MEM 2012 applicants

choosing a school is going to be tough. All these enviro schools have many pros on the pro-con list. What'll make it even harder is the scarcity of comparisons of the various programs. If anyone knows of some good info that hasn't already been shared, maybe you could share it here? thank you!

Yale is having FES Admitted Students events as early as March 20th. Looks like the first wave will definitely go out on time next week! Good luck everyone

http://environment.y...ts/detail/41191

That's pretty cool Yale is already planning events like this for admitted students in different areas. Cross fingers about the incoming decision! I wonder if Duke has any events like this, I just got in Duke Nicholas MEM program today, and Duke Engineering Management last week for the dual degree so it would be pretty cool to meet other potential peers.

@gaozhongzian congrats! Duke has an admission event on March 30-31. Did you receive the environmental management acceptance yesterday?

@MGrubs nothing for me yet.... What about you? It seems they are notifying like two persons per day....

@gaozhongzian congrats! Duke has an admission event on March 30-31. Did you receive the environmental management acceptance yesterday?

@MGrubs nothing for me yet.... What about you? It seems they are notifying like two persons per day....

yeah i just got the email to check my acceptance yesterday, which from the looks of it is later than when a lot of the other peole got their results.

yeah i just got the email to check my acceptance yesterday, which from the looks of it is later than when a lot of the other peole got their results.

Congrats! Maybe it's due to the fact that you applied for dual degree there?

Finally got my official admission letter from Duke! Though I knew I was admitted two weeks ago, scholarship award is still pending.

Today I have a conference with the director of admissions of Yale F&ES, if someone would like me to ask anything for you let me know!

Finally got my official admission letter from Duke! Though I knew I was admitted two weeks ago, scholarship award is still pending.

Today I have a conference with the director of admissions of Yale F&ES, if someone would like me to ask anything for you let me know!

Congratulations!

It's a very basic inquiry, but I'd be curious to know how many applications FES received this year.

Thanks! I'll ask her! Hey you also have to take a prerequisite at Duke right? If you accept admission there do you plan to take it On the first term or before? Do you know which option will be cheaper? My prerequisite is microeconomics

I've got two prerequisites: microeconomics and calculus. Cost-wise, taking a summer course won't be terribly expensive (if it's through a community college), but you'll be accountable to pay up as you register and enroll. Taking it at Duke will allow you to add it to your total costs and you won't need to pay out of pocket immediately. I plan on taking microeconomics this summer and will see if calculus is feasible -- if not, I'll do it while on campus.

And thanks for asking in advance! Best of luck with your meeting. Only a week from decisions, so you may learn some interesting things...

Edited by cunninlynguist

MCRM, if you could ask what day FES'll let us know by, that would be great. I'm dying over here. THANK YOU :):)

Samesies haha. but given their admissions event on the 20th, I bet we'll hear by the 15th, maybe even earlier..

This may not be terribly helpful, but I emailed admissions today because I have to respond to an offer from Columbia by next Friday, the 16th, and was told that decisions would be sent out no later than March 14th... At least that's a little more specific than "on or around the 15th"...

Just got back from the conference! Was amazing and if possible I'm more in love with Yale more than ever!

So yes, she said they wet trying to give desicions away sooner this year, but didn't tell me exact me when, so I guess I'm just gonna check my email thousands of times a day haha

This year 581 people applied to all the masters programs and approximately 220 will be admitted to enroll a class of 140 more or less!

Financial aid options are very kind for internationals.

GRE probably the last thing they check.

That was pretty much all! Hope it eases the nerves on some of you! I'm extremely anxious!

Good luck to all

MCRM, appreciate the insight and glad you had a nice time! Those numbers look quite favorable: in recent years, applications exceeded 600 by a healthy margin. Do you mean that the GRE is essentially the least important part of an applicant's file? It wouldn't surprise me, and FES does refer to their holistic admissions (and they regard "softer qualities" as critical).

I'm confident that by the end of next week we'll be congratulating a few regulars in this thread on their FES acceptances. :D

Thanks for the insider info guys, I'm glad I stumbled on this website, it has been incredibly useful.

It's good to hear sooner rather than later. I'm in a weird position where I should also be looking for work if grad school isn't affordable and 3 decent job leads right now. I would hate to get a job offered without having a decision from Yale.

MCRM, appreciate the insight and glad you had a nice time! Those numbers look quite favorable: in recent years, applications exceeded 600 by a healthy margin. Do you mean that the GRE is essentially the least important part of an applicant's file? It wouldn't surprise me, and FES does refer to their holistic admissions (and they regard "softer qualities" as critical).

I'm confident that by the end of next week we'll be congratulating a few regulars in this thread on their FES acceptances. :D

You are very welcome!!! And I really hope we all hear good news!!!

About the GRE, yes she said that most faculty members don't even know how to interpret very well AW scores for example, so that they want us to have decent/good scores, but having a perfect GRE or GPA is not a sure admission at all!

She did make a lot of comments about work experience, and how this really is taken in to account, specially when it came to decide between two similar applicants, the one with more work experience will probably make it.

Fingers cross for everyone! And please the first one who hears something let us know, so we can all start checking. She said everyone will get the decisions pretty much on the same day.

Thanks MCRM for all this info!

By the sounds of it the decision-making process probably is already done and dusted (220/578), they are just waiting for the right time to release what we have been desperately hoping for for months. :)

Man...it's so nerve-wracking for me because I'm the weird position of having worked for 7 years in research that makes my degree choice really relevant...but it's all been during my schooling. Yale seems to cite 'post-bacc experience' as being almost a top priority for them. I hope they see potential in people who come straight from undergrad...

@kld0608 I'm in the EXACT position you are, only I got in to the MPA-ESP through early action. Enrolled, but probably will withdraw because they refused to give me any $$ help :(

No later than the 14th means it might as well be today :S Good luck everyone!