What's Your Focus?

I think I've seen a few threads where someone eventually ask about another's focus, so I figured we should have a thread for it!

I'm interested in studying the rise of the novel, but am especially interested in focusing on Laurence Sterne/Tristram Shandy.

Edited by dimanche0829

My interests are in psychoanalysis, specifically trauma studies and literary testimony, in contemporary lit, especially in relation to collective and cultural trauma in ethnic literature.

I wish I could say that more succinctly.

My focus is on novel theory and the history of the novel. For applications that require me to choose a period, I'm calling myself an 18th-centuryist, but I'm more interested in the development of the form from its rise in 1740 through the early Modernist period. I'm particularly interested in studying the novel from a Bakhtinian perspective, looking at the ways in which different types of novelistic discourse play with one another in a formal/generic sense as well as a socio-historical sense. I'm also interested in issues of canonicity regarding the history of the novel.

Edited to clarify my research interests and adjust it more towards what I plan to write in my SOP.

Edited by bdon19

I won't be applying until next fall (since I won't finish my MA until next December), but if all goes well, I plan to study 20th C American literature and film, with an emphasis on cultural studies and theory (bridging between film and literature--especially postmodernism, psychoanalysis, and feminist theory).

20th century Modernism -- specifically James Joyce -- and, gender theory, pop culture and digital humanities. Visual studies sometimes. Oh, and sometimes poetry... but only sometimes...

20th century Modernism -- specifically James Joyce -- and, gender theory, pop culture and digital humanities. Visual studies sometimes. Oh, and sometimes poetry... but only sometimes...

I was just reading Joyce's raunchy love letters to Nora the other week. Explains so much...

Women & Gender Studies, Feminist Literary Theory, Psychoanalytic Theory, 20th-century American/British lit (and maybe a little late 19th-century lit, as well).

Anyone else here struggle to narrow down their interests? The aforementioned subjects are the most interesting to me and the ones in which I have the most experience, but there are still so many other, very unrelated topics I'd love to look into!

Maybe this is why I'm better off getting my MA first...

I'd vote for him as greatest living writer.

DeLillo has always been on my list of "Authors I Will Get Into One Day Soon." You have now piqued my interest. Which book would you recommend starting with?

DeLillo has always been on my list of "Authors I Will Get Into One Day Soon." You have now piqued my interest. Which book would you recommend starting with?

I know very little about DeLillo, but I was told that White Noise is a good starting point. It's not nearly as lengthy or as complicated as Underworld or his other hefty tomes. I read White Noise last year and loved it. It's extremely funny and profound, not necessarily in that order though. ^_^

I know very little about DeLillo, but I was told that White Noise is a good starting point. It's not nearly as lengthy or as complicated as Underworld or his other hefty tomes. I read White Noise last year and loved it. It's extremely funny and profound, not necessarily in that order though. ^_^

Thanks! I'll check that one out. Though lord knows I won't have time for lesiure reading until around February...

I gotta come out and be the one to say I hated White Noise, but it's definitely representative of a "type" of literature I don't like, so I wouldn't let that stop anyone else... I also don't care for Pynchon *ducks people throwing objects* hey! Easy!

I gotta come out and be the one to say I hated White Noise, but it's definitely representative of a "type" of literature I don't like, so I wouldn't let that stop anyone else... I also don't care for Pynchon *ducks people throwing objects* hey! Easy!

Out of curiosity and despite the risk of derailing this thread, why did you hate White Noise? I've never met someone who disliked it.

As for Pynchon, a beautiful, unread copy of Gravity's Rainbow perennially sits on my bookshelf. If only I had the time to read it. . .

Edited by Two Espressos

As for Pynchon, a beautiful, unread copy of Gravity's Rainbow perennially sits on my bookshelf. If only I had the time to read it. . .

It's a beast, but it kicks White Noise's ass on every level. The first 150 or so pages are an uphill battle, but then it levels out a bit.

Out of curiosity and despite the risk of derailing this thread, why did you hate White Noise? I've never met someone who disliked it.

I found White Noise to be a very smarmy book, but the thing is, I think that's what people like about it. I just can't digest so much character scorn and pretentious humor over the course of a whole book. But, I have some weird principles when it comes to my personal taste that everyone else should just ignore: I don't like to read about rich/aristocrat people, I don't like to read about writers, I don't like to read about the intelligentsia, I don't like overbearing amounts of pop culture references, I don't like an assumption of the reader's leftism (although I am left), and I don't like archetypal female characters. *phew* nice to get all that off my chest.

Oh, and I also have a tough time with political commentary on consumerism in books because rarely do I find that the author (no matter how good they are at the act of writing) has a particularly nuanced view of the issue.

Edited by TripWillis