MEM 2012 applicants

Hi,

I am just joining your conversation. I also got waitlisted.

Here some facts on my application:

-BSc in Business Administration from Germany (conferred June 2012): GPA 3.95 (WES approved) / Top 5%

- Majors: Finance, Accounting, Statistics

-GMAT: 730 (96th Percentile) AWA 5.5

-TOEFL: 115 (97th Percentile)

-7 months of internship experience during bachelor (Middle East / Africa (UNEP))

-One publication on environmental economics with UNEP (single author)

-One related publication under review by peer-reviewed journal (in collaboration with a known environmental economists from UNEP)

- Scholarship from German government

- Award for best male high school degree in my federal state

- Research Interest: Ecosystem Finance (Payment for ecosystem services) / Sustainable Investment

I believe I got waitlisted, because I am still in my bachelor and I have no post-bachelor work experience.

Looking forward to staying in touch.

Cheers.

Hi Everyone,

For those of you who's top choice was Yale, do you have specific reasons as to why the MEM program at FES was your top choice? (Duke's Nic School was - and still is - my top choice, but I'm trying to be as unbiased as possible. Never thought more specifically about MEM at FES until now...) Your inputs are most welcome - I'd just like to know if it's more the lure of the prestige that a degree from Yale holds versus specific courses/professors/programs at FES that people saw to be more beneficial than what the Nic School has to offer. Thanks in advance!

Hi Everyone,

For those of you who's top choice was Yale, do you have specific reasons as to why the MEM program at FES was your top choice? (Duke's Nic School was - and still is - my top choice, but I'm trying to be as unbiased as possible. Never thought more specifically about MEM at FES until now...) Your inputs are most welcome - I'd just like to know if it's more the lure of the prestige that a degree from Yale holds versus specific courses/professors/programs at FES that people saw to be more beneficial than what the Nic School has to offer. Thanks in advance!

Likely going to Princeton for an MPP due to full funding, but of MEM programs, Yale was my top choice, mostly due to the flexibility of the program. Looking at the EEP concentration at Nicholas (that I would have chosen had I applied), though the majority of the courses I would have selected anyways, I noticed that fulfilling those requirements pretty much fills up your entire 2 years. At Yale, because the only limit on cross-registration is that you take half of your classes at FES, I could have made a customized program consisting of specific advanced classes from the economics, mathematics, and statistics departments that I'm interested in, in addition to the environmental policy/science classes at FES. (I'm interested in the economics of climate change.) I guess this is where the quality of Yale overall fits into the picture--that you can take a large number of classes at some of the world-class departments in the larger university system. For me, some of the economic models that I drew upon for a paper that I wrote were devised by Yale environmental economists, which is why it was the obvious choice for me.

If, on the other hand, you can't place out of a good number of Foundations courses at Yale and none of the past or present Integrative Frameworks classes appeal to you, and if your concentration of choice at Nicholas fits your interests well, then Nicholas is a great program.

Edited by greendiplomat

@LHL: reading more on Nicholas, I'm starting to lean towards that program too. Because of my ecology and conservation interests, I am drawn its marine campus and faculty, on top of the many great terrestrial-focused profs. While I was initially favoring FES for the flexibility that greendiplomat mentions, upon closer examination and emailing with faculty and admin, it seems that I can get the flexibilty I need at Duke.

@LHL. I had Yale as my top choice basically for my interest on sustainability. They have the specialization program in sustainable urban and industrial systems, while in Duke I'll have to mix classes from EPP and other concentration to fit my interests. Yale also has the center for business and the environment, that I thought would be interesting to work in, given the major involvement of professors from Yale SOM. However, I recently read about the business and environment track on the EPP concentration at Duke and it caught my attention, since is pretty much what I wanted to do at Yale. So, If I don't get a spot on Yale I'll be very happy at Duke.

Another reason, more on the financial aspect, Yale gives more money to international students than any other school and they give their financial packages on need basis. So, that would have help me a lot.

For those interested in costal and marine areas, Duke is a better choice. On the Yale conference I attended they said that this was the only area where they weren't very involved.

Thanks for the insights, greendiplomat, curlie-sue, and MCRM! Those are pretty much the same reasons why I applied to FES in the first place. But for what I want to study and eventually do career-wise, I just can't see particular deal-breakers or deal-makers. :/

I thought my soul-searching phase was over... but I guess not!

This may not be terribly helpful, but I emailed admissions today because I have to respond to an offer from Columbia by next Friday, the 16th, and was told that decisions would be sent out no later than March 14th... At least that's a little more specific than "on or around the 15th"...

@kld0608 I'm in the EXACT position you are, only I got in to the MPA-ESP through early action. Enrolled, but probably will withdraw because they refused to give me any $$ help :(

For those that are for sure not going to accept admission to Columbia's MPA-ESP because they are waiting to hear from Yale; could you please just tell Columbia you are not going to attend? That way those on the waitinglist who do want to go have an opportunity to get admitted.

Gracias

Hi Everyone,

In terms of reputation, I personally think FES and Nicholas are more a less on par in the field. So the biggest contributing factor to my preference in MEM @ FES is the fit of their programme. I am particularly interested in Industrial Env. Management and the Sustainable Urban and Industrial Systems focus ticked most of the boxes on my list of aims. There is also a strong emphasis on Industrial Ecology at FES due to the presence of the Center of Industrial Ecology as well as the considerable number of faculty members associated to it. So there is likely to be a sophisticated network of knowledge already in place in this particular track I am hoping to go down.

Also as MCRM pointed out, Yale does appear to be more generous to international students. The one year package I received from Duke is simply too humble in light of the colossal costs of grad school.

heyy, speaking of funding, does anyone know if people that get off the FES waitlist will get a funding offer?

Yes, this was one of my biggest worries. I contacted them and they said that people who got a spot will also be considered for financial aid. However, I don't think we will be very high on the list, so the award might be less that what we would have gotten if we were admitted in he first round!

To those admitted to Yale. Anyone has decided for sure to attend other program (Duke, U penn, Columbia etc) ?

Does anyone have any idea whether Duke or Yale chose 3/30 as their open house day first? For liking to tout the collaboration between the two schools, I am a good bit surprised they would elect to put their accepted student days on the exact same date. It certainly makes me more curious about the dynamic between the two programs.

I just got a phone call from the Assistant Director of Admissions and FinAid from FES, and she said they are trying to have finanial aid packages out and available by tomorrow. Which means, for you waitlisted folks in limbo, hopefully you'll hear some good news in the next couple weeks - sooner rather than later. :)

I just got a phone call from the Assistant Director of Admissions and FinAid from FES, and she said they are trying to have finanial aid packages out and available by tomorrow. Which means, for you waitlisted folks in limbo, hopefully you'll hear some good news in the next couple weeks - sooner rather than later. :)

Yay! Unless FES really surprises me with funding, likely turning this one down, so I hope the spot falls into a deserving person's lap. :)

Thanks for the info! Waiting is getting is very hard. Though I talked to them last week and the problem is that they wont let us know anything at least until April 15th, unless tons of people decline admission super early... If you don't mind I would like to know how the fin aid packages look, in case someone can share that info... Giving that is a MAJOR factor for me, and it would be at least a small idea of what it might be if I get a chance to enroll.

Does anyone have any idea whether Duke or Yale chose 3/30 as their open house day first? For liking to tout the collaboration between the two schools, I am a good bit surprised they would elect to put their accepted student days on the exact same date. It certainly makes me more curious about the dynamic between the two programs.

I got the notification from Duke first and then noticed Yale had it on their website, too. There's definitely some competition between the two since the MEM degrees are so similar, but they do collaborate. There have a joint career fair every year, which attracts all the big environmental businesses/orgs/etc.

As to my top choice between Yale and Duke and why - still Yale, but this may change depending on funding. I'm interested in international water issues (very broadly), and Yale seems to have more international focus. For instance, there's a class called "Environmental Diplomacy Practicum," and the enrolled students complete an internship in NYC during the semester at one of the UN Missions. Amazing. If I go to Yale, I'm thinking about applying to add Public Health for a joint masters.

I am strongly interested in Duke still. I'll get most of the courses I want there, and I really want to take advantage of what UNC-CH has to offer. (I was accepted there, but will likely not receive any funding. They have The Water Institute, an international water conference every year that brings in big names, and are probably top in the Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (WaSH) research field.)

Both are great. For me, it will mostly come down to funding and if my visit to Yale goes well.

Hey,

regarding financial aid from Yale F & ES:

Is it merit or need-based? I heard different opinions on that. Suppose it is a mix.. but if its merit-based, than those from the wait list probably do not have great chances of getting substantial financial aid, right?

One more thing, are there records from previous years on how many percent from the waitlist they accept in the end?

I got an offer from HEC Paris and they want me to pay a quite large non-refundable deposit. Also waiting for results from Oxford...

Kind regards

Hey,

regarding financial aid from Yale F & ES:

Is it merit or need-based? I heard different opinions on that. Suppose it is a mix.. but if its merit-based, than those from the wait list probably do not have great chances of getting substantial financial aid, right?

One more thing, are there records from previous years on how many percent from the waitlist they accept in the end?

I got an offer from HEC Paris and they want me to pay a quite large non-refundable deposit. Also waiting for results from Oxford...

Kind regards

Financial aid at Yale is mostly need based. They do offer financial aid to people who gets accepteed from the wait list. They don't give full tuition, average aid is 15k/year.

Last year they accepted 20-25 people from the wait list but no idea out of how many. And they said these numbers change every year.

To those accepted at Yale, did you hear about financial aid packages yet?

Financial aid at Yale is mostly need based. They do offer financial aid to people who gets accepteed from the wait list. They don't give full tuition, average aid is 15k/year.

Last year they accepted 20-25 people from the wait list but no idea out of how many. And they said these numbers change every year.

Not a word yet sorry, I think they are aiming to have the info out by early this week.

I also remember reading that Yale's aid packages may also be country specific for international students (more for students from demographically under-represented areas). But I can't remember where exactly I read this from.

Not a word yet sorry, I think they are aiming to have the info out by early this week.

I also remember reading that Yale's aid packages may also be country specific for international students (more for students from demographically under-represented areas). But I can't remember where exactly I read this from.

Wow I didn't know that! That would be awesome since I'm from Colombia and they don't normally have a lot of Colombian students! Best of luck on the fin aid packages

Just got my financial aid offer. $20k/yr + assistantship.

Edited by greendiplomat

@GreenDiplomat: Congrats. I got 15/k a year + assistantship @ Yale. It sounds like they tend to give the same 1st year offer in the 2nd year as well. Anyone know anything more about the odds of that happening?

When I spoke with the assistant director of admissions last week, she said we're guaranteed the same financial aid amount the 2nd year, although I don't see that in writing in my letter... I got $25k/yr + assistantship, as well.