MEM 2012 applicants

In the last few years, the class size has usually ranged from 120 to 140 students.

Thank you @ Cunninlynguist!

Do you know how many applied? Just trying to get a sense, I'm guessing 200-300?

Here are the latest two data points: 33.9% admitted for Fall 2011, down from 37% the year before. The Yale Daily News also has an article from 2010 that has the admit rates since 2000, which indicates that the steepest admissions rate was from 2009 at 31% (I think these include all master's programs).

Also, MGJR, remember that all schools admit more students to their programs than they have space, since most applicants apply to multiple programs and might not accept their offers to FES. In light of this, 200-300 is likely the number that they admit, not that apply!

Sorry to hear that. Would be nice if you heard some positive news from SNRE this week!

For all the Yale people: did you complete the new optional components of the application (diversity statement & writing sample)?

Yes, for Yale I put in both the diversity statement and a writing sample. The diversity statement I found difficult. As for the writing sample, I found a 10 page paper relevant to my research interests and sent in an excerpt.

Still waiting to hear from all my schools though, congrats on Duke and Michigan. UPenn is my #1 but Yale and Duke would also be great!

cunninlynguist and MGrubs, congrats! tiredwaiting, sorry to hear about Duke. Fingers crossed for U-M for you.

For yale, I also did both the diversity statement and the writing sample. I was up there at the open house in Dec and they said they weren't really sure how much weight they were going to place on these components, or if they would even really consider them seriously at all - this year's the first year they're part of the app, i think. Still, I figured covering all bases would be good.

Does anyone who applied to UCSB have any idea when we hear from Bren?

Hang in there, all!!!

Sorry to hear tiredwaiting :(

I submitted an executive summary for a consulting project as a writing sample but no diversity statement--felt it would be disingenuous to attempt that. Diversity statements seem to be for non-traditional applicants or people with extenuating/unconventional circumstances...

For all the Yale people: did you complete the new optional components of the application (diversity statement & writing sample)?

I did both, as well. I'm a McNair Scholar (first-generation college student from low-income background), and my father is Cherokee (though not technically documented). So, I had something to write about, but I didn't narrow it only to my life and experiences. I tried to focus on how I contribute to higher education and would contribute to the community at Yale.

I also submitted a writing sample because it relates to my research and professional interests and was already written as part of my undergraduate honors thesis. I believe the synopsis I submitted was only the introduction.

Really sorry to hear tiredwaiting.. But really hope U-M and Delaware work out for you :)

I only did the diversity statement for Yale. Basically drawing on my background as a Fulbrighter from New Zealand. (They haven't had a single student from this part of the world for the last 4 years!) I also mentioned a bit about my technical background (albeit it being a more common trait).

Hi everyone! Nice to meet you all! I´m an international student. One year of research experience at MIT and currently working on a green roof company.

GRE V500 Q720 AW3.5

I applied to Yale MEM, MIT MCP EPP, Duke MEM and Michigan SNRE masters.

Just got an email from Michigan and it was a YES!! :) Also admitted to Duke :) , but still waiting for the official letter since I got in the same situation as MGrubs, btw have you hear anything?

Does anyone knows if Michigan would give Financial Aid after admission? And what´s the average ammount that Yale would give to Internationals? My biggest issue is the money :(

Best of luck to all of you still waiting!

Same Xlostlove77 ... I just got the Congratulations! you've been accepted etc etc on the website, not received any sort of official mail yet. Though one of the professors I was in touch with did email me to congratulate me, but he told me to wait for the official email too.

So pretty much obsessing over it too. By the way what program did you apply to..?

Just accepted to SUNY ESF....not at all my safety school...super excited to be in somewhere!

Just accepted to SUNY ESF....not at all my safety school...super excited to be in somewhere!

Congratulations Zach :) which program..?? and did you receive any email..??

Same Xlostlove77 ... I just got the Congratulations! you've been accepted etc etc on the website, not received any sort of official mail yet. Though one of the professors I was in touch with did email me to congratulate me, but he told me to wait for the official email too.

So pretty much obsessing over it too. By the way what program did you apply to..?

I got into the Environmental Communication & Processes, but I actually just got the e-mail today. It gave me my major professor, a commitment to enroll form, and they declined my application for graduate assistantship. The last part is a bit of a bummer, but I can understand, I'm a pol. sci. undergrad, I'm not as qualified as some others to TA undergrad science courses. Still crossing my fingers for the SUNY Diversity Fellowship, money is a big factor in my grad school decisions.

Nope, the letter was surprisingly sparse on details like that. They also didn't mention when I would receive all financial aid info. Even if they don't offer help they normally outline the loan breakdown, what kind of loans etc. I'm going to reach out to them to try and figure out the rest of the process.

Got email acceptance to MS program at Bard Center of Environmental Policy. Happy to have safety school in the bag, but still waiting for other 5 decisions and getting restless!

Congrats! Bard's program looks solid, if a bit obscure. I'm sure you'll be hearing from a few other schools shortly -- and in only 2 weeks or so, we'll learn our fates at Yale.

Congrats! Bard's program looks solid, if a bit obscure. I'm sure you'll be hearing from a few other schools shortly -- and in only 2 weeks or so, we'll learn our fates at Yale.

Ugh...I'm too scared to even guess my chances at Yale. But at 34% acceptance rate is a sign of hope!

I can hardly wait!!! I can't believe we'll know in only two weeks!

Mgrubs any word from Duke? I'm getting inpatient! :P

Hi guys, I'm an international student waiting for Yale FES too, I applied for MESc in EnvHealth..guess I will not have the courage to check the decision for Yale two weeks later...I don't have work experience and I'm wondering whether a 3.7GPA plus some research experiences will work out

By the way, I see people admitted or rejected to UNC ESE master programs, but I'm still waiting for it, seems admission for this program is on a rolling basis this year

Good luck for everyone!

Edited by bsgrok