Where is Everyone Applying?

Is it wrong that I still haven't completely narrowed it down?? The definites are University of Miami, LSU, and Ole Miss. I'm still working on finding the best fits out of my remaining choices. I'm only applying to five this year, so I am really looking for those best fit programs that have great professors that I want to work with, and programs where i believe i would stand a chance at being accepted. :)

Ohhh I like this! It's fun seeing where everyone else is applying, especially as we get to know each other around these parts. :D

Mine are in my signature, too, and have been for a while... Though my formerly solidified list has undergone some modifications of late (for the better)!

Wouldn't it be fun if some of us ended up in the same places? Haha...my roommate makes fun of me because I'm always talking about "my virtual friends." I'm so lame sometimes...but hey, I'm an English major. Most of my friends aren't real in the first place!

Edited by bdon19

M.A/Ph.D or Ph.D: Stanford, NYU, OSU, UC Santa Barbara, Boston University, Boston College, UConn, WUSTL

M.A. only: Georgetown, Wake Forest

My interests are 20th century American literature, cognitive narratology, and cultural historicism.

Good luck to everyone. This semester is really killing me!

So far, it just looks like Bdon and I are both applying to Cornell. I'm not counting on that one AT ALL. It's one of my "not going to happen" applications that I am going to try for because you never know.....

*Sigh* I adore Cornell with my whole heart. I met with a LoR writer last week who kept saying, "If you were to end up in Ithaca," and every time I died a little inside. I'm not counting on it because I know I shouldn't. But I love that place. So much.

*Sigh* I adore Cornell with my whole heart. I met with a LoR writer last week who kept saying, "If you were to end up in Ithaca," and every time I died a little inside. I'm not counting on it because I know I shouldn't. But I love that place. So much.

I also adore Cornell: it's easily my favorite Ivy-league school (Brown takes 2nd place). I've never been to Ithaca, but from what I've researched, read, and heard, it sounds like the perfect environment for me, as it is small in size and quite cultured. I'm not applying until next fall, but I'm having a hard time removing Cornell from my tentative graduate school list, even though I'd never be accepted there. It's just a fantastic program, school, and location. I'm similarly becoming enamored with Duke's Literature PhD program, which likewise remains out of reason. I should stop fantasizing about these elite programs. ^_^

@timshel : I'll be applying to Cornell too. I'm also in the "no chance I'll even come close to getting in" boat with this one, and even thinking about it makes my palms sweat. But from everything that I've read, it seems like a good fit for me and I do like what I've heard about the program and the environment.

I'm applying to SUNY Buffalo, Cornell, South Illinois, U Austin, U Virginia (maybe), Toronto, U Maryland and Indiana. Maybe.

@timshel : I'll be applying to Cornell too. I'm also in the "no chance I'll even come close to getting in" boat with this one, and even thinking about it makes my palms sweat. But from everything that I've read, it seems like a good fit for me and I do like what I've heard about the program and the environment.

I'm applying to SUNY Buffalo, Cornell, South Illinois, U Austin, U Virginia (maybe), Toronto, U Maryland and Indiana. Maybe.

Yeah, it's a great fit for me, so I'm going to try, anyway.

I'm also applying to Buffalo, too!

Two of your other schools I really considered: Southern Illinois and Toronto

I thought about Southern Illinois because it's not far from my family, I went there for two years as an undergrad before I met my husband and moved to NC, one of my little brothers is an undergrad there, and my sister-in-law is in Law School there. I ultimately decided against it because its rank is way too low and I'm worried about being able to get a tenure track position out of their program, especially since most of the people they place are in the comp/rhetoric area, which is what they are more known for.

As for Toronto, the only big reason I decided against it is because my focus is American lit, and it seemed silly to me to go to another country to study American lit. I don't know.......

lots of you seem very nervous about certain applications -- why so pessimistic?! Are these places really, really impossible to get into? I genuinely don't know because I've come through the British system. Are the "elite" programs filled with intellectual demi-gods?

My applications are all for very competitive places, I do recognise that... (Yale, Columbia, Chicago, Northwestern, Berkeley, couple of others undecided) -- but then I have a PhD spot secured in the UK, so I don't need backups and I'm not willing to relocate for anything that isn't superior to that place. Other pending UK applications are for a couple of the London colleges and Oxford.

good luck everyone. :)

I thought about Southern Illinois because it's not far from my family, I went there for two years as an undergrad before I met my husband and moved to NC, one of my little brothers is an undergrad there, and my sister-in-law is in Law School there. I ultimately decided against it because its rank is way too low and I'm worried about being able to get a tenure track position out of their program, especially since most of the people they place are in the comp/rhetoric area, which is what they are more known for.

I agree that Southern Illinois's rank is a deterrent, but they're good for Irish Lit which is my field so they fit me really well. This raises such a crappy situation when it comes to deciding because to a certain degree if a program "fits" you then that's where you should go. BUT if that program isn't rank very high you (probably) won't get a job on the other side. So complicated, gosh!

My top choice right now is Buffalo. Cornell and U Austin would be great, but according to what I actually want to study Buffalo is by the best one.

I've seen a lot of people put U of Minnesota down for applications. What's their specialty? I probably sound totally ignorant, but I didn't think to look into them, and now I'm curious. I know I could look it up myself, but people always have better (more detailed) answers than websites.

lots of you seem very nervous about certain applications -- why so pessimistic?! Are these places really, really impossible to get into? I genuinely don't know because I've come through the British system. Are the "elite" programs filled with intellectual demi-gods?

My applications are all for very competitive places, I do recognise that... (Yale, Columbia, Chicago, Northwestern, Berkeley, couple of others undecided) -- but then I have a PhD spot secured in the UK, so I don't need backups and I'm not willing to relocate for anything that isn't superior to that place. Other pending UK applications are for a couple of the London colleges and Oxford.

good luck everyone. :)

I mean, I don't think intellect has much to do with it -- it's a numbers game. If your odds are 14/250-400 chance (also consider that your field's allotment is smaller than that), then it will be difficult to be in the top 14 period. That's why people are so concerned.

As far as where I'm applying:

Harvard, Rutgers, UC: Davis, SUNY: Stonybrook, CUNY: Graduate Center, University of Maryland, Tufts, Boston University, and New York University, but I'm still considering subbing in the following: Northeastern, Northwestern, and University of Illinois: Chicago.

I'm going to ask this somewhat tangential question here, as I do not want to clutter these fora with a relatively simple and useless topic:

What counts as an R1 (research one) university? A professor told me the other day that she believes I would "definitely be accepted at an R1 university" when I apply for graduate programs. The only reference I could find online was a 1994 list of "R1" universities by the Carnegie Research Foundation or something like that. I had also heard (probably on this website) that this system of designation had changed to "Research Very High," "Research High," etc. recently. Does anyone know what counts as an R1 (now Research Very High) university? Also, where could I find information on this online?

I apologize if this is an inane question. I feel really stupid right now. :blink:

(An aside: I figured that this question was relatively fit for this topic, as it involves where everyone plans on applying.)

(Second aside: I'm wondering about the R1 thing simply so I can look into the types of programs to which my professor most encouraged me to apply.)

Edited by Two Espressos

I'm going to ask this somewhat tangential question here, as I do not want to clutter these fora with a relatively simple and useless topic:

What counts as an R1 (research one) university? A professor told me the other day that she believes I would "definitely be accepted at an R1 university" when I apply for graduate programs. The only reference I could find online was a 1994 list of "R1" universities by the Carnegie Research Foundation or something like that. I had also heard (probably on this website) that this system of designation had changed to "Research Very High," "Research High," etc. recently. Does anyone know what counts as an R1 (now Research Very High) university? Also, where could I find information on this online?

I apologize if this is an inane question. I feel really stupid right now. :blink:

(An aside: I figured that this question was relatively fit for this topic, as it involves where everyone plans on applying.)

(Second aside: I'm wondering about the R1 thing simply so I can look into the types of programs to which my professor most encouraged me to apply.)

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Research_1

Best way to sum it up. You're probably looking at top 50ish programs to be considered R1.

And here is the list from 2009 of the R1 schools http://math.la.asu.e.../ResearchI.html

Here is the Carnegie website so you can do more research on your schools http://classifications.carnegiefoundation.org/lookup_listings/standard.php

As everything is stating, R1 is a term from the old classification method, but you will be able to get the idea. I didn't know the terms had been changed...

Edited by lolopixie

University of Maryland, University of Connecticut, University of Delaware, LSU, NYU, Johns Hopkins, Auburn, Vanderbilt, WUSTL, and Rutgers University. I am indeed a dreamer.

What program DO you think you might get into?

What program do you want to get into the most (I know Cornell is clearly a favorite)?