MEM 2012 applicants

@MCRM: American - California native, transplanted to New Jersey :)

Well big congrats to you! Because on the yale conference they said last year the biggest aid for American students was 20k and internationals 30k, thats why I was curious!

Are you choosing Yale now? :)

Just got into the other half of my dual degree at Yale (the MA in International and Development Economics). I really wasn't expecting this one, given that non-professional programs tend to consider GPA more heavily... Was ready to turn down my FES offer, but I think I'm considering it now. See some of you at the Open House!

Amazing cycle, greendiplomat! You should be very proud.

I've been entertaining the idea of re-applying. Why rush? If I gave myself a year or so to re-take the GRE (and study the right way this time), take a couple of relevant quantitative courses at the local CC, and get another internship or two under my belt, I should position myself better for funding and potentially an FES admit. Sinking $100K in student loans isn't appealing to me. Anyone else having conflicted thoughts?

Just got my financial aid offer from Duke!!!! 12k/year!!! Very happy! Does anyone know if this offer is only for the first year and then you have to re apply for the second year. I don't have it very clear!

@Cunninlynguist: How many years of work experience do you have? Another year probably won't hurt you as long as you can find good internships and/or a full-time job that is remotely related to your academic interests. If FES is ultimately your dream school, you're absolutely right in that there is no reason to rush into a graduate program for the sole purpose of being "done" sooner. Duke's Nic School is still my top choice, but it's ultimately coming down to finances for me (so I'm still back at square one, and taking my time in deciding where I will actually attend).

@MCRM: CONGRATS!!! Not sure about funding for 2nd year, but contact Joe Scarfo at the Nic School. :)

Edited by LHL

I finished undergrad in May, so not a lot of work experience beyond a few internships of varying quality and length. However, I happen to live in the vicinity of several non-profits that would present useful work opportunities, so if I can land something this summer and winter, that would be a solid step. Already applied for a few.

Good luck with your decision -- the financial element weighs heavily on us all!

And I also contacted Mr. Scarfo asking if the scholarship extends through the 2nd year. Haven't received a response yet (sent it on the 8th, I imagine he's busy). If anyone gets word from Duke about the 2nd year, please share.

I have a friend that goes to the Nic school, and she said essentially everyone gets the same funding for the 2nd year. I think the main exception is if your grades are bad the first year. Additionally, let's say you get a 5k scholarship and 5k assistantship to work. The second year it turns into a 10k scholarship and you don't have to do the assistantship work. This may not be the same for everyone, but this is what she knew from her experience (and presumably her friends).

Thank you all for the info. I have email Joe Scarfo

about other issues and he hasn't reply to me either, so I agree with cunnin he must be very busy these days.

@curlie sue, I would be very grateful if you can confirm this info for us at the open house. Also, could you please ask if you can get another kind of assistant ship once you are enroll even if it wasn't offer?

If you can ask about the hole visa process and dead lines for this, I would also be very grateful! :)

I have just applied to SIPA at Columbia for ESP. I have been placed on the waiting list, and was informed that their are only 12 people on the list, and last year half were offered admission. Considering the amount of people denying their admissions from SIPA do you think I have a shot? Dying to hear back from them already!

I have just applied to SIPA at Columbia for ESP. I have been placed on the waiting list, and was informed that their are only 12 people on the list, and last year half were offered admission. Considering the amount of people denying their admissions from SIPA do you think I have a shot? Dying to hear back from them already!

Hey, "Just applied" as in after the deadline??

@MCRM

http://www.nicholas.duke.edu/programs/professional/finances/work-study-and-assistantships

"

Assistantships

Assistantships may be awarded to a select number of professional degree students during their first year of study to assist Nicholas faculty and staff with teaching, research, professional and other projects. It is expected that students will work for eight hours a week on their assigned project for a total of 224 hours. Assistantships require a regular work schedule to be arranged between the student and the faculty or staff member to whom he or she is assigned. During the second year of study, professional students may fulfill the assistantship requirement by working independently on their Master’s Project. Students who receive assistantships are paid by the Nicholas School on the monthly payroll. For the 2010—2011 academic year, the award for eight hours per week of assistance was $2,900. Normally, assistantships are available only for the academic year and require full-time enrollment in the school."

@MCRM

http://www.nicholas.duke.edu/programs/professional/finances/work-study-and-assistantships

"

Assistantships

Assistantships may be awarded to a select number of professional degree students during their first year of study to assist Nicholas faculty and staff with teaching, research, professional and other projects. It is expected that students will work for eight hours a week on their assigned project for a total of 224 hours. Assistantships require a regular work schedule to be arranged between the student and the faculty or staff member to whom he or she is assigned. During the second year of study, professional students may fulfill the assistantship requirement by working independently on their Master’s Project. Students who receive assistantships are paid by the Nicholas School on the monthly payroll. For the 2010—2011 academic year, the award for eight hours per week of assistance was $2,900. Normally, assistantships are available only for the academic year and require full-time enrollment in the school."

Thank you!

Driving to U-M tomorrow. Let me know if you have particular questions you want answered.

I would appreciate if you can ask if they send admission paper letter to other countries. I got the email that I was admitted, but no paper letter yet and the financial aid is suppose to be on the paper letter. I'm not very hopefull but I would like to know what to expect.

Also, could you please ask if there is any more financial aid you can apply too? Tuition is just too expensive compare to the other schools.

For those of you waiting on financial aid from SPEA at Indiana, I called yesterday. They're in the process of notifying candidates now. I hadn't yet been notified because they were waiting on another department to approve a fellowship for me, but she told me about my package over the phone. If you're anxious, I'd recommend calling. She also knew who got the FLAS awards.

"Dear Jason,

Your application to the Bren School of Environmental Science & Management is very competitive and currently is under consideration by the admissions committee. Thank you for your patience as the committee completes its deliberations in the coming weeks. We appreciate your interest in the Bren School and will be in touch with you soon!"

I hate waiting...

Only $10k for one year from FES, no way! Guess Nic School now comes back into the picture for me.

Also I presume everyone else has heard back from SNRE one way or the other? Guess I got the so called "silent rejection" :(