Favorite pens?

runonsentence

This topic might out me as completely neurotic, but for those of you who still take notes and underline on hardcopies, what are your favorite pens and why?

I really like Uniball Signo Gel Grip pens (medium point) when I'm writing out notes because of how smoothly they write and how dark the ink is, but they do tend to run through quickly because of the medium point. It's hard to underline with them or write in books, too, because they bleed so much and splotch a bit (they have a gel ink, I believe).

I also really like fine and medium Papermate Flexgrip ballpoint pens for underlining and as more of an "everyday" pen. They're my favorite standby of the affordable/cheap pens out there.

Curious to know what others use! I'm celebrating a raise in my stipend by buying a supply of nice pens from the store (instead of only relying on the freebies I've snagged from publisher booths at conferences, hah).

Edited by runonsentence

I almost exclusively use the Sharpie pens. Black for general work, red for grading, and blue for marking up papers. They write smoothly, on almost anything and are comfortable to hold.

Nice topic! And congrats on raising your stipend :D

My favorite note-taking pen is the Bic 4-color pen. I like multi-colored pens because I can change the color without changing the pen, and I like this one in particular because works well for me as the tips are not too fine (I tend to press hard on the paper when I'm writing for some reason, and fine-tipped pens tear the paper!).

I also love Stabilo Boss highlighters for studying. I use them in 4 colors: yellow, orange, green, and pink.

For general, everyday use, I just use the ones from conferences. I have dozens of them :)

As for pencils, any Zebra mechanical pencil would do. They're the best!

Yay, I'm so glad other people share my neurosis with pens :D. I pretty much exclusively use the BIC Z4 roller 0.7mm in black. So smooth. I can't really find them in stores anymore so I have to buy them on ebay, which I realize is fairly weird. But oh wells =)

This is a fun topic! I'm not quite neurotic with pens, though I do have some stipulations: the ink must be black, the ink must not smudge, and they must be comfortable to hold.

I really like Zebra brand pens. They have a metal body, which is cool. (http://www.amazon.co...19384834&sr=1-1)

I'm currently using BIC Atlantis pens, and I've enjoyed using them. (http://www.amazon.co...19384618&sr=1-1)

I'm sure that there are much better pens that I haven't discovered, but as far as inexpensive pens go, the above work well.

Edited by Two Espressos

I used to use gel pens a lot because of how comfortably smooth writing felt, but they always bled through the page if I was writing on both sides, making everything less legible. I bought a set of Bic Atlantis pens before this year; they work well in that respect, but I find it harder to write neatly.

roller ball for life. i don't have a brand preference, but any pen i get needs to be a rollerball. i bought a few felt tips recently and while they're better than ballpoint by a mile, they just aren't the same... some day (when i finish my PhD? get a job? get tenure? retire?) i'll splurge on a montblanc.

This topic might out me as completely neurotic, but for those of you who still take notes and underline on hardcopies, what are your favorite pens and why?

I really like Uniball Signo Gel Grip pens (medium point) when I'm writing out notes because of how smoothly they write and how dark the ink is, but they do tend to run through quickly because of the medium point. It's hard to underline with them or write in books, too, because they bleed so much and splotch a bit (they have a gel ink, I believe).

I also really like fine and medium Papermate Flexgrip ballpoint pens for underlining and as more of an "everyday" pen. They're my favorite standby of the affordable/cheap pens out there.

Curious to know what others use! I'm celebrating a raise in my stipend by buying a supply of nice pens from the store (instead of only relying on the freebies I've snagged from publisher booths at conferences, hah).

Cosigned on the Papermate Flexgrip:

2011-10-23%2020.49.27.jpg

I started using pencils religiously from college, so I just grab whatever free pens I can find. (Though I rather like Zebra brand.)

Now for pencils, I am picky and only use Bic Maticgrip .7mm #2 mechanical pencils.

@Behavioral Holy stash, Batman!

Wicked pen choices, all. Question for all the Sharpie pen users: how bad is the bleed through on the page?

I use the fine point sharpies on regular notebooks and there is barely any bleedthrough for me; Then again, I write very fast and very lightly.

Hmmph. Board ate my post when I tried to put in a hyperlink.

Anyway- I find that the sharpie pens (I use the Sharpie Grip Stick Fine Pens http://www.amazon.com/Sharpie-Stick-Point-Colored-1758054/dp/B002M1HQ0M/ref=pd_sbs_op_4) don't bleed at all- either through the page or on the page. I've been using them over a year, on a variety of papers, and haven't had any problems. It's actually one of the reasons I use them- they don't bleed, they're waterproof, and they have good, lasting colors.

I do have some fine point sharpies I use around the lab for marking stuff up, and on the occasion that I use one to write, I find they bleed worse than the pens, by a good bit.