Favorite pens?

runonsentence

My favorite pen, the Sanford Expresso, black, fine point, had gone off the market for several years and now it is back. Shortly before its temporary departure, the ink formula changed so it faded into a greenish hue. Ideally, everything is back the way it was in the "good ol' days," but I feel like I'm pooping in the tall cotton.

• 4 weeks later...

My girlfriend bought me a space pen a year ago, and I've never looked back. It's really nice to never have to scribble to get the ink running, and it can write from any angle no problem, which is great when lying down with a notebook to brainstorm. It never bleeds either. It really is the perfect pen.

Specifically, I have this one:

http://www.spacepen....ebulletpen.aspx

Edited by OH YEAH

space pen

I've had two space pens--but not with the rainbow finish--and I managed to lose them both. As a lefty, I had an issue with the first bit of ink coming out as a small glob that would then smear. It seems to me that the conspiracy against Southpaws extends to infinity. (Did that sound bitter?)

i just bought a fisher trekker space pen. while i think the bullets are more aesthetically pleasing, i like that i can attach the cap of the trekker to my keychain. i've gone off the deep end putting together my EDC (everyday carry). trying to fit my life on a single keychain has been... fun.

i've gone off the deep end putting together my EDC (everyday carry).

If you're so inclined, details, details, please!

Edited by Sigaba

If you're so inclined, details, details, please!

my current EDC:

mighty wallet tyvek wallet

iphone 3gs

carabiner with: leatherman squirt ps4, 4sevens quark mini 123, fisher trekker space pen, spy capsule with earbuds, house/car/department keys.

BIC lighter

if i'm headed to out campus i add:

macbook pro 13"

AC adapter (if i'm anticipating working for over 6 hours away from home)

however many books i have to read/discuss that day

i'm eying other lighters since i blow through BICs so fast lately. also considering a small spyderco folding knife, but i need to research the PA knife laws a little better first. i've been using a scarf in place of a hanky a lot, so i'm going to grab a handkerchief next time i see one i like. i considered getting a leatherman wave, but i find the squirt is perfect for everything when i'm out and about and, at home, i have all the other tools i'd need.

AC adapter (if i'm anticipating working for over 6 hours away from home)

Have you ever considered having an additional AC adapter in your EDC at all times? This option means you will never look in your bag and realize you forgot to pack your primary AC adapter and that you'll still be GTG if the day becomes longer than anticipated.

i have considered a second AC adapter but it's too heavy/bulky to carry everyday if i can help it. if i'm on campus, there's a computer in our grad lounge that has my dropbox files on it, so i can switch over to that if need be, and almost every other student has a mac computer, so one of them usually has a charger with them.

I find it weird people carry so much stuff with them. I usually carry nothing but the essentials (keys, phone, wallet) and my iPod for the walk to the CS dept. Sometimes I leave my phone at home. I have notebook/pen setup at both my home and office desktops. I also a keep a notebook/pen/reading light next to my bed. I only carry my laptop when I need to give a presentation---if I want to walk around and think, I either use a whiteboard or take a notebook to a random peaceful location on campus. Internet is just a distraction.

Is it that History students do not have offices with computers?

Edited by OH YEAH

I don't have a computer in my office, other than the laptop I bring with me. I also need my lunch, and sometimes some papers. I might also want to bring a book home with me occasionally. I don't know why grad students need to carry a knife and lighter, though.

Edited by eco_env

For me, the three primary reasons why I keep my laptop handy are (a) I've got a boatload of research materials (about 25 GB) on my HDD that have been indexed with Google Desktop Search, (B) I've done a fair amount of work in the private sector and experienced (second hand, of course) what can happen when one doesn't have one's own lap top handy, and © other people can have the cooties.

Insofar as what constitutes a lot of stuff, you should see some of the EDC packing lists of those equipped for the SHTF moment.

we have 5 communal computers in our grad lounge, but it's too noisy/distracting to do work there and the computers barely work. i'd say 3/4 of the students bring their computers with them to campus. but, other than the computer, i don't actually bring more than you do: keys, phone, wallet. all the stuff i listed is tiny and carried on a single keychain.

yeah, we don't have offices at all. students that are TAing get cubicles that they share with one or two other students, and those who are on fellowship get small lockers to store books. the cubicles are housed in a hallway between profs' offices, and we have no windows or natural light anywhere in my department because all the windows are taken up with prof offices.

On the plus side, we get to check out library books and to discover the magical nose goblins previous readers have used as book marks.

Edited by Sigaba

i do stay home all the time. i work from home. and when i'm ABD, i'm actually going to move to a different city, because there's no lab or office or computer on campus that i need for my work. i kinda like it. i can do all of my data processing and writing (and some of my research, if it's digitized) from coffee shops or park benches. i dig that.

We're getting completely off-topic here, but anyway- I spend time on campus because it makes me feel more productive (even if I'm just on GradCafe ;)) and I think it saves me money on electricity. I will stay at home if I have nothing specific to do on campus all day, though. The nice thing about bringing my laptop to campus (since I don't have a computer) is that I can escape my artificially lit cubicle and work outside. I might lose my internet connection in some spots- but that's good for me, as long as I have all the pdf's I need. I could also work in the lab, but it's cramped and the computers there are old and dysfunctional. Plus I have to wear closed toed shoes and can't eat my lunch there.

i do stay home all the time. i work from home. and when i'm ABD, i'm actually going to move to a different city, because there's no lab or office or computer on campus that i need for my work. i kinda like it. i can do all of my data processing and writing (and some of my research, if it's digitized) from coffee shops or park benches. i dig that.

But don't you miss out on the community and company of other grad students? So much collaboration goes on in my program as a result of us all sitting in the same room.

But don't you miss out on the community and company of other grad students? So much collaboration goes on in my program as a result of us all sitting in the same room.

A concern among some historians is the degree to which the craft is overly specialized. Yes, there are big picture issues that can serve as a Big Tent, but early on in one's career, the focus is more on the individual trees than the broader forest. Even two graduate students who have the same DA may have little to talk discuss.