Favorite pens?

runonsentence

A concern among some historians is the degree to which the craft is overly specialized. Yes, there are big picture issues that can serve as a Big Tent, but early on in one's career, the focus is more on the individual trees than the broader forest. Even two graduate students who have the same DA may have little to talk discuss.

maybe putting them all together in an office would help.

historians really don't collaborate. i mean, they'll read drafts of each other's work and offer comments, but that's it. our discipline is, generally speaking, not conducive to collaboration and that has nothing to do with sharing an office with other students.

i see people plenty before and after classes, i hang out with them all a lot, but if i don't have to be on campus for class, i never go. i should mention (maybe i already did?) that our department HAS NO WINDOWS. there is absolutely no natural light, we have no idea if it is daylight or dark out, if there's a blizzard or a downpour. it's depressing and it is not a comfortable environment to work in, so most students don't work there.

also, yay pens.

• 1 month later...

My pen of choice is Uni's Super Ink. Writes with the perfect size (.05) and I love the rich black of ink pens. I hate the ball points that have the ugly metallic ink. The one drawback is it can smudge if you rub it right after writing something.

For years I've lived off my supply of various free pens from promotions or old office jobs. Until my MA department gifted everyone last Christmas with a 3-pack of these pens: http://www.staples.com/Staples-Xeno-Retractable-Ballpoint-Pens-Medium-Point-Blue-Dozen/product_577923 Now I'm totally addicted and they're the only pens I want to use. The smoothest ballpoint writing experience I've had.

So my choice: Staples' brand XENO ballpoint blue ink clicky pens. All the packs are multicolor (casings), so I have a rainbow of them floating around my messenger bag, desk, bedside table drawer, office, etc. Happiness for this grad student! Now if only they were refillable....

Edited by bespeckled

For a special gift, Swarovski Crystalline Lady (slim) Ballpoint pens with 160 sparkling crystals (nice distraction during boring presentations): http://www.amazon.com/Swarovski-Crystalline-Lady-Ballpoint-Amethyst/dp/B005FLQX0A/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1327891697&sr=8-5.

My favorite pen is apparently called a "Sanford uni-ball ONYX micro". It's green. Also it was free in the department supply room. So. Yeah.

Great topic! My own personal obsession is with my Uni-ball Jestream RT, fine point ONLY! Writes with a delicious smoothness, like a gel pen, but with no smudges or mess. When my stash is running low, I am a tyrant about people "borrowing" them :angry:

I used to use gel pens a lot because of how comfortably smooth writing felt, but they always bled through the page if I was writing on both sides, making everything less legible. I bought a set of Bic Atlantis pens before this year; they work well in that respect, but I find it harder to write neatly.

As a lefty, I had an issue with the first bit of ink coming out as a small glob that would then smear. It seems to me that the conspiracy against Southpaws extends to infinity.

For the southpaws or those with "bled through" problems, give 'em a try! You can find the "Bold" version (1.0mm) in Target, grocery stores, etc. but I have only found "Fine" (0.7mm) online or at a stationary store in Japantown.

I'm a bit of a pen snob. I sometimes just browse pen websites to see what fancy ones out there. Graff von Faber released a stingray leather fountain pen a few years ago as part of their "Pen of the Year" line. I drooled a bit.

As for the pens I use most often while at school: Parker's Urban Premium Chiseled and a Retro 51 Tornado (I have two of their limited edition pens, including their copper aniversery pen). For less snobby options, I really love Bic's Atlantis pens, and Papermate's new InkJoy pens write very nicely. They have the darker ink lines I associate with rollerballs, but have the ink flow control of a ballpoint. Good combination, in my book.

http://www.amazon.com/Parker-Chiseled-Ballpoint-Metallic-1774706/dp/B003JTUYDC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1328062284&sr=8-3

http://www.amazon.com/Retro-51-Tornado-Lacquer-Rollerball/dp/B001TB05VS/ref=sr_1_2?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1328062631&sr=1-2

Two things.

1) For the past few years, I have not bought any pens. Most of my pens come from hotels or conferences, where I loot the "free stuff" booths. I take my free pen/anything else collecting seriously. Occasionally, I accidentally steal lab pens. But my pens end up becoming lab pens anyway... circle of pen life.

2) I totally misread the title of this topic.

• 2 weeks later...

The inkier the better for me, I'm a cursive guy and like a steady flow of the black stuff. Pilot Varsity disposable fountain pen and the G2. Definitely smudgy and drippy so if you can't keep your palm out of the way stick with the Sharpies, LePens, etc.

The Lamy Safari is supposed to be a very nice, solid every day fountain pen.

I've also heard very good things about Noodler's ink- especially their bulletproof black- supposedly, it even lets you write on paper as thin as newsprint on both sides, and is completely waterproof.

Massively in love with Sharpie Pens. I carry them around for everything. Not fancy, but they're just so... dependable, and not having to press really hard to write makes me feel calm and relaxed for some reason (not that other pens are strenuous or have ever made me feel anxious; Sharpie Pens just give me warm-fuzzies).

• 1 month later...

I get 24# paper that is smooth, usually will pay a bit more for this but its much better to write on. For pens, I prefer the Uniball Elite or the Uniball weatherproof ones so as to avoid smudging and smearing. However, I still enjoy my 0.3mm mechanical pencil.

Boo to you Pilot G2 gel pen lovers! Zebra Sarasa gel pens are way better (I converted a year ago, lol)! Plus I usually take notes on a sketchpad or thicker paper, so the ink doesn't bleed while I enjoy the joys of inky silk smoothiness. /drool

mmGqR.jpg

And boo to people who stick with free school supplies! Your equipment is bad, and you should feel bad! :D

Edited by Pauli

Where does one buy zebra pens??! How have I missed them during my years of being a school supply enthusiast?!

I found them randomly at my university's bookstore while initially looking for Pilot G2 pens, but I resorted to Amazon when i couldn't find them in the office big box stores. :o