ago were just under 20% while this year and last they are below 10%!

Of course I'm sure the people you know fully deserved their awards. Well over 9% deserve this award. Oh well, I guess buying expensive planes is a bigger priority.

you are right, I thought that 10% success rate was "normal" rate for PDFs, but actually until 2010 the rate was 20%...

Everybody has the right to demand a retroaction. They will receive a letter in June that include :

1) The 2 recommandation letters

2) The note given by each reviewer on each category : (Academic, research and Communications) as well as the averaged mark

3) They will also told you if your application had been discussed in Ottawa (in February) or not !

Note : An appliucfation is discussed in Ottawa if and only if the two marks are different between both reviewer !

eliasg, how do you request this information? Where do you have to send an email? Or does it simply go out to every applicant?

Edited by MooDre

I just got a PGS-D rejection letter. I'm in Hamilton.

I thought that I had a chance (3 publications, ~5 conferences, teaching, mentoring, training others who are in government and accademia, local and international collaboration) so it is definitely disappointing. I just hope that my potential supervisor's grant wasn't cut too badly this year (he's up for renewal).

Congratulations to all of you who were successful!

eliasg, how do you request this information? Where do you have to send an email? Or does it simply go out to every applicant?

You have to sen an e-mail to NSER and request a retroaction.

I just got a PGS-D rejection letter. I'm in Hamilton.

I thought that I had a chance (3 publications, ~5 conferences, teaching, mentoring, training others who are in government and accademia, local and international collaboration) so it is definitely disappointing. I just hope that my potential supervisor's grant wasn't cut too badly this year (he's up for renewal).

Congratulations to all of you who were successful!

hard luck sbaldwin

Your grades were good ????

Edited by eliasg

Hi Everyone,

PDF applicant/lurker here...I haven't heard anything yet, but I just thought it might be worth pointing out that last year NSERC claimed that the total number of PDF's would go up significantly this year from last. So the ~10% acceptance rate rumour, if true, might just be because of a higher denominator (i.e., many more applicants than usual).

Well, that's cold comfort I suppose. Anyway, congrats to all winners. To those that were rejected for a PGS this year, please know that I only ended up getting one on my 4th attempt, so keep trying!

In your letter, they indicate a certain e-mail. Send an -email to this.

But do not expect an answer quickly. They are so busy right now !

hard luck sbaldwin

Your grades were good ????

Good point eliasg. My undergrad marks were not very good. I only had a GPA of 3.71 in undergrad, but I did have a 4.0 over the two years of my MSc.

Congratulations man .... Happy for you !

Do u knw whether an applicant is waitlisted or not is indicated in the NSERC letter or we have to request for it as well? I knw I didnt get PGS/CGS-D as conveyed by department but have no idea whether i am wait-listed...

Good point eliasg. My undergrad marks were not very good. I only had a GPA of 3.71 in undergrad, but I did have a 4.0 over the two years of my MSc.

The grades in Msc and PhD dont count a lot. In fact, more than 85% of applicant have 4.0/4.0 in MSc or PhD Courses. So if you have this GPA, it will not disadvantage you. But if you do not have 4.0/4.0, you are disadvantaged.

Only bachelor GPA are important.

This is the reason why you do not get the award.

Next year, i suggest you to explain in the special circumstances section why you get this GPa in you undergrad studies (families situation, you were sick, bla bla ) The reviewer will understand your case.

Note: For CGS-M/PGS-M, 22 applications were sent from polytechnique and all off them have 3.9/4.0 GPa or more.

Do u knw whether an applicant is waitlisted or not is indicated in the NSERC letter or we have to request for it as well? I knw I didnt get PGS/CGS-D as conveyed by department but have no idea whether i am wait-listed...

Your department must Know. The depatment have a list. near your name, they will find R or WL.

R = Rejected

WL = waiting list.

I am 100 % sure that the department have this information.

Your department must Know. The depatment have a list. near your name, they will find R or WL.

R = Rejected

WL = waiting list.

I am 100 % sure that the department have this information.

Is it also indicated in the NSERC letter being send?