0% Confidence of Acceptance

it was american studies, but it would makes a lot of sense if this person was lying; he talked about being accepted by stanford's modern thought and literature program and yale's american studies in front of the duke faculty, which was probably a weird attempt at manipulation. i just figured there would be so few acceptances that it would definitely be possible for them to have gone out without folks on here hearing about it. i tend to trust people when i shouldn't, so i apologize for conveying what was probably a lie.

Edited by vordhosbntwin

I had a photo of myself taken for the first time in quite a few months yesterday. When I saw it I was like, "Ooooh, so that's why all my pants are so tight lately."

This process isn't just wrecking my nerves, but also my waistline.

Now back to my ice cream.

I had a photo of myself taken for the first time in quite a few months yesterday. When I saw it I was like, "Ooooh, so that's why all my pants are so tight lately."

This process isn't just wrecking my nerves, but also my waistline.

Now back to my ice cream.

This. It was probably also the fact I stopped waiting tables and started hanging out in the library for 8 hours a day 1.5 years ago.

Oh, and another thing from the world of weird coincidences. So I got this text friday or saturday night from a Boston number telling me that they'd "be at Reservoir soon," which I assume means Reservoir on the green line. Since I am grasping for any sign that I'd get into BU, Harvard, and Tufts, my brain has deduced that the person was: 1) In Harvard/Tufts/BU GSAS and responsible for calling me. 2) Got my number mixed up with someone else's. 3) And shortly thereafter arrived at Reservoir. SO yeah.

Now, there's some sound logic. That's hilarious.

And that's my T stop - wish I could say it was me, texting words of encouragement, but alas, I was drowning my stress and sorrows in Grendel's in Cambridge, trying my hardest NOT to look in the direction of a certain looming iconic bell tower on my way back to the red line. It's really torturous to be living in this city during this "process."

So... this week... good luck to everyone - keep your heads up!

Along similar lines, all the rejected people in the Brown thread are giving me the following feelings:

1) Hopelessness. It is virtually impossible to get into an Ivy.

2) The strong desire to give up hope on getting into any other schools. I know I should be happy with the acceptances I have (and I am very happy, don't get me wrong), but a few acceptances has given me a thirst for more, more. But my rejection from Brown has made me feel like it will never happen. Brown was my best fit (or so I had led myself to believe).

3) Commiseration with the approximately five bajillion of us who were rejected today. And incredible envy for Mr. Grimwig, apparently in a cohort of one this year.

I feel really guilty for wanting to get into more programs when other people are still 0-for. Still, Harvard or Yale would be incredible.

Now, there's some sound logic. That's hilarious.

And that's my T stop - wish I could say it was me, texting words of encouragement, but alas, I was drowning my stress and sorrows in Grendel's in Cambridge, trying my hardest NOT to look in the direction of a certain looming iconic bell tower on my way back to the red line. It's really torturous to be living in this city during this "process."

So... this week... good luck to everyone - keep your heads up!

So, you agree that I am right? The numbers in the number... seemed very Harvard-ish... if you ask me.

I feel really guilty for wanting to get into more programs when other people are still 0-for. Still, Harvard or Yale would be incredible.

Same here. And really, at this point any more acceptances would just make my life harder. I should be happy. And I am.

But, goddammit Trip I really want you to get into Harvard or Yale (and I still, despite everything I just said, want to get into Princeton or Cornell). :rolleyes:

Same here. And really, at this point any more acceptances would just make my life harder. I should be happy. And I am.

But, goddammit Trip I really want you to get into Harvard or Yale (and I still, despite everything I just said, want to get into Princeton or Cornell). :rolleyes:

You shouldn't feel guilty. Think of it this way--if you get into an ivy league school and end up going there, you open up a spot at your other acceptance schools for someone who was waitlisted. You're not taking a spot away, necessarily. Besides, the most qualified/best fit should get in, regardless of how many acceptances they have. I'm rooting for both of you! (As I curl up in the fetal position, force my dog to cuddle with me, and cry over my rejections.)

If I got into either, the sheer contrast of application outcome with the very existence of this thread (courtesy of moi) would cause a tear in the space/time fabric. I'll be pulling for you to get into Princeton and Cornell too.

Look at it this way; if we get into any of those schools, we'll be gifting our acceptances to waitlisters. Wow, that just made me feel a whole lot better...

I'm pretty sure the 0-fers (hi, join the club) aren't getting into Yale or Harvard anyway

Don't be too sure about that. An 0-6 got into Columbia today.

Best news I heard all year. Let's print this up on some billboards to get us through the next month!

Dudes, this week/end is kind of breaking me.

The prospect of receiving 2 or 3 more rejections (in addition to the three in as many days I've just received) from my hold-it-close-to-your-heart-and-don't-admit-that-you-want-it-because-not-getting-in-would-hurt-too-much schools this week is just a little too much to process right now.

I'm angry with myself for feeling this pathetic, because I am very lucky to have some options for the Fall....but every single rejection makes me feel more and more like those two acceptances were a giant mistake, and I clearly don't deserve them, and the minute I set foot in any school I'm going to be found out and instantly exposed as an intellectual fraud. I'm terrified. How will I ever survive school if I can't even survive this process? My confidence, which was sky high a few weeks ago, has utterly deserted me.

I hate this month. I hate this week. I hate today.

Dudes, this week/end is kind of breaking me.

The prospect of receiving 2 or 3 more rejections (in addition to the three in as many days I've just received) from my hold-it-close-to-your-heart-and-don't-admit-that-you-want-it-because-not-getting-in-would-hurt-too-much schools this week is just a little too much to process right now.

I'm angry with myself for feeling this pathetic, because I am very lucky to have some options for the Fall....but every single rejection makes me feel more and more like those two acceptances were a giant mistake, and I clearly don't deserve them, and the minute I set foot in any school I'm going to be found out and instantly exposed as an intellectual fraud. I'm terrified. How will I ever survive school if I can't even survive this process? My confidence, which was sky high a few weeks ago, has utterly deserted me.

I hate this month. I hate this week. I hate today.

SERIOUSLY. I mean, what the fuck? Three very good schools accepted me on the week of the 6th and got me thinking, "WOW, I am awesome and I'm going to get into Harvard!" Three implicit rejections later, and I'm totally reeling. It makes me feel like my first three made a huge mistake or something. :blink:

SERIOUSLY. I mean, what the fuck? Three very good schools accepted me on the week of the 6th and got me thinking, "WOW, I am awesome and I'm going to get into Harvard!" Three implicit rejections later, and I'm totally reeling. It makes me feel like my first three made a huge mistake or something. :blink:

15 minutes later the third implicit became a waitlist at RUTGERS. Wow.

I understand where you are all coming from, trust me I realize how awful ANY form of rejection feels and the way it makes you second guess everything from your intellect to your hair color...but as a "0 for" person I would be elated to get in anywhere at this point. I'm pretty positive this is going to be an across the board rejection season for me, and given that I didn't apply to many "prestigious" programs, the denials have been rough on my ego. I hope everyone can find a place of happiness and gratitude in where they are accepted because it means people WANT you and your intelligence has impressed a board of scholars in a field you're hoping to make your life's purpose...but I also know how much it hurts to want something that seems like such a far reach, so I hope everyone's dreams come true :)

Edited by andsoitgoes161

I understand where you are all coming from, trust me I realize how awful ANY form of rejection feels and the way it makes you second guess everything from your intellect to your hair color...but as a "0 for" person I would be elated to get in anywhere at this point. I'm pretty positive this is going to be an across the board rejection season for me, and given that I didn't apply to many "prestigious" programs, the denials have been rough on my ego. I hope everyone can find a place of happiness and gratitude in where they are accepted because it means people WANT you and your intelligence has impressed a board of scholars in a field you're hoping to make your life's purpose...but I also know how much it hurts to want something that seems like such a far reach, so I hope everyone's dreams come true :)

Yeah, I mean, uhh, I don't want to shit on anyone or anything, but the "0% confidence" thread has become the "I wish I could get into more than 3 top 20 programs" thread, and I don't think that's helping the 0-fer class a whole lot.

Edited by thestage

Yeah, I mean, uhh, I don't want to shit on anyone or anything, but the "0% confidence" thread has become the "I wish I could get into more than 3 top 20 programs" thread, and I don't think that's helping the 0-fer class a whole lot.

You are 100% right.